Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how is my transmission suspended?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2001, 12:11 AM
Bob Price
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question how is my transmission suspended?

So I'm taking the transmission out of my '87 944S so I can replace the clutch. The transmission is attached to the torque tube bellhousing by four bolts, and then there are theoretically two more bolts attaching the trans. to the chassis of the car. The problem is that the relevant picture in the Haynes manual doesn't look like my car! There's just smooth metal where these alleged bolts are supposed to be (and my fuel filter is bolted to the trans. crossmember, also contrary to the photo). The only way I can see that the trans. is hanging from the trans mount above it is by two rather small longitudinal bolts way up on top of the trans., right next to each other. Am I really supposed to unbolt those? The only other option appears to be to unbolt the whole trans. crossmember, which would be easy, but which would necessitate opening the fuel line (because of the filter), which would be a pain. Any thoughts? Thanks
Old 06-26-2001, 01:06 AM
Tabor
Drifting

I just did this 6 months ago. The haynes manual actually wants you to unbolt the transmission from the cross-member.

Don't!!!

1. In my car, you can't (1987 944 NA).
2. In your car it sounds like you can, but Don't!!!.

I say Don't!!! becuase IMHO, you will never get the tranmission back on. It took me the help of 2 friends to get it back on with the cross member bolted to the transmission.

Well, I guess you could drop the trans, get fed up of trying to put it back, then drop the cross member, then put it all back.

If you have a lift and a transmission jack, by all means, unbolt it from the cross-member. Otherwise, Don't!!!

Yes, you have to undo you fuel filter. It should be changed every 30,000 miles anyway. Now is a good time.
Old 06-26-2001, 01:36 AM
instigator
Racer

Tabor i have to disagree with you on the removal of the 2 bolts that hold the tranx up onto the cross beam. i have pulled my tranny a few times by removing those bolts and have had no trouble getting them out or back in. just my .02 but it can be done without pain
Old 06-26-2001, 03:00 AM
Tabor
Drifting

Okay, that may be true.

But on my 1987 NA, that was not even an issue. You could not remove the transaxle from the cross-member without first having them both off the car.

I would not attempt it, but that is just me.

Quick Reply: how is my transmission suspended?