Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning light - 1991 S2

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 03:47 AM
Gramps47
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning light - 1991 S2

My engine oil light and red warning light will come on and stay lit when starting the car up especially if the car is parked with the nose slightly lower. Oil level is good. Is their an engine oil level sensor on a '91....if so, can't find it referenced in owners manual. It's annoying as both will stay on until I shut the motor off. Pretty sure it has nothing to do with my actual oil level as registered on the dip stick....any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 12-27-2012, 05:46 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gramps47
My engine oil light and red warning light will come on and stay lit when starting the car up especially if the car is parked with the nose slightly lower. Oil level is good. Is their an engine oil level sensor on a '91....if so, can't find it referenced in owners manual. It's annoying as both will stay on until I shut the motor off. Pretty sure it has nothing to do with my actual oil level as registered on the dip stick....any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
I'm almost certain there is an oil level sender. Turbos had it from 87 on, 968s have it, can't imagine why they would have skipped the S2. Should be on the side of the pan and have a triangular shaped base with three bolts holding it in.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:32 PM
Makis
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, they have oil sender. If is broken they will through up a light. When I removed my sump to check the bearings I managed to damage mine. Had to do something to the wiring to stop it causing to light to come on.
Also another reason for the red line to stay on is if the handbrake switch is not function properly.
Another reason is also if the alternator is not charging properly anymore. Therefore you should check this if you have not find the reason yet.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:45 PM
Gramps47
Intermediate

Thanks...the engine oil light is on as well as the red warning light. Interesting that the manual mentions nothing of the oil level sensor. Can anyone direct me to a site where this sensor can be purchased.

Bill-
Old 12-27-2012, 04:09 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

www.paragon-products.com should be able to povide you with a sensor, or www.pelicanparts.com www.clarks-garage.com will be your favorite hang out from now on when it come to your car regular maintenance.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:23 PM
Gramps47
Intermediate

wow...$273 for the sender from Pelican. Has to be a cheaper fix. Maybe I just need to inspect and clean everything.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:13 AM
Makis
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gramps47
wow...$273 for the sender from Pelican. Has to be a cheaper fix. Maybe I just need to inspect and clean everything.
Well is easy to disable the light you just short the two wire that go to the switch permanently. As I am almost sure the switch is on when is enough oil in the sump and goes off when the oil is low. I cut the wire going to the sensor, scrimped them with some banana conectors and cross connected them. One of the wire is ground so if you cross connect them I keep the switch effectivelly on all the time and the engine oil light stays off. I did this in case I ever find a cheap sendor unit from somewhere and replace mine. So in the meantime I have to check the oil level more often which I was doing anyway.
In your case it may be just a matter or disconnecting the loom from the sensor and reconnect. The connection may be corroded in which case is possible the sensor switch to go off (turning the oil light on) from the connector and not from the oil level being low. There is a slight worry in the sense that if the oil switch is gone faulty the fault is caused by a desintegrated float. That float remains will be in the sump which could cause some damage. But this probably must have been thought up by Porsche designers and they make special float material which cause minimal damage who knows?
Old 12-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Gramps47
Intermediate

Thanks Makis....great information. Will check it out soon. Don't need a level sensor really. I check things frequently and their are zero leaks..

Bill

Quick Reply: Warning light - 1991 S2