Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there something wrong with my craigslist ad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 12:46 AM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there something wrong with my craigslist ad?

I've had very little interest in the car. Only 2 people have come to look at it in the past 3 months. Maybe it's just the wrong time of year. If the braintrust wouldn't mind reading it really quick and let me know what you think about it. Be honest, you won't hurt my feelings.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3389097670.html
Old 11-26-2012, 01:02 AM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hollywood D
I've had very little interest in the car. Only 2 people have come to look at it in the past 3 months. Maybe it's just the wrong time of year. If the braintrust wouldn't mind reading it really quick and let me know what you think about it. Be honest, you won't hurt my feelings.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3389097670.html
No mention of timing belt water or water pump mileage or when it was replaced. But even with that not on the add it is a damn good looking car. I WISH this was the one I bought a year ago.....may have not had so much trouble. Hell raise the price. Paint is not "perfect" but looks good and even. Interior looks fantastic from the pics.

You May need to take it down and repost it so it is higher on the date list. Idk if you have done that already but if not I am sure it will help.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:07 AM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

I had it listed at 3900 originally, which I know was optimistic, then lowered it to 3500 and now 3300. I'm pretty much at my bottom line now. But the plates have to be renewed next month so I'd rather sell it before then rather then pay for new plates and never use them.

I renew the post about every week.

I completely forgot about timing belt, I will add that.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:15 AM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try posting to the local areas as well.

Also it is a horrible time to sell.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:17 AM
mfyoung1086
Racer

Sorry to say but an 83 with worn paint, and no a/c (even though that interior is really nice and maintenance is good) just might not bring 3300

In Phx I've seen a few 951's coming up fro sale in the 5-6k range all day in better apearance than your 83, the N/A 944's I've seen out there are all under 3k and some of them are nice, some are gabarge, none of them are really selling

Anyways good luck with the sale, I would rather have a 944 that is well sorted mech. than appearance, but ppl like shiny things
Old 11-26-2012, 01:19 AM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Originally Posted by Hollywood D
I had it listed at 3900 originally, which I know was optimistic, then lowered it to 3500 and now 3300. I'm pretty much at my bottom line now. But the plates have to be renewed next month so I'd rather sell it before then rather then pay for new plates and never use them.

I renew the post about every week.

I completely forgot about timing belt, I will add that.
Personally I think because black Friday was coming(people do look ahead more now than ever) maybe folks were saving?
Idk. Again the car looks great. Maybe some more external pictures. Lot of people buy based on visuals first...then check to see if it is mechanically sound. Again it look immaculate. From the prices I see around here with NO info on the state of the car, I would say maybe pay for the tag(idk if its like $25 like it is here) and Try to sell it for $4000. I will say an Enthusiast may want a few more details about the car(the more the better for me given my experiences).

Have you checked to see if anyone else is trying to sell any in your area? Or what they list theirs at?
Old 11-26-2012, 01:20 AM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Originally Posted by mfyoung1086
Sorry to say but an 83 with worn paint, and no a/c (even though that interior is really nice and maintenance is good) just might not bring 3300

In Phx I've seen a few 951's coming up fro sale in the 5-6k range all day in better apearance than your 83, the N/A 944's I've seen out there are all under 3k and some of them are nice, some are gabarge, none of them are really selling

Anyways good luck with the sale, I would rather have a 944 that is well sorted mech. than appearance, but ppl like shiny things
I agree. $4000 was probably from a personal standpoint considering I know what work has to go in some abused ones.

Ditto on the shiny
Old 11-26-2012, 01:22 AM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

I check craigslist every day to check on my competition. None of them are really selling, I see the same ones that keep getting relisted. I agree that it's probably the worst time of year to try and sell it.

If I have to renew the tags I may keep driving it until the spring and relist it then.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:25 AM
mfyoung1086
Racer

It is a terrible time to try and sell, might be worth it to hold onto it until after the new years
Old 11-26-2012, 01:45 AM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car looks good.. especially interior as you know.
You mention KYB ( I assume on the rear eh?)..
Are the front struts the factory originals?
Tough season to sell as folks are gearing up for holiday expenses...
Looks like you're up against seven 944's for sale right now in Denver area..
Could you possibly pay the tags now and get $3350 for her in April?
Old 11-26-2012, 01:53 AM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

I put new KYB inserts in the front too.

I'm sure I could sell it in the spring. The tags aren't that big of a deal, it would just be nice to not pay them.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:27 AM
techartisan
Racer

In all honesty, its a market issue.
1. its winter and you are in denver. Sportscars just dont move as well, people are thinking 4wd.
2. As previously stated people are tight for cash....sales pick up in february when people start seeing tax checks.
3. Market availability....13 944's listed since Nov 1st in denvers CL

Its a sad truth that while our prices and apparent market value keeps dropping so does the demand. Many people see the low price of a PORSCHE and assume its junk not worth the time to check out because they really dont understand these cars. I have helped half a dozen people get into a 944 who never would have thought of one, until they found out just how little I have in mine....even with all the work I do to it. Their fun cars, easy to work on, decent curb appeal....but its a specialty market.

my advice...
Delete your ads. Boost your price to $5k obo. Its easier to take a low ball offer on a high ask than it is to find the price that entices someone to buy. Often times the low and lowering price just drives away interest.
List no number, just "email for details/showing",
renew the ad periodically but otherwise forget about it.
If you are not desparate to sell, If you arent hurting for the money....only patience will get you a good price. Thats just the market we live with.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:55 AM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Originally Posted by techartisan
In all honesty, its a market issue.
1. its winter and you are in denver. Sportscars just dont move as well, people are thinking 4wd.
2. As previously stated people are tight for cash....sales pick up in february when people start seeing tax checks.
3. Market availability....13 944's listed since Nov 1st in denvers CL

Its a sad truth that while our prices and apparent market value keeps dropping so does the demand. Many people see the low price of a PORSCHE and assume its junk not worth the time to check out because they really dont understand these cars. I have helped half a dozen people get into a 944 who never would have thought of one, until they found out just how little I have in mine....even with all the work I do to it. Their fun cars, easy to work on, decent curb appeal....but its a specialty market.

my advice...
Delete your ads. Boost your price to $5k obo. Its easier to take a low ball offer on a high ask than it is to find the price that entices someone to buy. Often times the low and lowering price just drives away interest.
List no number, just "email for details/showing",
renew the ad periodically but otherwise forget about it.
If you are not desparate to sell, If you arent hurting for the money....only patience will get you a good price. Thats just the market we live with.
+1
Old 11-26-2012, 03:20 AM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Buff out your paint.

And sadly in that condition and ****ty market, I feel like you won't get any offer near 3k until the market picks up.

Btw off topic but has your car had a respray? Looks like the engine bay is sienna red...
Old 11-26-2012, 03:25 AM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its tough to get decent money for the cars around here. I paid $1200 for my 924 and got an 944S for a little over double that (in july).

Quick Reply: Is there something wrong with my craigslist ad?