Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3D Printing for the 944

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 02:19 AM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by DHC6
I'd defiantly be interested in one.
me too
Old 07-28-2014, 07:37 AM
LP944
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey all, Ill be trying to solve some of the requests on this thread, since I have some free time from school. What would you guys like to see more? A way to mount a phone on the center grill / top of center console AC control unite OR a delete for the ashtray to hold your phone and maybe some coins?

Any other Ideas you can come up with?

Off topic, but I am also working on a snap on nylon strap for the glove box, tends to open at random when at the auto x!
Old 07-28-2014, 07:48 AM
bumflick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ashtray delete. I'm about to replace the cubby below the radio with a gauge panel, so would love someplace to store phone, change etc.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:46 PM
LP944
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only problem I see is that If I wanted the phone to fit properly in an ashtray delete is that the phone that will only fit horizontally if its an iPhone. All other phones will have to be vertical.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:18 PM
bumflick
Racer

That depends on the design, doesn't it? If it is built with a bit of a lip, you could stick even a big Android the phone in there. My phone is flat enough that I can put it in the center console.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:46 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by darenchu
@butters
How about a one-piece or two-piece(top/bottom) replacement for the 6 tail light lenses? I'd be interested in that. It would probably make the taillights look a lot cleaner.
I really like that idea... 2 pieces, the top row all clear, bottom row all red. Or both red. Or 1 piece red all the way.

That's beyond my time and experience though. Great idea!

Don't mean any disrespect to the original poster of this thread or hi jack or anything.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:03 AM
newkie
Instructor

So 3D-printing at home has progressed quite alot since 2014. Im thinking 968 mirrors, and door handles. All in carbon fibre reinforced plastic..

Finding Cad Models of said pieces are a PITA though. Any one in possesion of such models?

I made a fan **** so far since mine was broken. I also downloaded and printed the sun visor clamp.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:37 PM
GT6ixer
Race Car

Received 783 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Can you do clear? If so definitely these, you will sell a bunch! I bet everyone's is cracked or busted in some way. The black parts can be done with decals. These are nla, I'll take 2...

This may be doable and I could take a crack at it (no pun intended) if someone was willing to send me one of theirs to reverse engineer. Any idea what price point people would be willing to pay for a 3D printed replica of this part?
​​
Old 02-06-2017, 02:21 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by GT6ixer
This may be doable and I could take a crack at it (no pun intended) if someone was willing to send me one of theirs to reverse engineer. Any idea what price point people would be willing to pay for a 3D printed replica of this part?
​​
Its been done already, came out great: <Related Post Here>

Old 02-06-2017, 02:44 PM
GT6ixer
Race Car

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Its been done already, came out great: <Related Post Here>

Thanks for the link. Very nice job by KVDR! He should look into getting these printed on a Formlabs Form 2 printer in clear resin. Not sure how many people held back from getting one because of the transparency limitations of t-glase, but a Form 2 printed part would solve that. The clips may need to be redesigned for that material however since it is less flexible than the t-glase. But all-in-all, very well done.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:03 PM
KVDR
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the link. Very nice job by KVDR! He should look into getting these printed on a Formlabs Form 2 printer in clear resin. Not sure how many people held back from getting one because of the transparency limitations of t-glase, but a Form 2 printed part would solve that. The clips may need to be redesigned for that material however since it is less flexible than the t-glase. But all-in-all, very well done.
Hey Nate - I've been following your 3D printing threads in the 928 forum - good stuff!

I was thinking the Form2 would be a good fit for this too, but it looks like it doesn't have a large enough build volume.

I'm pretty impressed with the T-Glase - it has low warp, dimensions are repeatable, it's strong and has just enough flex for snap fit. Not sure if the 30 year-old HVAC plate is a fair comparison, but it's tougher than the OE part I have.

It took a lot of time to get the dimensions dialed in for all the clips - two snap fit switches, snap fit dial, snap fit into housing, and snap fit to face plate. I had to switch to a new spool and a filament spool change forced me to revise some dimensions again.

I'm not sure if anyone is holding off because it's not transparent - it just needs to be translucent to function.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:09 PM
GT6ixer
Race Car

Originally Posted by KVDR
Hey Nate - I've been following your 3D printing threads in the 928 forum - good stuff!

I was thinking the Form2 would be a good fit for this too, but it looks like it doesn't have a large enough build volume.

I'm pretty impressed with the T-Glase - it has low warp, dimensions are repeatable, it's strong and has just enough flex for snap fit. Not sure if the 30 year-old HVAC plate is a fair comparison, but it's tougher than the OE part I have.

It took a lot of time to get the dimensions dialed in for all the clips - two snap fit switches, snap fit dial, snap fit into housing, and snap fit to face plate. I had to switch to a new spool and a filament spool change forced me to revise some dimensions again.

I'm not sure if anyone is holding off because it's not transparent - it just needs to be translucent to function.

That's a good point. I guess this part is longer than 6.5". I'd bet that the Form 3 will have a longer build volume when it comes out. I am considering getting a Form 2 but for now am just outsourcing through 3D Hubs.

I noticed in your build thread that you considered making a mold and resin casting. I haven't tried this yet but I am gearing up to do some casts pretty soon. Any reason you decided against it? Seems to be you could cast this part in a clear urethane resin similar to what the OEM parts was made in.

One of my concerns about this process is the material cost. If you get the mold right the first time then the per part cost seem reasonable. But if you have to make multiple molds to get it right then you are sunk in pretty deep.

I checked out your eBay store. I love those water pump clamp inserts. I haven't tried printing in polyurethene yet. What brand do you use?
Old 02-06-2017, 08:24 PM
KVDR
Pro

HVAC plate is just over 9 inches long.

I too am very much interested in the next Formlabs machine. The 2 is very tempting, but it sounds like there's still some bugs to be worked out.

Someone else mentioned making a mold for resin - I'd be curious to see the results. I'm sure it would take some effort to get the molds dialed in.

I use Ninjaflex for the clamp inserts. I've had parts installed in my car for the past year and several thousand miles later they show no signs of degradation.

Ninja semi-flex is a really impressive material too if you need something less flexible but extremely strong/tough. I picked up some Ninjatek Cheetah and Armadillo filaments recently but have yet to try them.

That's a good point. I guess this part is longer than 6.5". I'd bet that the Form 3 will have a longer build volume when it comes out. I am considering getting a Form 2 but for now am just outsourcing through 3D Hubs.

I noticed in your build thread that you considered making a mold and resin casting. I haven't tried this yet but I am gearing up to do some casts pretty soon. Any reason you decided against it? Seems to be you could cast this part in a clear urethane resin similar to what the OEM parts was made in.

One of my concerns about this process is the material cost. If you get the mold right the first time then the per part cost seem reasonable. But if you have to make multiple molds to get it right then you are sunk in pretty deep.

I checked out your eBay store. I love those water pump clamp inserts. I haven't tried printing in polyurethene yet. What brand do you use?
Old 02-08-2017, 05:48 PM
NCLA951
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any time to look into distributor delete plate, or Cam Gear Cover like CEP?
Old 02-08-2017, 06:06 PM
KVDR
Pro

Yep! Have some early examples cut out of aluminum. Updates in a week or two.

Originally Posted by NCLA951
Any time to look into distributor delete plate, or Cam Gear Cover like CEP?

Quick Reply: 3D Printing for the 944