Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Koni verses Sachs strut inserts for a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 06:12 PM
FIA-F1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni verses Sachs strut inserts for a daily driver?

My ’91 944 S2 cab has 100k miles. It’s time to replace the front struts. I use the car mostly for recreation and sometimes back and forth to work as a second vehicle (3rd really) but not much else. As you all know, Koni’s are high in cost.
I understand I can just replace the inserts into the OEM Sachs strut housings. I have read the instructions for Koni’s where they need to be cut, etc. That’s fine and I can handle that no problem. But is the difference in the ride worth the cost for Koni’s in my situation. I have no doubts some will say yes, by all means. But I want to hear from someone who can be impartial and know the ride difference.
Secondly, the Sachs inserts (half the cost) instructions caution that “extensive modification” required even for a ‘direct fit’ replacement if I have a “sealed” Sach’s strut. Are all 1991 944 Sach front struts the same or it’s there truly a sealed verses a non-sealed option??? And if so, just how bad can that modification requirement be?
I’m just trying to find out what I can before buying and placing parts.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:37 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My personal opinion (keep in mind I'm young and my back isn't ruined yet!) is that our cars came from the factory underdamped and undersprung, I would never pick a sachs strut over a koni (and I wouldnt pick a koni over a bilstien) and I see the easily available koni inserts as adequate, what the factory should have used. OEM suspension parts are just not up to snuff, not even for a DD. I consider bilstiens/koni's and at least some 250# stock diameter springs as a minimum required upgrade.

//end opinion
Old 12-06-2014, 12:43 AM
JacRyann
Racer

You can retrofit the earlier 944NA car's struts with rebuildable housing using a gland-nut. Would limit your camber-adjustments unless you slot the hole a little more. Would also need to shim the spindle by 2mm. I've found it's easiest just to chop the top off and weld on a section from the earlier housing. Then you have a wide variety of inserts to pick from. Bilsteins are very good and work over a wider range of bumps than Konis.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:30 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

+1 on Bilsteins. I DD my car, and they're fantastic. I'm running 250# on the front coilovers, and it's a great street/performance compromise.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:26 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Depending on the mileage you put on your car regularly, that might determine which shocks are worth it.

I've driven all varieties of 944 cars with every factory suspension option available and haven't noticed a difference on the street.

I will be doing shocks on my car soon and will be going with boge/Sachs again, even though I own a pair of early rear koni shocks.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:24 PM
drive135mph
Instructor

I have relatively new sachs in the front of my 87 and they are definitely much more oriented toward grand touring if that's what you're going for, they work great.

In my option, given the light weight and smaller engine of the car the character of the car is much more constant with a back road burner. I plan to bring up my spring rate and go to konis when I get the chance
Old 12-06-2014, 04:44 PM
Dimi 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recommend Koni Sport. I have them on my 89' S2 coupe and I love them. They provide comfortable ride and good handling in the corners. I use them with my stock springs.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:24 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Hi, this is my first post on Rennlist, so here I go.
I recently replaced the shocks and strut inserts on my bone stock 83 944 with Sachs Supertouring's both front and rear so here my take. My car is a "Sunday driver" and I'm 57 years old (my back is still good, surprisingly!). It rides about as hard now as I would ever want it to and I'm very happy with my choice. I hope this helps, Marc.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:44 PM
austin944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

For a daily driver, are you really going to notice a large difference between Sachs, Konis, and Bilsteins in terms of handling?

I recall 20 years ago when I first got my '84 with 60K miles and the stock suspension was relatively "fresh". The ride was extremely harsh over rough pavement, and over time it became softer. Then I changed out the tired original shocks (Sachs?) to Koni Yellows set to half-firm. I was somewhat surprised to find that the harsh ride didn't return, but maybe I also need to refresh the suspension bushings to get an apples-to-apples comparison with the original shocks.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:12 AM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marc abrams
Hi, this is my first post on Rennlist, so here I go.
I recently replaced the shocks and strut inserts on my bone stock 83 944 with Sachs Supertouring's both front and rear so here my take. My car is a "Sunday driver" and I'm 57 years old (my back is still good, surprisingly!). It rides about as hard now as I would ever want it to and I'm very happy with my choice. I hope this helps, Marc.
Welcome to Rennlist Marc..
I too went with Sachs SuperTouring last year and love the suppleness of my daily driver.
While never tracked, I do wonder why my ride over harsh pavement is Sooo much softer when it rains?
(Already replaced all rubber susp bushings, so it must be my 3 year old Bridgestones?)

To OP, good post as you are soliciting newer members to opine on an old topic.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:19 AM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by austin944
For a daily driver, are you really going to notice a large difference between Sachs, Konis, and Bilsteins in terms of handling?

I recall 20 years ago when I first got my '84 with 60K miles and the stock suspension was relatively "fresh". The ride was extremely harsh over rough pavement, and over time it became softer. Then I changed out the tired original shocks (Sachs?) to Koni Yellows set to half-firm. I was somewhat surprised to find that the harsh ride didn't return, but maybe I also need to refresh the suspension bushings to get an apples-to-apples comparison with the original shocks.
When I replaced the shocks and struts I also replaced the front A-arms with new bushings and ball joints, and new spring plate bushings in the rear. Every car I've own always rode a bit firmer when I rebuilt the suspension, even when using stock parts.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:57 AM
jawnsense
Track Day

I replaced the 170k stock suspension on my '89 with new koni inserts paired with their rear coilovers and significantly higher spring rates than stock. i'm very pleased with the setup and find it to be just about perfect for what i use the car for (both spirited back road cruising and running around town) it is significantly firmer but i dont find the car harsh whatsoever. ease of installation was a welcome benefit as well.

Quick Reply: Koni verses Sachs strut inserts for a daily driver?