Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

for lemon yellow or any other vancouver bc'ers

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 03:21 PM
marooned
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post for lemon yellow or any other vancouver bc'ers

Just wondering where you have your car(s) serviced. I posted this question a little while back but didn't really get any responses. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-30-2002, 04:13 PM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

I usually do it myself. There's Weissach off Burrard Bridge, Targa Performance in North Van, Fraser Valley Eurotech in Abbotsford. Ianm and the other guys know others.
Old 01-30-2002, 04:14 PM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

Ah yes. Firstly, I must tell you about the dyno day in Seattle on he 16th and the Pac. Northwest get together in Spring.

Now; I take my car to Weissach. While they are of the FEW who actually know what they are doing, they charge 85 bucks an hour. Ouch. I just discovered MCL's ex-head tech who now works out of his garage. He is in Germany right now so if you need something done right away, well you get it. There is also Targa in North Van (look em up in the yellow pages) I think they are a bit more affordable than Weissach but I have never gotten what I needed from them (something is always wrong-> smaller operation). I think Ianm will reply to this one, I cant remember where he goes but its supposed to be good. Good luck.
Old 01-30-2002, 07:12 PM
marooned
Advanced

Thanks for the input so far guys. Lemon I'm really interested in that ex MCL mechanic that works out of his garage. How much does he charge per hour and does he do good work? Thanks again
Old 01-30-2002, 07:28 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys,

I take my car to Weissach sometimes - like last week when I had my car corner balanced, ride height adjusted, aligned, and zero-preload set into my swaybars.

For mechanical work, I take my car to my trusty mechanic in Port Coquitlam. He doesn't charge as much as MCL or Weissach, and he is an excellent mechanic. His name is Otto, his shop is called "Euro Otto Sport", his number is 604-941-1466.

For any fabricating work (intercooler pipes, custom exhaust work, MAF modifications, etc) I take my car to Andy at Specialty Engineering in New Westminster.

For tuning work (ie. wideband O2 sensor and Motec air:fuel monitor) I go to L&R Racing in Port Coquitlam. Ask for Lowell Foo, number is 604-552-1426. He uses Resnick's dyno in Port Coquitlam for dyno tuning.

For bodywork I use Proline Collision in North Vancouver. Ask for Chris Jehnichen, phone 604-987-2533.

Tell these guys that Ian sent you. I don't get any deals (trust me...I've spent thousands) sending work to any of these guys, just their appreciation. I'm very happy to know that the most talented guys in Vancouver work on my car. I spent YEARS trying various shops for various jobs before coming up with this list. Each shop has their own specialty, that's why I use them all.
Old 01-30-2002, 07:49 PM
K27
Burning Brakes

I trust all the things I can't do to Andy Haglund of Scan Automotive 1118 e 3rdst N.Van 604.980.4542.
Very good work, very honest.
Thanks
Lance
Old 01-30-2002, 09:46 PM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

Marooned: I'd be glad to give you Klaus' number but he kinda "retired" from MCL so he could get out of the rat race. I was lucky he would even speak to me (reffered to him by a buddy of his). I'm gettin some work done when he gets back from Germany so I'll make sure I ask him if he wants another 944 to work on (he enjoys working on them more than 911s). If its suspension work, go to Weissach. Their alignment is one of the best deals in town.
Old 01-31-2002, 03:42 AM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

Ianm, how much did Weissach charge you for corner balancing and alignment?
Old 01-31-2002, 05:16 AM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

The alignment is 250 bones. Thats the best deal I've found in town for a 4 wheel alignment. That also know many setups and will take your hardware/height etc. into consideration.
Old 01-31-2002, 01:39 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Marksportcts:

My bill came to $700. That includes:

-checking my ABS
-machining my front discs
-fixing an intermittent front brake pad sensor
-checking my control arms for wear
-corner balancing/ride height adjusting
-taking preload out of my Weltmeister swaybars
-alignment

I'd definitely recommend using Weissach for an alignment. Stuart has a huge database of knowledge regarding various alignment settings on 944's (mostly thanks to Farzaan). He can set your car up for street only, track only, or anything in between.
Old 01-31-2002, 09:08 PM
marooned
Advanced

wow that's more like it! Great info guys, thanks a lot. It's really hard to know which shops are trustworthy and actually do good work. Some of these little shops in the yellow pages may not advertise big but are very reputable and vice versa. The work that I'll need done in the near future is as follows: =(

control arms (both)
motor mounts (both)
sunroof repair
new tires (maybe new wheels)
top end rebuild at some point
brake pads (fronts)
I think I got everything here

Again thanks to all for the wonderful info

Quick Reply: for lemon yellow or any other vancouver bc'ers