Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any tips for removing and reattaching third brake light?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 12:04 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any tips for removing and reattaching third brake light?

Any tips for removing and reattaching third brake light? The light attaches to the hatch glass by a plastic frame (part # 928.631.061.00) that when new has an adhesive tape backing, for what looks likes one-time intended use. Pelican sells it for $41.50, so I thought I'd like to try re-use my existing frame.

I'm getting the hatch glass retinted (the old tint film has started to separate from the glass in places), and the plastic frame needs to come off to get the film onto the glass there. The frame will then be reattached to the back side of the new tint film.

The frame plastic is black, so I was thinking a black double-sided tape might do the trick. Any tips or suggestions as to what to use?

Last edited by Mark944na86; 03-06-2015 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:21 AM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't think the 3rd light is glued to the tint. So you probably don't want to remove it. I went down this road last year and Here's my thoughts on this. BTW I used to live in Mountain View. I miss it out there.

To easily remove all the tint, take a craft knife (exacto or a single blade) and scribe lightly around the light. You'll need: big black trash bag, bottle of 409 and a bottle of ammonia and a small nap paint roller. Mix the 409 2 to one of the ammonia in the spray bottle. Black trash (lawn leaf size) open and lay it flat on the outside of the hatch. Cut the bag so it fits the glass as close as possible, including around the 3rd light. Completely wet the inside of the hatch glass inside with the spray bottle and place the trash bag inside and roll out the bubbles with the paint roller and your hands in the tight places. This doesn't have to be 100% precise. Place the car in the sun for 1/2 hour or more if it's colder. Open hatch, remove the trash bag and start from a corner to SLOWLY peel the tint away from the glass. I recommend keeping the peel be done parallel to the glass in the direction of the unpealed surface. This method will allow you to get the tint off without leaving any adhesive residue. It really works. You'll likely hear of other ideas on this post using steamers and stuff, but this one worked for me and was a snap.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:51 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

don't tint the glass over the 3rd brakelight area, it reduces light transmission aka, it makes it dim. The last thing you want. the factory tint is in the glass, but if its got a film tint you don't need to remove that frame. Just have them cut around the opening, its in a flat area and should be cake. Its the other part of the hatch that tint guys hate.

Seriously, every tint guy on earth hates the 944 hatch, the compound curve is a biyoch to tint correctly. Consider removing the hatch for your guy, its easier when its flipped over.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:45 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

I'm going to try No More Nails or 3M's extreme double sided tape. The hot summer days are the real test.

Quick Reply: Any tips for removing and reattaching third brake light?