Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Interstate battery fr dealer not holding charge for Vitesse 951

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 01:00 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Interstate battery fr dealer not holding charge for Vitesse 951

New battery installed in late Dec/early Jan.

There was a period in time where the car was inactive and the battery drained and subsequently recharged.

Was hard to start the car when it was cold and/or hadn't been run in a while. If the car was recently run in warm(er) weather, it fired right up.

I then ran the car for a couple days and everything was fine. Then it stopped a few times when slowing down to a stop light.

I loosened the idler screw to idle at a higher RPM and that fixed the shutting off issue and the battery meter registered full (about 13.5) but about 10-15 miles down the highway later, the meter dropped to 12 and from prior experience that means next to done.

I shut off the car when I got home and when I tried to restart it a few minutes later it barely cranked over.

The alternator is new (new rebuilt alternator) and the starter is new (as of November).

Any ideas?
Old 03-04-2014, 01:59 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mister Quickie
New battery installed in late Dec/early Jan.

There was a period in time where the car was inactive and the battery drained and subsequently recharged.

Was hard to start the car when it was cold and/or hadn't been run in a while. If the car was recently run in warm(er) weather, it fired right up.

I then ran the car for a couple days and everything was fine. Then it stopped a few times when slowing down to a stop light.

I loosened the idler screw to idle at a higher RPM and that fixed the shutting off issue and the battery meter registered full (about 13.5) but about 10-15 miles down the highway later, the meter dropped to 12 and from prior experience that means next to done.

I shut off the car when I got home and when I tried to restart it a few minutes later it barely cranked over.

The alternator is new (new rebuilt alternator) and the starter is new (as of November).

Any ideas?
Have you looked at the charging voltage at idle at the battery posts?
Old 03-04-2014, 02:52 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
Have you looked at the charging voltage at idle at the battery posts?
No, how do I do that?
Old 03-04-2014, 10:57 PM
NoRush993/951
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Could be a defective battery. I had a bad one from Interstate once. It simply wouldn't hold a charge more than a week.

Quick Reply: New Interstate battery fr dealer not holding charge for Vitesse 951