Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Returning 924S to service

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 12:52 PM
cjeckert
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Returning 924S to service

This will serve as a way to document the hopefully successful Resurrection of my '87 924S which has sat several years in a non operative state at my parents home in northern VA.

I was pretty active on here with my '87 924S (was my fathers first) when I was in High School and early college. I let the Porsche go into storage at my parents house while at school for engineering and history. My father drove the car often on while I was in school until the oil pump failed and seized the engine. Its sat the past 4 years while I finished school and started working. I live in the north east now working at one of the large research universities/laboratories. My parents who live in northern VA are planning on moving within the year and the question of what happens to the 924S was brought up. After much vacillation on the fate of the 924S my girlfriend (also an engineer) help me remember how much I loved working on the car with my father.

After deciding to save the 924S I located a running engine out of a 924S and planned a trip down the Virginia. The end of September I traveled down the VA and got a big chunk of work complete;
  • Cleared and cleaned out the garage the 924S was stored In
  • Removed the old engine
  • Transfered over most the sensors from the "old" to the "new" engine
  • New timing and balance shaft belts on the "new" engine
  • installed new engine
  • reinstalled the front suspension
  • cleaned the interior
  • emptied the fuel tank
  • bleed the clutch and break system
  • removed the car from the wood stand it was on
I was pleased with what I had completed but still have a bit of work before I can attempt to start the car. I could have rushed and started it on the first trip but I needed some parts and would have had to hack things. What is left at this point:
  • Install new fuel line from tank to fuel pump
  • Install upper radiator hose
  • Fill and purge cooling system
  • Install AC and power steering tensioners
  • reconnect power steering system
  • reconnect break booster vacuum system
  • start engine and troubleshoot
  • change transaxle oil
  • replace battery (likely shot from sitting 4 years optima red top)
  • Suspension alignment
I am hoping to get the most of these items done the last week of October over a long weekend of work. From that point I will need to make the decision of having the car shipping to MA or try driving it the ~450 miles likely around thanksgiving time. My apprehension of starting this project has completely been eliminated not because I don't think things might go wrong but due to how much fun I had working on it in September.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Squid924
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Work! Where in Mass are you located?

I am in a similar situation with a 924S that I have owned for 16 years. It has been sitting for the last four years due to: moving twice, getting married, and the addition of 2 kids. I have slowly been bringing it back to life, and have the parts necessary, just not the time.

Good to see another 924S coming back to life...

Best of luck with the project.

Any Pictures of the car?
Old 10-14-2013, 10:16 PM
cjeckert
Drifting

I'm in the Leominster/Lunenburg/Firtchburg triangle. Pretty much between Worcester and Boston.

I've got a few on my phone I'll post.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:13 PM
cjeckert
Drifting

Spend the past weekending working on the 924S. This trip was mostly about getting the engine buttoned up and started. At first I could not figure out why the fuel pump was not powered on. Eventually I remembered the DME needs to see ~200RPM before it grounds the fuel pump coil. After cranking yielded no result I realized the speed and reference sensors got reversed. It fired up almost instantly and subjectively sounded really strong. While I was there I got the following completed.
  • Installed new battery
  • Installed remaining coolent hoses and filled system
  • Filled engine oil
  • Emptied fuel tank
  • Replaced fuel tank to pump hose
  • Debuged electrical system
  • Installed exhaust system
The next trip I take down in a couple weeks I am planning on getting the following done.
  • Replace transaxle oil
  • Clean interior
  • Short test drive!
Old 10-29-2013, 04:02 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cjeckert
I'm in the Leominster/Lunenburg/Firtchburg triangle. Pretty much between Worcester and Boston.

I've got a few on my phone I'll post.
Love them 924Ss. Subscribed.

tino
Old 10-30-2013, 07:24 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

^^^^^
Me too.

I'm glad you decided to save it. Any car can let a person relive/remember/enjoy the past experience of a shared event but it probably wouldn't be the same.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:53 PM
Squid924
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Holden Massachusetts, not too far away.....let me know if you want to grab a beer some time and talk cars. I could definately use the motivation of another Porshe 924s/944 enthusiast that is local.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:03 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Now we know what happened in the 8 years between orders...LOL. Keep up the good work. I had an 87 924S at one point...great car and I'm really partial to the narrow body.

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com

Quick Reply: Returning 924S to service