Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how does drive shaft coupler couple?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2001, 11:20 PM
Bob Price
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face how does drive shaft coupler couple?

This is getting embarrassing, but I have yet another question about getting the trans. out of my 944S. The only thing holding the trans. on to the car at this point is the driveshaft. I've removed both bolts in the square shaped coupler that connects the drive shaft to the trans. input shaft. but the trans shaft seems to go on for miles (anyone know how far) into the coupler, and I don't have enough room to the rear to slide the trans back to get it loose - it hits the spare wheel well. And lowering the trans. doesn't do the trick either. I'm thinking maybe I should have left the forward bolt in the coupler, so that it would hang onto the drive shaft, and then what little play I can get would go entirely into sliding the trans input shaft out of the coupler, instead of being split between the two shafts, which is what I'm guessing is going on. Sound right? and I'd just like to add that there are many things I do without needing this level of detailed assistance. Just today I made a sandwhich all by my self...
Old 06-26-2001, 11:37 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
You need to slide the coupler towards the transaxle, and not the output shaft on the torque tube (both bolts need to be out of the coupler first), then it's a piece of cake from there. At this point you will not need to move the transaxle anywhere but down, and out of the car!

Hope this helped.
Ahmet
Old 06-27-2001, 12:25 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
If you have the tranney all the way back and the coupler is still holding on... tap it towards the front of the car. Mine came off real easy. If you can't get it to budge, then move everything back into place, tighten the front bolt, and slide back the tranny to separate. If that dont work, then move it all back together, tighten the rear bolt, and have at it. By now it should be loose enough to remove it. Make sure that you marked the alignment of the coupler with the shafts. (although it dosen't really matter, but everyone always does.) Best of luck.
Old 06-27-2001, 08:54 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Exclamation

I'm sorry but perry, what are you talking about? The procedure is you take off both the bolts on the coupler, slide it towards the transaxle, then take off the transaxle mounts, and the tranny drops...
Ahmet

Quick Reply: how does drive shaft coupler couple?