Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do I position flywheel when replacing clutch bellhousing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2001, 11:59 PM
Bob Price
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question how do I position flywheel when replacing clutch bellhousing?

Greetings all -
I'm putting a new clutch in my 87 944S. Part of the directions call for making sure that the threaded pin sticking out from the edge of the flywheel is pointing directly downward before I reinstall the clutch bellhousing. The catch is, I have two such pins, about 20 or 30 degrees apart from each other! Which one goes down? Why does it matter in the first place? It's not clear to me from looking at the bellhousing and flywheel how anything would interfere with anything else if I didn't orient the pin(s) downward. What gives? [Imagine in this space an instant graemlin that evokes a sort of resigned bemusement].
thanks -
Old 07-20-2001, 12:22 AM
Tabor
Drifting

Ouch!

1. On my '87 NA there was only one way to put it on, period. Are you sure this isn't the case for yours? By this I mean that there as a peg that would only line up one way. I don't remember if the peg was on the flywheel or the crank.

2. It is important to put it on the right way. This is because it is how you usually check for TDC (there is a mark on the flywheel that lines up with the bell housing).

So, with that said what you need to do is find TDC. This is easily done by aligning the timing mark on the cam pulley/sprocket.

Ask if you need further direction.
Old 07-20-2001, 04:49 PM
Bob Price
Track Day

Ah - I should have been more clear. You're right, the flywheel can only be bolted to the engine one way. There is a dowel and a bolt pattern that ensures that. But after it is bolted to the engine, you can turn (and the crankshaft goes round and the pistons go up and down, etc.) And the directions I've read call for grabbing hold of it and turning it until the pin that is sticking out from the edge of it (not the face of it)is oriented downward. So what do I do if there are two of those pins, and why do they matter anyway?
thanks!

Quick Reply: how do I position flywheel when replacing clutch bellhousing?