Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you all do to delete the cat on a 951?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 03:22 PM
Sentinelist
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mangonesailor
I believe you can just hollow it out. Anyone with a few wrenches, a broom and a shop-vac could do it.

I should probably do this next weekend too.
Apparently not- it's welded in.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:37 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

you hollow out a cat by cutting a hole and gutting it.

but, you have to carefully hide the weld patch.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:40 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I dont want to be the southern neighbor voice of bad news or anything, but I propose that you reconsider taking the cat out. It has nothing to do with all the offroading you might do , greening, or inspections.

The Porsche 951 is one, or could be one, of the few cars ever built that probably runs "better", in most configurations anyway, with the cat in place. If you crank 400Hp into it then you might need a delete, or put on complete race set ups etc, but in street trim they are more finicky with out the cat in place IMO.

There are some new and better cats around too. There are a number of cars that deleted the cats and were later trying to put it back in.

Go over it with your indie there and see what his experience is. I am betting he says that the performance is no better, but the tuning hassles can be larger.

Just my 0.02.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:54 PM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
you hollow out a cat by cutting a hole and gutting it.

but, you have to carefully hide the weld patch.
Um, no. This is incorrect. You just need to unbolt it and ram something though the inlet to break up the catalyst. This can be quite difficult since the ceramic honeycomb on newer cat's can be quite resilient. I find a metal fence post or picket works well. Trying to gut one from a hole cut in the side of it would be frustrating. If its a welded in cat you are better off cutting it off, gutting it as described above and welding it back in.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:32 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get a test pipe, don't hollow your cat. You may have to go back to stock or sell the car in the future.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:57 PM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOp
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...0%281986-88%29

This is what I'm going to do..that way I can keep the Cat in tact..you know, in case the lawman gives me any trouble.
Originally Posted by Sentinelist
That's what I'm looking for, and have the same thought. I had a test pipe on an old Passat that worked great- I do intend to hang onto the cat just in case (it's still good, but cars older than 25 years in Texas no longer go through emissions tests).

Is the OE cat welded on there or can I unbolt the thing and DIY with a wrench? I haven't jacked it up to take a look at this specifically.

Just to be sure we’re on the same page Chris, this is what BlackOp linked for you… Bursch Test Pipe.

It replaces the entire pipe from Turbo down pipe to muffler section.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:57 PM
Sentinelist
Pro

Originally Posted by TexasRider
I dont want to be the southern neighbor voice of bad news or anything, but I propose that you reconsider taking the cat out. It has nothing to do with all the offroading you might do , greening, or inspections.

The Porsche 951 is one, or could be one, of the few cars ever built that probably runs "better", in most configurations anyway, with the cat in place. If you crank 400Hp into it then you might need a delete, or put on complete race set ups etc, but in street trim they are more finicky with out the cat in place IMO.

There are some new and better cats around too. There are a number of cars that deleted the cats and were later trying to put it back in.

Go over it with your indie there and see what his experience is. I am betting he says that the performance is no better, but the tuning hassles can be larger.

Just my 0.02.
Ha, ok thanks. I just see it as an unnecessary constraint at this point that is causing undue backpressure. I feel almost certain that replacing it with a test pipe will have a noticeable difference on my chipped car, though your thoughts are reason for valid concern. Has doing this been known to cause more headaches than it's worth? That would be a deal breaker if so- I love the relative daily-driver reliability I have in the car now. In the end, I won't balk about leaving it in place, but want to push the limits where it makes sense.

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe
Get a test pipe, don't hollow your cat. You may have to go back to stock or sell the car in the future.
Agreed- not interested in destroying it.

Originally Posted by 951Saga
Just to be sure we’re on the same page Chris, this is what BlackOp linked for you… Bursch Test Pipe.

Ah, ok that does clarify- different than what I was linked to and considering. That's more like what I want to do, possibly. Thanks for this.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:15 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a hollowed out car and my car put down 200 whp on the heartbreaker dyno.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:07 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 951Saga

Wait, is this pipe different from the link I posted?
Old 08-13-2012, 12:07 AM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You got it right, Pelican simply didn’t have a photo and I wanted to be sure Chris knew he would not have to cut out the cat and weld in a section of pipe.

Also if you buy the Bursch pipe, have it ceramic coated. The production finish will quickly degrade allowing rust to take over, especially in my region.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:25 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,399 Likes on 1,629 Posts

If I take a cutting wheel and cut out the cat can I just slip on a 2.5 inch pipe and clamp it? Do the ends need to be flared out to slip over the existing pipes?

Any truth that removing the cat can cause tuning problems? I'm thinking that if I have a 25 year old cat (even ten years old) then it isn't doing anything.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:54 AM
aben8057
Drifting

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
If I take a cutting wheel and cut out the cat can I just slip on a 2.5 inch pipe and clamp it? Do the ends need to be flared out to slip over the existing pipes?

Any truth that removing the cat can cause tuning problems? I'm thinking that if I have a 25 year old cat (even ten years old) then it isn't doing anything.
What I did was....cut out the cat and had the piece going to the muffler flared a bit. I made sure my first measurement priority was the universal high flow cat. The cats come in numerous lengths so try to find one close to the 951 dimensions.

Once I had a proper fitment for the cat, I was able to focus on the 2.5 pipe. Its better to cut the pipe longer then trim it away until the fit is tight. Remember measure twice cut once and make sure you have enough pipe for a tight fit. You also dont want to cut it too short so there is a large gap where fumes can escape.

I then wrapped both seams using 2" exhaust repair tape (make sure you overlap when wrapping), then placed a band clamp on top of the seam/tape. No exhaust leak or fumes..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-692250/
Old 08-21-2012, 11:55 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,399 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Originally Posted by aben8057
What I did was....cut out the cat and had the piece going to the muffler flared a bit. I made sure my first measurement priority was the universal high flow cat. The cats come in numerous lengths so try to find one close to the 951 dimensions.

Once I had a proper fitment for the cat, I was able to focus on the 2.5 pipe. Its better to cut the pipe longer then trim it away until the fit is tight. Remember measure twice cut once and make sure you have enough pipe for a tight fit. You also dont want to cut it too short so there is a large gap where fumes can escape.

I then wrapped both seams using 2" exhaust repair tape (make sure you overlap when wrapping), then placed a band clamp on top of the seam/tape. No exhaust leak or fumes..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-692250/
Thanks for the input. Bought pipe and clamps from NAPA today as well as a flaring tool.

Has anyone tried to get this done with the exhaust still attached to the car? I'm thinking you have to take the exhaust down to get it done.

Quick Reply: What would you all do to delete the cat on a 951?