Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket steering wheel install

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 08:33 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Aftermarket steering wheel install

So I'm going to install a new steering wheel and searched for a write up with pictures but couldn't find any. Just wondering if there was one?
Old 04-08-2014, 10:35 AM
turboS_swede
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might help to put what year and model you're working with.

There's instructions on how to remove the steering wheel in the factory manual. Those with airbags will have more work to do to prepare for wheel removal and to correct issues after installation.

Basically you disconnect the battery, remove the horn pad by removing the screws from behind the wheel, and loosen the 24mm nut that holds the wheel.

With the nut loosened, rock the wheel back and forth or tap it with a rubber mallet to slide it forward without smacking yourself in the face. Remove the nut and wheel.

Make sure the wheels are straight, install the turn signal cancelling pins (if equipped) in the adapter, slide the adapter in place, check the wheel is in the right location (straight and far enough back to be comfortable), then tighten the 24mm nut properly, connect the horn wire and install the wheel to the adapter using loctite on the screws and a good allen wrench to tighten the bolts properly.

For airbag cars, there is a write-up here:

http://www.944s2.com/how-to/how-to.htm#airbag_deletion
Old 04-08-2014, 12:00 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

^ Great link, thank you.

I hope to put a 968 CS steering wheel in my S2 one day...
Old 04-08-2014, 05:09 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by SpeedyS2
^ Great link, thank you.

I hope to put a 968 CS steering wheel in my S2 one day...
There you go Speedy it's done lol,only problem it's in my 968 btw which will be for sale in a couple month,reason (health Problems).
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2014, 05:10 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

I've done steering wheel changes before but because I'm reading different things online about the 944 I thought it might be a little different hence my thread.

Thanks for the link TurboS. I cam across that yesterday during my search and do plan on using it as a resource during the install.

Ernie, how's that 3 disc alpine player working for you? The mechanisms/motors on those things use to go bad very often! I hope it still works!
Sorry to hear about you having to sell the 968, but take care of your health before any car for sure. Good luck buddy.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:56 AM
turboS_swede
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Veleno,

The reason you're reading different things is that the 944 went through a couple of iterations and most adapters are only listed up to 87 cars because after that they started going to airbags and the companies stopped certifying their adapters for those cars since it is illegal/dangerous to mess with airbags.

That said, they all use the same adapters as the splines are the same from the 924 days, the aribag columns add another set of splines for the clock spring, but you won't use it if you have an air bag car.

Pop the old wheel off.

For airbag cars: remove clock spring and add horn contact.

Install adapter and wheel.

Final step on the airbag cars is to disable the airbag controller to avoid the big red light on the dash by adding a bypass wire on the harness side of the air bag controller connector. Connect pins 3 and 4, make sure the bypass wire is securely installed or you can have a no-start situation.

Otherwise, a non-airbag car won't have to deal with airbag controllers, etc.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:13 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ernie9468
There you go Speedy it's done lol,only problem it's in my 968 btw which will be for sale in a couple month,reason (health Problems).
I'm sorry to hear this, but thanks for the offer!

Best of health to you.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:40 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by turboS_swede
Veleno,

The reason you're reading different things is that the 944 went through a couple of iterations and most adapters are only listed up to 87 cars because after that they started going to airbags and the companies stopped certifying their adapters for those cars since it is illegal/dangerous to mess with airbags.

That said, they all use the same adapters as the splines are the same from the 924 days, the aribag columns add another set of splines for the clock spring, but you won't use it if you have an air bag car.

Pop the old wheel off.

For airbag cars: remove clock spring and add horn contact.

Install adapter and wheel.

Final step on the airbag cars is to disable the airbag controller to avoid the big red light on the dash by adding a bypass wire on the harness side of the air bag controller connector. Connect pins 3 and 4, make sure the bypass wire is securely installed or you can have a no-start situation.

Otherwise, a non-airbag car won't have to deal with airbag controllers, etc.
That makes sense.
I'm leaving to Japan next week so I'm going to hold off until I return in case I pick up a new wheel
Old 04-10-2014, 11:09 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 140 Posts

Here is my detailed procedure on how I retrofitted an OEM three spoke steering wheel to my 968.

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...the-968-a.html
Old 04-11-2014, 10:45 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by veleno

Ernie, how's that 3 disc alpine player working for you? The mechanisms/motors on those things use to go bad very often! I hope it still works!
Sorry to hear about you having to sell the 968, but take care of your health before any car for sure. Good luck buddy.
Never had any problems with my 3 disc alpine.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket steering wheel install