Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the FQS not work when the O2 sensor is unplugged?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 05:49 PM
16valver
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does the FQS not work when the O2 sensor is unplugged?

I know when you unplug the O2 sensor puts the car in open loop. It bypasses a number of measuring elements and runs pre programmed fuel maps based off of engine RPM alone. Does it bypass the fuel quality switch as well?

I recently did a short trip south of portland to visit a fellow 944'er, and decided just for experimentation sake, to run the car in open loop at -3.1% on the FQS.

I had leaned out the fuel mixture before when the O2 was plugged in and noticed the car running hotter, slightly less power and a slightly more rough idle. When I did this with the O2 unplugged there was absolutely no difference from when I had the car plugged in w/ stock mapping. I actually think I got worse gas mileage than my usual 13mpg... I burned through a quarter tank in not very much time.

I'm wondering now if I might have a bad DME. The O2 sensor, relay, FPR, injectors etc. have all been gone through. I'm sort of left with the DME and the AFM. I feel like if the AFM was going bad it would have a more noticeable effect.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:03 PM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The FQS is never bypassed. 13mpg is terrible mileage.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:32 PM
16valver
Racer

Ok thats what I thought.

HA! you're telling me!! Its ridiculous. I DD this thing too... I think my plan of action will be to snag a known good AFM and if that doesn't work I might have a DME issue. Might seafoam it one more time just for stupidity sake.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:55 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a random question.. Are you sure the odometer is accurate? How many miles a day are you driving?
Old 04-30-2013, 07:32 PM
16valver
Racer

You know...thats a damn good question. The mileage I drive per day varies. Today I'll have driven 0 miles. Wednesdays I drive ~16 miles, most other days it won't be more than 8 miles.

I suppose it could be turning too slow or something. I'm running slightly larger rear tires on 16's than what you would normally find, but don't feel like it would make a huge difference.

On the stock setup @80mph the tach would be at exactly 4k rpms. Now @80mph the tach displays about 3800rpms. On the other hand, whenever I drive by one of those neighborhood speed signs that tells you what your speed is (and usually tells me to slow down ), it displays a lower speed than what the speedo says. So if the speedo says 40 the magical sign would say ~37.5.

Oooooooohhhhhh man...
Old 04-30-2013, 07:41 PM
Gawernator
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try this out and report back http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Old 04-30-2013, 07:52 PM
krystar
Drifting

something else is off then. my early 8v has o2 unplugged and i still get high 20's mpg. i have a wideband o2 in place of the original o2 and i'm still reading ~14ish AFR.

could be your AFM is bad. an incorrect airflow reading would cause the DME to dump fuel. also possible one of your injectors is not closing and it's just dumping fuel. what do your spark plugs say? probably wet and black i'm going to guess.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:57 PM
16valver
Racer

Yeah I did some rough calculations like that before putting the new setup on

Heres what that one came up with (which is probably more accurate than my back of the napkin calcs)

Old 04-30-2013, 08:04 PM
16valver
Racer

Originally Posted by krystar
something else is off then. my early 8v has o2 unplugged and i still get high 20's mpg. i have a wideband o2 in place of the original o2 and i'm still reading ~14ish AFR.

could be your AFM is bad. an incorrect airflow reading would cause the DME to dump fuel. also possible one of your injectors is not closing and it's just dumping fuel. what do your spark plugs say? probably wet and black i'm going to guess.
Injectors were witchhunter'd recently and all tested out great so I'm hoping its not that. I would guess you are right about the plugs haha. I replaced those a little while back as well. I also have an immense amount of carbon build up on my tail pipe that didn't used to be there.

My money is on the AFM now. I was holding out for Rogue to finish his 16v creation but it looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet. It sucks because I have an AFM laying around from a 2.7...

Anyone have a spare S AFM??

Old 04-30-2013, 08:42 PM
Gawernator
Racer

So that would indicate running very rich, which also explains your TERRIBLE gas mileage (I get in the upper 20's)
Old 04-30-2013, 09:05 PM
16valver
Racer

Originally Posted by Gawernator
So that would indicate running very rich, which also explains your TERRIBLE gas mileage (I get in the upper 20's)
Yep already knew I was running very rich. All the signs have been there for quite a while. Carbon deposits on tail pipe, cat pulling excessive heat, etc etc...

I just hope the AFM is the reason why. I'll go ahead and try buying a "good" one and go from there.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:19 PM
Gawernator
Racer

Open it up and see if the little contact blade can be adjusted to a new spot
Old 04-30-2013, 10:05 PM
16valver
Racer

Originally Posted by Gawernator
Open it up and see if the little contact blade can be adjusted to a new spot
Ok, I might as well do that. My theory is that the needle valve has been severely messed with. Cap is missing, I re-adjusted it to the 1.5 turns clockwise from closed to get the ~stock position but it obviously hasn't done much...
Old 05-01-2013, 06:18 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Disconnecting O2 makes the car in richer. This will also happen if the O2 sensor is faulty. Have you checked the O2 and wiring?

The sensor can also be tested by adjusting the plug wires on the variant switch plug. This will switch to non O2 mode and it will ignore the O2 sensor (different from unplugging the sensor).

Your best bet is to check the afm using a voltmeter. Use test leads between the afm plug and socket so you can measure voltage on the output terminal while you move the vane by hand.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:36 PM
16valver
Racer

Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2
Disconnecting O2 makes the car in richer. This will also happen if the O2 sensor is faulty. Have you checked the O2 and wiring?

The sensor can also be tested by adjusting the plug wires on the variant switch plug. This will switch to non O2 mode and it will ignore the O2 sensor (different from unplugging the sensor).

Your best bet is to check the afm using a voltmeter. Use test leads between the afm plug and socket so you can measure voltage on the output terminal while you move the vane by hand.
Well I replaced the O2 sensor as you can see from my avatar but haven't ever checked the wiring.

When I get a chance I'll go out and do that to my AFM. I'm curious to see what happens.

ALSO, I think my reference sensor is starting to act up. I've always had the intermittent starting issue that happens when the car has cooled off most of the way but is still slightly warm (mentioned in other threads). I've been keeping a close eye on the tach for tach bounce. Now I'm noticing that sometimes I don't get tach bounce when I'm supposed to. I'll keep watching to see what it does and order a new sensor from pelican.

Quick Reply: Does the FQS not work when the O2 sensor is unplugged?