Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: A silent respect to all who died in today...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2001, 01:32 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I may be repeating what others have said to Tabor, but 50,000 people being killed in one fell swoop is quite overwhelming. I do not mean to deminish the fact that thousnds of people die every year in auto related incedents but that is progressive. Are waves lapping on the shore the same as a tidal wave? Hardly!!!

In any event, this wildly affects the way I will look at mankind and will have a huge impact on US policy toward just about everything.
Old 09-12-2001, 01:41 PM
Adam Richman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can we all call an end to the arguments and rebukes in this thread please? In respect for those lost and those that are dying under tons of rubble can we please either limit our comments to support and good wishes.

Let us all pray that in the end, the numbers of dead and wounded are as minimized as possible. Bless those that are doing everything they can to save lives at this very moment.

Adam - life long democrat and in unequivocal full support of our President and all those who must make the toughest decisions in the present term.
Old 09-13-2001, 12:57 AM
Schneider
Advanced

I can't let this one lie. I am an officer in the United States Air Force. I have been for 15 years. I choose to serve. I serve so that these kinds of discusions can take place. Please read this:

I James Schneider, having been appointed an officer in the United States Air Force, do solomly swear to support and defend the constitution of the United States, against all enemies, foriegn, or domestic. And that I bare true faith and allegance to the same. That I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evation. And that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office of which I am about to enter, So Help Me God.

I read this every day. I also read some of the constitution weekly. Maybe some of you who are American citizens should to.

We Americans have NEVER been attacked like this in our history. NEVER! This is a direct attack of US citizens on OUR soil. IT IS AN ACT OF WAR! Read your histoy books! This is not Vietnam! Too many of you have no idea the real reasons behind Veitnam. If ANY of you truly believe it was a ploy to get military spending up, SHAME ON YOU! We had good, true concerns for the far east. It was not handled properly, true. But it was not to boost the economy.

Any of you who think we don't need a strong military, remember this: 90% of the world's population, want what we have in America. And they will do just about anything to get it.

These terroist acts will be avenged. But not for vengence sake. They will be avenged to ensure our freedom is maintained. If you don't know what our counry has gone through to maintain our freedom, start reading! Don't watch PBS or CNN. Read!

I pray every night that I will not be called upon to carry out my duties in war. But, I will if called upon.

I ask Tabor and others, Are you willing to lay down your life to maitain the freedom of this country? If you are not, then at least give respect for those willing to die for you!

I have faith in this great nation and God. We will go on. We will remain free.
Old 09-13-2001, 03:23 AM
marooned
Advanced

Ok this is my last post involving this topic. Matt so I'm a fool for disagreeing with U.S foreign policy, and you're a jack *** for assuming that I was referring to WWII when I made reference to "ra ra bs". The second world war was the ONLY war in my opinion if you dare call it "WORTHWHILE". I thank my lucky stars that that madman was stopped. To all whom have judged me or others, you know nothing of who I am or what I stand for... I reserved judgement on the parts of a lot of you but you did not extend either me or others on this board the same courtesy, this says a lot about you. I only got involved in this silly political debate because I saw people getting attacked for their opinions/views (that I don't necessarily agree with btw). To Lizard, I (speaking for myself but know that many others would agree with me) don't need your big brother attitude or support. I have never feared for my safety in canada and there is a reason for it and the fact that canada has no military. Schneider, you're right this isn't vietnam I never made that comparison. This is the sickest and most vile thing I have ever had to bear witness to. I feel with great sorrow the hell that people must be going through right now. Peace to ALL
Old 09-13-2001, 03:37 AM
Tabor
Drifting

Originally posted by Schneider:
<STRONG>I ask Tabor and others, Are you willing to lay down your life to maitain the freedom of this country?</STRONG>
1. I don't concider this a particularly "free" nation. When the DMCA and laws like it are removed from the books, I will feel a lot better.

2. If their was a land war in the US, yes.

3. Thank You for your service. I do respect and appriciate it.
Old 09-13-2001, 03:48 AM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

i say this with a tear in my eye - let us put aside our differences and all stand together to give respect to those who have passed away. let us stand strong!
Old 09-13-2001, 10:35 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tabor:

Not a free country? Compared to what? Compared to when? Read some history, for God's sake. Take some of your cash and travel to some other countries. Open your eyes. You have no idea how you sound to people who know better.

Go to Africa. Go to Asia. Go to Europe. Look at what has happened, and continues to happen, in every other part of the world to the present day. Then maybe the fact you can't freely copy other people's work without paying them for it won't seem like such an infringement on your "freedom".

Someday you'll remember the things you posted on this board with shame. Don't dig the hole any deeper, man. Set your foolish pride to one side and close your mouth. The man you will someday become will be happy you did.

Thaddeus
Old 09-13-2001, 11:47 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
To Mr. Schneider,

Thanks for the post. I hope the rest of the Air Force is a reflection of you.

To the rest, you know who you are, get a grip. If you do not live or are not a citizen of my country you have no right to criticize (if you have any decency and respect), and until you have walked in the shoes of those like Mr. Schneider and every other person who has given themselves to defend your sorry butt... you are a fool to act as though you know it all.

This is so sad. I'm disgusted and depressed. That is, until I walked outside and see the American flag flying in the wind on the front of my house.
Old 09-13-2001, 01:26 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Originally posted by Thaddeus:
<STRONG>Not a free country? Compared to what? Compared to when? Read some history, for God's sake. Take some of your cash and travel to some other countries. Open your eyes. You have no idea how you sound to people who know better.</STRONG>
I didn't say their was a better country, did I? But IMHO, Holland and Denmark are aproximately as free as we are. In some ways we are more so, in some ways we are less so. But IMHO, every year the citizens of this country loose a little bit of freedom. As for the DMCA, it is illegal to read aloud to your child from a digital book. Now that is freedom.

As for traveling to europe, I have. As to traveling to Asia, I have. I guess I was in Holland and British Honk Kong though, so I didn't notice the terrible opression you speak of.
Old 09-13-2001, 01:45 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Act in question does nothing of the kind. That's a load of bullsh*t. The Act expressly reserves all rights to fair use, education, etc etc. that existed before its enactment. If you'd bother to read it, you'd know better. It's available on line, Tabor.

I'm not going to argue the merits of this country or that country with you. You will cherry-pick the better ones (though Hong Kong may not be the wonderful place you remember anymore), and the temptation would be too strong for me to discuss the abhorrent ones. The fact is, you lack historical and current awareness about the sorry state of much of human government. And that lack leaves you crippled in your opinions and perspective.

Enough.

Thaddeus
Old 09-13-2001, 01:46 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Not trying to have a pissing contest for lack of better words...

so I didn't notice the terrible opression you speak of.
When I was younger (around 1986) I was fortunate enough to travel to Communist East Berlin under the care of the USAF and the USO.

Even as a 6 year old I'll never forget what I saw. And that was even after they probably did what they could to make it look nice since they knew we were coming.

It was amazing... Night and day. Trebant or Porsche. Opression or freedom. Communism or capitalism.

A choice you have to make.

-Matt
Old 09-13-2001, 02:02 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Matt and Thaddeus, I never said the US was not a nice place to live. I never said I was not happy with my life. But I do not belive that there is a truely "free" country on the globe. I think all countries have laws on the books that unduely restrict the rights of their citizents. I Like living in the US.

Thaddeus, as for the DMCA, you are correct. I am sorry, I had read the SSSCA, thinking it was the DMCA. For that I apologize. The SSSCA would make it illegal to read outload from an "e-book". It elimitates all "fair use" for e-books. Thankfully it has not been passed into law, yet. Again I appologize for accidentally propogating misinformation on this web board.
Old 09-13-2001, 02:35 PM
Stevespn123
8th Gear

Tabor

I am absolutely shocked by your god damn idiotic ideas. I live in New York. Unfortunately, I know more than a few people who are missing and maybe dead. In fact, I just finished speaking with someone this morning who had to run for her life from the debris.

This is not a time for argument or questioning of the government. Rather this is a time for the country's to back their leader in attempt to capture those people responsible for the horendous actions. If you want to question the government now, I suggest your shut your f*cken mouth now, before you get it closed by a broken jaw. Plenty of people here are suffering and your question of freedom is ridiculous. Rather than bitch either move out or shut up and support our great nation!
Old 09-13-2001, 02:57 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Originally posted by Stevespn123:
<STRONG>If you want to question the government now, I suggest your shut your f*cken mouth now, before you get it closed by a broken jaw.</STRONG>
I support my government. I support my government in their war against terrorism. More so, I support the world in its battle against terrorism. However, I believe it is critical that we remain objective in out fight against terrorism. I believe that if we do not, more life will be uselessly lost.

And above all else, I support life and feedom. I support your life, and your freedom, even with your threats.

I am sorry for you loss. I hope you are able to live through this crisis.
Old 09-13-2001, 03:04 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts
Whoah, I really have a lot I want to say in response to a lot of the previous posts. Instead all I will say is "cooler heads prevail".

I left my office right after I saw (from the street) the second plane hit. My sister in law took the train after me into NYC. I got to my office at 8:30, she works across the street from me and should have been there by 9:15 the latest. She never made it to her office.

I got home at about 11:15 am, she got home 6:30 pm.

I went into a local pizzeria for lunch today since my office while still standing is off limits. Strangers at the table next to me were discussing the loss ofsomeone I know.

How many more friends, or friends of friends am I gonna hear about? I'm can't get the energy up to wash my cars. I changed the wires on my RX7 yesterday, but am too glued to the tv to change the plugs.

Funny how the ones closest to the disaster are numb, too busy trying to stay together to get into "pissin" contests.

BTW they just got 5 firefighters out of an SUV that was trapped under the rubble. Maybe we have to change our opinion on SUV's.

BTW according to Drudge, Bin Ladin was appointed Afghanistan's minister of defense two weeks ago.

Quick Reply: OT: A silent respect to all who died in today...