Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Likely the minor-est question possible ;)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 04:57 PM
todzilla
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Likely the minor-est question possible ;)

Yes I know - this isn't the topic of the day, but I thought someone here has experienced this kind of thing.

I'm going to remove the instrument cluster on my '86 951 (lighting issue) and there are 3 screws - quite deeply recessed into the centre vents - that I need to get to. Getting them out will be straight-forward enough, but when I go to re-insert them, how does one keep the long screw 'attached' to the screwdrivers tip while carefully lining up to screw it back in? Even with a magnetic (?) screwdriver, won't it be a weight issue 'holding' the long screw with only the tip?

I don't want to risk dropping one down deep into the dash so thought maybe there was trick...like a really sticky - yet very temporary - glue to hold it in place?

Hope this makes sense!

Thanx y'all!
Old 03-01-2014, 06:36 PM
dave1192
Instructor

Makes sense. I've done it several times with just an index finger and a Philips screwdriver -- only dropped a couple. I'm sure magnetic or gripping screwdrivers would be a great thing, I've just never made the (admittedly minor) investment.

Be careful?!
Old 03-01-2014, 07:20 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

I have used axle grease or petroleum jelly for this but have not needed any tricks for the center vent screws. You just start them with a finger touching the screw head as suggested. It's easy to magnetize a screwdriver also if it comes to that.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:30 AM
todzilla
Racer

Think I'll just get a magnetized screwdriver and carefully go at it. There's very little room to actually get my fat digits in those vent slots but I figure if I slowly guide it in, the worst case is it falls to the bottom of the vent itself, and not deep down in the dash...I think.

Getting the wheel off was a piece of cake so I think once these 3 screws are out, it's pretty much a cakewalk. Looking forward to actual illuminated gauges!

Wish me luck!

ps- to those that have done it, is it just 3 bulbs I'll be replacing with a 3ish watt bulb?
Old 03-02-2014, 04:26 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive done this before todd.. ill walk u thru it. Its helps to put a drop cloth to catch falling screws.

Also.. brighter bulbs wont help if the reflective coating is gone.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:42 AM
todzilla
Racer

I recall doing this on one of my 944's before, and I know about the reflective triangles. I think I used the shiny side of tinfoil? I'm going to essentially overhaul the whole thing - that and the bulbs. Might as well get it as good as I can while it's out. Can I get those bulbs at Cdn. Tire or Lordco or are they dealer (Weissach, etc...) parts?

Thanx Rich! And whenever you can help me with the front brakes, all the beer you can safely consume is on me (get your new digs in order first!)
Old 03-02-2014, 11:04 AM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use a small piece of paper towel between the screw driver and the screw. It will hold it in tight. WERA also makes screw drivers that are lazer cut to do the same thing. They can be found on amazon.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:16 PM
StickShift
Instructor

Just buy an old distributor screwdriver. Something like this.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Too...-K16/203309812

They are designed to hold the screw so you can start it in an awkward spot.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:45 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never dropped one, don't worry about that, you can use a magnetic screwdriver if you want. Also, beware that if you get the cluster too bright it will affect your night vision - I find I run the cluster near the dimmest setting possible.
Switching to LED lighting will give you a lot more brightness, but you will find it doesn't dim well because of the decreased current draw.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:11 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I did my cluster lights over and putting the screws back in was easy, using a finger to get them in the general area and then screwing them in. Where the lighting mod is concerned, I used non-acetone fingernail polish remover to take off the old reflective coating. I also snapped off the little black triangles to get all of it. I put them back on with a drop of epoxy on each attachment point that breaks on removal. I used air conditioning shiny duct tape (availabe at Home Depot) and smoothed it out with a spoon. I used the Clark's Garage info on Sylvania bulbs and went to the one that's the next step up in wattage and the panel looks factory fresh now.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:55 PM
dave1192
Instructor

Superbriteleds.com has a good assortment of led's that will fit right in the original sockets. Many color and brightness choices. They don't dim very much, as noted above, but it's sure nice to be able to see the gauges at night. The LEDs are polarity sensitive -- they don't damage anything, they just don't work if the +/- connections are backwards.

I used cool white and like mine a lot. Other color choices are available and they're about $2-3US each.

I also refinished the light channels as noted above.

Quick Reply: Likely the minor-est question possible ;)