Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pictures of Damage to my 89 NA

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 03:17 PM
Mike 89 NA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Pictures of Damage to my 89 NA

Here's the pics of my totaled 89, it looks fixable until you get under the car, you can see the buckles in the fender.

http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/Crash001.jpg
http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/Crash002.jpg
http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/Crash003.jpg
http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/Crash004.jpg
http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/Crash005.jpg

Mike
Old 07-21-2003, 03:51 PM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

but where are the pix of the car that was totaled ?
Old 07-21-2003, 03:54 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, that just sucks!
Old 07-21-2003, 03:56 PM
Red 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Did your insurance total it?
What are you going to do with it?
If you're going to try and sell it .. I may be interested.
Sorry to hear about the accident by the way. Good to hear you're okay
Old 07-21-2003, 05:09 PM
RobbyK
Pro

Location: The mistake on the lake other wise known as Erie PA

Unless it’s all bent up underneath why would they total that it does not look that bad? Who do you use for your insurance?
Old 07-21-2003, 05:22 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

An insurance adjuster will weigh the value of the car vs. the cost to fix it. Unfortunately, the insurance company's interpretation of the value of the car probably isn't much. Thus, if the body is flexed at all....total.

Having said that...definitely don't let them take that one away! You could turn a pretty profit on this car in parts if you wanted to. I can't see too much, but it looks like you've got a lot of goodies on there. Be sure to consider that as one of your options.

Sorry for your loss...
Old 07-21-2003, 05:28 PM
Mike 89 NA
Instructor

I know it doesn't look that bad from the outside, but I was lifted up by his car and the frame is crimped in one place and bent in another. When it was put on an alignment rack the right rear was higher than the other parts of the car, so the whole body is twisted, the right rear wheel is slightly forward of the left wheel. The guy that hit me insurance company totaled it, I bought it back as salvage as I had a fair amount of great parts in the car: 968 rims, 968 brakes, 968 interior, 930S steering wheel. I rebuilt the front end of the engine, new radiator, water pump, rebuilt power steering pump new stereo, custom leather dash, 968 mirrors and door handles, turbo rear spoiler, the list goes on. All in all they treated me fairly, I'm content with the settlement.

I plan to transfer most of parts to a 944S shell I have, eventually I'll sell the engine. Meanwhile I have an 86 944 that I should have running within a month or so that I'll drive while I finish the S, which is getting a 968 engine I have that I bought a year or so ago with only 23K on the clock.

Mike
Old 07-21-2003, 07:14 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally posted by Mike 89 NA
I know it doesn't look that bad from the outside, but I was lifted up by his car and the frame is crimped in one place and bent in another. When it was put on an alignment rack the right rear was higher than the other parts of the car, so the whole body is twisted, the right rear wheel is slightly forward of the left wheel. The guy that hit me insurance company totaled it, I bought it back as salvage as I had a fair amount of great parts in the car: 968 rims, 968 brakes, 968 interior, 930S steering wheel. I rebuilt the front end of the engine, new radiator, water pump, rebuilt power steering pump new stereo, custom leather dash, 968 mirrors and door handles, turbo rear spoiler, the list goes on. All in all they treated me fairly, I'm content with the settlement.

I plan to transfer most of parts to a 944S shell I have, eventually I'll sell the engine. Meanwhile I have an 86 944 that I should have running within a month or so that I'll drive while I finish the S, which is getting a 968 engine I have that I bought a year or so ago with only 23K on the clock.

Mike
Mike,

Didn't rennlister "adrial" have a serious accident (from a frame standpoint) a few weeks ago, and it sounds like his car is back on the road again. He even had a crease in the roof, it sounds like it was straightened out.

He's in lower NY, maybe the frame shop (did he do it in NJ?) is within striking distance of you.

Sounds like you have a great plan already, but it would be a lot of work to transfer one car's mechanicals into another one.

Can you post some pics of the underside of the car?

-Kevin
Old 07-21-2003, 07:24 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

i'm interested in the 968 rims. give me an email if you decide to part it!
Old 07-21-2003, 07:37 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, that baby is bent real good. Just look at picture # 002 and see the seam between the back of the door and the rear quarter panel. There should be the same gap top to bottom, and it definitely is not. Alot of work to attempt to straighten that out and it would never be right...
Old 07-21-2003, 07:38 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

sorry to hear that man, good luck getting another one back on the road. having said that if you want me to buy your 968 door panels, just yell...(only half serious! )

Last edited by SamGrant951; 07-21-2003 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-21-2003, 07:48 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeez Sam- let the dust settle.. LOL j/k.
That sucks Mike- glad you are OK-

... as for MY list of wants..
Old 07-21-2003, 08:02 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by 89magic98
Mike,

Didn't rennlister "adrial" have a serious accident (from a frame standpoint) a few weeks ago, and it sounds like his car is back on the road again. He even had a crease in the roof, it sounds like it was straightened out.

He's in lower NY, maybe the frame shop (did he do it in NJ?) is within striking distance of you.

Sounds like you have a great plan already, but it would be a lot of work to transfer one car's mechanicals into another one.

Can you post some pics of the underside of the car?

-Kevin
Wow, didn't think anybody'd remember.

The body shop I ended up using was in NY and deals with my insurance company a lot. They are also quite expensive (but my insurance company wanted to deal with them?? weird). The bill for my car ended up being around $10k. This included I think 7 hours on the frame machine (3 hours setup) and a bunch of misc. body work.

The initial estimate was $3800 before they tore into it and got the right price for the wheel.

The thing was my car is that it looked really minor at first glance...but once you got into it and started replacing $1500 suspension parts (dealer prices) and $1000 wheels...it started to get pricey.

So, the key is to get a low estimate if you can...and then go up from there as the shop discovers all the stuff that needs fixing. But it seems like Mike is beyond that.

Good luck with whatever car you move onto next Mike!
Old 07-21-2003, 09:06 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally posted by adrial
Wow, didn't think anybody'd remember.

The body shop I ended up using was in NY and deals with my insurance company a lot. They are also quite expensive (but my insurance company wanted to deal with them?? weird). The bill for my car ended up being around $10k. This included I think 7 hours on the frame machine (3 hours setup) and a bunch of misc. body work.

The initial estimate was $3800 before they tore into it and got the right price for the wheel.

The thing was my car is that it looked really minor at first glance...but once you got into it and started replacing $1500 suspension parts (dealer prices) and $1000 wheels...it started to get pricey.

So, the key is to get a low estimate if you can...and then go up from there as the shop discovers all the stuff that needs fixing. But it seems like Mike is beyond that.

Good luck with whatever car you move onto next Mike!
Yeah, I noticed you posting about your recent autocross, and your signature does not show another car you could be using, so I assumed you were back in business.

Would the body shop "play ball" and get used parts (instead of paying for new) to keep the actual cost down (or so spend the rest of the money on extras)? Or did you really use new parts all the way around?

Did the insurance company agree to pay more once the car was in the shop and time had been put into it? I wonder if your repair facility had to eat some of the money associated with the difference between actual and estimated bill.

If there was any snow on the ground (!) it would be interesting to drive the car in a parking lot (with no other tire tracks) to see if all 4 wheels track straight. But I guess since you have it back on the track, it is pretty much fine.

I look at some of those pictures, I wonder if someone who owned a body shop wouldn't be interested in this car (where his bench time was free) to try to fix it. Because the cosmetic damage is really minimal.

-Kevin
Old 07-21-2003, 09:22 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't think the body shop was one that wanted to "play ball." I didn't get great communication as to what exactly was going on. I called in every once in a while and got the scoop as to what was going on and when the car would be ready. The place was used to dealing with rich people that know nothing coming in with their BMW/Mercedes/whatever and saying "fix it, dont care how much it costs, my secretary will take care of it."

So, all new parts...its pretty cool to look under there and see new, shiny suspension parts. Though I wish I could look under there and see old, but straight suspension parts...but an extra $2000 in my pocket...

The insurance company agreed 100% to pay more once the car was in the shop, it all went over really well. I use State Farm, btw. We have house insurance with them as well.

I have the alignment specs, and everything is where it belongs (both frame and wheel). The signs of frame damage that were there before are gone now. I expect everything is 100% back to spec. In the factory manuals, the specs for the frame measurement points are +-10mm. My car was out of whack by 4-5mm, which was enough to not let me lock in the rear seat back on the side where the car was hit. I may do that in a snow covered parking lot just to make sure, though.

Oh, and the wheel was $1450, not $1000. Crazy...

Quick Reply: Pictures of Damage to my 89 NA