Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just did DE in my NA 944

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 01:51 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

RA is an awesome course I've yet to drive. I've spent most of my track time, so far, at VIR and CMP.

I've had my S2 out to 2 DE's and 2 AX's in my first year of ownership and love it! It's a great car for someone like me, who really enjoys the track but will never be the fastest or best guy out there (my limit, not the car). It doesn't have enough power to really get you in trouble, and the handling is very nice, predictable, and controllable. I was probably faster in my Cayman S, but honestly the car was doing a lot of the driving. With the S2 I'm responsible for getting things right and I'm enjoying the learning process.

So far I've focused on making sure the car is mechanically reliable. Most everything is solid now, and I'm finally giving in and replacing the steering rack shortly. That, knock on wood, should be it for a while!

The brakes, sways, and torsion bars are stock (same as the 951) and I replaced the worn out shocks and struts with Koni sports, adjustable height, up front. I've also replaced the front sway bushings and camber blocks (968). I may get the LR M030 sways over the winter, but I'm not sure.

My plans are to make the car something of a Club Sport clone. To that end, I'm considering removing the back seat and installing race seats, roll/harness bar, and harnesses. Since I hope to make this my track car (but still an occasional DD) I think safety should be my next mod.

Good luck with yours - you're going to enjoy it!
Old 12-05-2012, 03:52 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Congrats!

As you progress you want to convert to track-only car, i.e. rollcage, seats and proper harnesses.

Also think about replacing your A-arms with aftermarket units. They can be a weak point in these cars.

Take care!
Old 12-05-2012, 08:10 PM
928dreamer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone. Your feedback is always extremely helpful. I plan on doing 2 or 3 more DE thru NASA in 2013. They really are a blast and road Atlanta was such a thrill to drive on.

Does anyone know a good place to get street/track tires that work well on these cars?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:22 PM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some good advice for the car so far.

Spend some time here, Racing & Drivers Education Forum, and seek out top instructors near you to improve your abilities. After my first DE I attended the Mid-Ohio three day school before sinking money into the car. Awesome experience!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:26 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would encourage you to take it slowly in some regards. Save your $$$ for good car prep (Van's list was great) and SEAT TIME.

There is no replacement for SEAT time. yes, sticky tires will get you going faster. So too will suspension upgrades. But, until the DRIVER can understand what the car is doing, all you really do is raise the edge to where you lose control. Sticky tires tend to hide bad habits.

Sign up for more events... I have to think you are within reasonable drives to other tracks (Florida? Alabama?) where events might be held all winter long.

Quick Reply: just did DE in my NA 944