Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Electric Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 05:35 PM
Nashio
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well after I finish sealing up all my oil leaks (should be done this week) I am going to change the clutch and flywheel and get those balanced before putting on the car. Was then going to take the oil pan off and redo the seal (before it starts leaking) and install and windage tray and oil scraper. While I am there I will replace the oil pump and the pickup tube. Then change my motor mounts. This is the first car I have had where the while I am there syndrome really gets me.

As for the fuel rail I already had it inspected and all is fine for now. I am routinely under the hood, and that is one of the first things I always check are the fuel lines.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:59 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Very ingenious. I think I would have asked my fabricator to remove the water pump impeller only and leave the belt pulley on. If only to allow the use of the original belt. I love this sort of experimentation, GL
Old 08-29-2012, 06:00 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice work but I think I would have mounted a pulley on the WP and used the tensioner as designed.

I do like your project and I will be doing something similar using a BMW electric pump.

Again nice job
Old 08-29-2012, 06:12 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Where in SD are you? I would love to see this thing.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:13 PM
Nashio
Instructor

Thanks guys. And that would be another way of doing it. I want to reduce as much drag as possible on the crank so another pulley even free spinning still has friction that adds up in the higher rpms. Might be minimal but every little bit counts. Also the belt I am using is thicker and grabs around the entire cam and crank.

I live over by San Diego State about 10 mins from there. Maybe this weekend we can meet up? My car is currently up on jack stands while I am redoing my seals and gaskets. Where abouts are you?
Old 08-29-2012, 11:21 PM
ditch68
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, great to see such innovation, just thinking it out and doing it.

If if you would have asked before attempting it like you did, "is it possible to do this?" I bet you would have gotten a flurry of "too much work, too expensive, not worth it, tried it, didn't work" responses.

Instead, you did it, and posted the pics. Nice job.

Jeff
Old 08-30-2012, 01:09 AM
Nashio
Instructor

Originally Posted by ditch68
Nice, great to see such innovation, just thinking it out and doing it.

If if you would have asked before attempting it like you did, "is it possible to do this?" I bet you would have gotten a flurry of "too much work, too expensive, not worth it, tried it, didn't work" responses.

Instead, you did it, and posted the pics. Nice job.

Jeff
Thank you. And I have always wanted to install an electric water pump on one of my cars. But I just kinda kept it to myself and researched for about 3 months before I ended up contacting JNS on here. By then I needed that push to go ahead and do it. You have no idea how many people I know in real life when I told them what I was doing would say it is a "waste of money" or "its a Porsche your just going to ruin it" and even, "why fix it if it is not broken?"

I will say there were times during the conversion where I just wanted to up and quit and go back... but I am glad I continued through it wasn't easy going into this pretty much not knowing if this would work.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:10 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Inspiring. Thanks for posting.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:39 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Very nice write up, may consider this down the road.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:22 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Nice project! I have a couple of the Davies Craig pumps sitting here waiting for a project.

A couple of things that you might not have thought of –
If you removed the thermostat then you have left the small opening behind the thermostat open – that will allow coolant to recirculate around the block and bypass the radiator. Looks like you are reversing the coolant flow direction – nice idea, except the ECU water temp sensor may read low (cold) and richen up your mixture.

I am not a fan of balance shaft deletes – I have had 3 motors come in my shop that were destroyed by oil pump pick ups failing in balance shaft delete motors. The vibrations are high frequency ‘buzzing’ – put your hand on the motor and rev it a bit – it will feel like an electric shaver. Keep an eye on your oil pressure – if it start to act odd or the engine takes longer to prime and build pressure from a cold start your pick up is cracking!
Old 08-31-2012, 10:54 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Could just plug the sensor holes and install them inline on a rad hose. And maybe just weld up the back of the pump to block off the water hole...
Old 09-02-2012, 12:14 AM
Nashio
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chris White
Nice project! I have a couple of the Davies Craig pumps sitting here waiting for a project.

A couple of things that you might not have thought of –
If you removed the thermostat then you have left the small opening behind the thermostat open – that will allow coolant to recirculate around the block and bypass the radiator. Looks like you are reversing the coolant flow direction – nice idea, except the ECU water temp sensor may read low (cold) and richen up your mixture.

I am not a fan of balance shaft deletes – I have had 3 motors come in my shop that were destroyed by oil pump pick ups failing in balance shaft delete motors. The vibrations are high frequency ‘buzzing’ – put your hand on the motor and rev it a bit – it will feel like an electric shaver. Keep an eye on your oil pressure – if it start to act odd or the engine takes longer to prime and build pressure from a cold start your pick up is cracking!
I did remove the thermostat and never thought about the coolant recirculating. The DME/ECU temp sensor and the gauge temp sensor are pretty much next to each other. So I would assume they read off the same temp reading. Although I relocated the temp sensor for the water pump in the lower radiator hose my gauge reading stay between 1/4 and 1/2 mark. Again assuming, I think it is running fine fuel mixture wise.

I know the balance shaft delete is a controversy, But replacing the oil pickup and reinforcing it is in my plans for a couple months. I take turns with driving my 944 and my 80cc Scooter (for gas mileage to school) So it doesn't run every single day.

Edit: Thank you for the heads up on the warning signs of the oil pick up failing.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:23 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

I would have thought that you don't need a thermostat or need to worry about recirculating with this. Doesn't the electric pump controller handle all that? I may be wrong but can't you set that pump "off" until the coolant is at a certain temperature and then ramp up flow as the temperature rises? I always thought that is how they worked.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:40 PM
Nashio
Instructor

From all the instructions on the box and in the booklet that came with the electric water pump. The controller turns the pump on every 10 seconds until the operating temp is reached. At 3 degrees before set temp the pattern turns to every 3 seconds. And then finally at the temp set it runs at a steady pace (like 2 or 3 amps) then gradually goes up more. When at 10 degrees higher it turns the pump on full power. Also the controller can control your fans as well so at 5 degrees higher my fans turn on.

Hearing about the recalculating thing kinda puzzles me as this is the first time I have heard of it. Although I am not having heating problems so I dunno. That and the flow of coolant is running in reverse.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:36 PM
n_hall
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there a benefit to reversing the coolant flow, or were you forced to because of the pump?

Quick Reply: 944 Electric Water Pump