Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good buy or bad buy ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 03:33 PM
jfd986
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good buy or bad buy ?

Found a vendor who is selling his 1988 burgundy 924 for $7900 US.

Went there, found out he had worked on the car significantly when he got it (from his grandson, who didn't want it from his uncle, who gave it initially to his grandson as a graduation present).

113,000 km on the odo.

In the last 3 months, the following were replaced:

The driveshaft bearings (maybe he meant torque tube bearings?)
The odometer
New radio, CD and USB capable
spark plugs
Front struts

In the last two weeks (3/3/15) the following were replaced:

The timing belt
The water pump
The Radiator
The fan something (sorry guys, I probably should have taken pictures)
Brakes
Tires

If I buy the car off him, I wanted him to finish his planned repairs on it, which also included:

New Porsche - bought wiring
New brake hoses

What he couldn't find that was replaced (to be honest, there were several pages of records and I don't think he was prepared for my type of diligence, though I feel he should have been)

The clutch.

What doesn't work:

The sunroof
The passenger side door handle

He stopped before putting in those new parts because he started working on some other car (an 80s corvette) and figured he'd sell the porsche after all the money (~ 7700, from my glancing at the receipts it looked like more) that he put into it.

Some of the work he's done himself, all of the recent stuff was done by a Porsche certified mechanic and the car was otherwise inspected by a Porsche mechanic 3/3/15.

I took it for a test drive, and the interior looks dated, could probably do with a driver's seat that isn't cracked where I can see some of the padding inside, and the leather surrounding the gear lever was torn slightly at the seam.

Having said that, it provided me a sufficient amount of pickup to easily navigate the neighbourhood roads, and on a straightaway I took it upto 90 mph without too much trouble, I'm fairly confident it could pass someone if need be, and surprisingly it didn't shake as much as my '08 Camry does at that speed, barely shook at all until we hit some minor potholes and even then it held on well.

BOTTOM LINE

Plan was to buy this car (because I'm quite sick of my '08 Camry and sick of auto transmission) and drive it for a year or so. After my training in the US is complete and I have to find some hospital work, if I find it in Canada I was gonna see what the import process would be, and if it's too extensive I was gonna sell it, otherwise I was gonna take it with me.

***** EDIT : I will not be selling the Porsche, I will be taking it back with me. Check my post within this thread on import rules if anyone is curious.

I wanted something fun to drive, with a nice interior, and small. This thing is small, fun to drive (I didn't have any problems with the clutch, no vibrations felt when in neutral, etc) and the interior isn't amazing (my favorite is the old Mini Cooper interior) but it has this nice classic look to it, minimal buttons, which for some reason I like very much.

1) Do you guys think this is a good buy or do you think I should just walk away from this? For him to put in the wiring and the brake hoses, he's not willing to move on the price, but I expect the car to break down twice in the year that I get it, hopefully less, and I expect to spend $1000-1400 in maintenance.

2) Are those maintenance estimates reasonable or outlandishly low? How much luck is involved here where being able to save maintenance $$ is concerned ? I plan on using the car for commuting, last year I drove my camry to work, back, and the occasional 5 hour drive from pittsburgh to toronto, and I ended up racking up about 10000 miles. Will this handle that?

Last edited by jfd986; 03-17-2015 at 12:02 PM. Reason: NEW INFO ON IMPORTS
Old 03-15-2015, 04:52 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

it would make a great daily driver but that price is crazy. sounds like hes literally added up what hes put into the car and wants that back. never gonna happen.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:18 PM
jfd986
Rennlist Member

What would you consider a fair price for this car? He seems quite set on the price, and I'm up for buying something for which I won't have to add new parts out the gate, but from what you're saying it sounds like I'm getting ripped off. If it were your car, and you put $7700 into it, what would you sell it for ?

Also, I don't mean to sound impolite, but why shouldn't a Porsche 924 private seller be expecting to get back what they put into the car? Asking for myself as well in the very likely scenario that I may have to sell it.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:40 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

the 924/S' do not have much value.

fun little car, but the most upside down, plain Jane car in the Porsche fleet. and worth only fractions of what he's asking.

that price will get you a decent/good running 968 hardtop/manual on ebay for cripes sakes.

when an owner starts at a price like that, he's NUTS and forever will be... the range for that car is about $1,500~$3,200.

again, they are lovely little cars....

but, with the 924 so horrendously upstaged by the 944 (a car with very modest demand in the first place),

why get a 924 when, for just a few dollars more, you can be in a 944??

there's just no comparison.....

the numbers are so bad,

you will see money in/money out ratios for these cars ranging from 8:1 to has high as 12:1.

it's hard to find any car with a cost of ownership/money out profile nearly as bad.

even if someone hands you the keys to a 924S for free, it's still one of the most upside down cars on the planet.

due to near zero interest from the buying public come re-sell time.

i'll get flamed for this but, imo, the 924 is a very cool prototype that never should have been put into production...

they should have held back.

but, when the 924 got the J-Lo hips to become the Carrera GT or 944, the car was an instant smash...

and deservedly so.

start with a 944/S/S2/T or 968.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:07 PM
jfd986
Rennlist Member

If you guys think the car is overvalued no matter how many repairs this guy's put into it, and you think it's much better to spend money on a 944 in general no matter how good shape a 924 that I see is in, then I believe you guys and I'm walking away from this entirely. Thanks for your input guys, much appreciated. If anyone has any strong contradictions to this, I'll keep checking for updates, but seriously, from what I'm hearing right now, there's no point at all in me pursuing this. Even if he came down all the way to $3000 by some miracle of desperation, it sounds like I'll still end up with a car that is inferior with no specific advantages to its model type.

Some time next week, a collector / private dealer 30 minutes north of me will supposedly be putting up a 944 with low mileage, a red exterior and black-on-red interior. Colour scheme matters little to me (unless the colour is pink, or hot yellow or hot green, or hot anything, those are all avoidables to me), but I'll wait to see what he has in stock.

Would you guys think that any of these are worth a look for me?

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/4883802618.html
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/4891299400.html
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/4892209582.html
http://youngstown.craigslist.org/ctd/4895843559.html

To update, re: the silver 944 Turbo,

I called the guy, he apparently organizes autocross events for the Porsche club in the pittsburgh surrounding area, and the following has been replaced within the last 6000 miles:

Timing belt
Water pump
Rollers
Clutch
Brakes
Head of engine redone
Master Cylinder

He says that, next year, it'll be 5 years for the car (driven around 6000 miles within those 5 years) and I'll need to replace the timing belt then (~ $900). He says the rest of it must be carefully maintained, and he said the car has an "Open Wastegate", and as far as I understood from what he explained, it's the thing that regulates airflow for the turbo boost.

If I have a 944 turbo, I may consider putting it through some track time.

At $8500, do you guys think THIS is a good buy? or a bad buy?

Last edited by jfd986; 03-15-2015 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:08 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

no worries jfd, no offence taken. i actually like the 924 a lot but in the real world market that thing will never go for that kind of price. This seller has every right to ask what he wants for the car, i just wont advise anyone to take it at that price. its a common maxim that maintenance costs do not add value to the car. thats ridiculous. have you sold a car and added 45 dollars to the price because you just changed the oil? of course not.

The seller just seems upset that hes put that much money into a car that isnt worth very much. thats the double edged sword to these cars. they are super cheap amazing cars but the maintenance can add up to more than its worth. for most of us, thats fine because we appreciate these cars for what they are. if you like the 924, then stick with it and find a cheaper one. the line of reasoning that newer is better is never ending until you find yourself buying a brand new 911!

also, these are old cars and things go wrong. imagine if you paid a premium for this car, only for something bad to happen down the road that was unexpected and cost you even more money... a 924 is a perfect car for a daily driver because the old audi engine in there will run forever, its non interference meaning if the timing belt breaks the engine does NOT explode, etc. while the later cars are great, they also add complexity and cost. good luck and update us!
Old 03-15-2015, 07:20 PM
jfd986
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sydneyman2007
no worries jfd, no offence taken. i actually like the 924 a lot but in the real world market that thing will never go for that kind of price. This seller has every right to ask what he wants for the car, i just wont advise anyone to take it at that price. its a common maxim that maintenance costs do not add value to the car. thats ridiculous. have you sold a car and added 45 dollars to the price because you just changed the oil? of course not.

The seller just seems upset that hes put that much money into a car that isnt worth very much. thats the double edged sword to these cars. they are super cheap amazing cars but the maintenance can add up to more than its worth. for most of us, thats fine because we appreciate these cars for what they are. if you like the 924, then stick with it and find a cheaper one. the line of reasoning that newer is better is never ending until you find yourself buying a brand new 911!

also, these are old cars and things go wrong. imagine if you paid a premium for this car, only for something bad to happen down the road that was unexpected and cost you even more money... a 924 is a perfect car for a daily driver because the old audi engine in there will run forever, its non interference meaning if the timing belt breaks the engine does NOT explode, etc. while the later cars are great, they also add complexity and cost. good luck and update us!
I've shifted focus to the car in my post above, the silver 944 turbo. What do you think of that car ?
Old 03-15-2015, 08:15 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

if its in good shape then yes that is a fair asking price. youll find some cheaper and some that are a lot more expensive which makes me believe thats a decent deal. pending condition of course.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:32 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

what in God's name is an upside down car?

Originally Posted by jfd986
If you guys think the car is overvalued no matter how many repairs this guy's put into it....[/url]
it's not overvalued.

it's over-priced.

it's true value is so close to zero.

let me show you what an upside down car is.

say you buy a very well sorted 944T with fresh belts/rollers/H20 pump for 10,000 dollars and you drive it 50k miles in 3 years.

during that time the car cost you a little. during the time you drove it, it got to running rough a few times/couple-a ref sensor crap, and a vacuum leak. $800.

oh dammit at the 43 k mile ownership interval, the clutch went. $2,400.

after 50k miles, you get the belts and H20 pump done: add another $1,200.

now, you sell the car for $9,100.

$9.100? well, during the time you owned your turbo, they went up in value a little, HEY!! (during those 3 years, there was more attrition. many more 944Ts blown up, sent the track, blown up again, or crashed).

you also put quite a tidy sum of miles on the car. sold!! for $9,100.

crunching numbers.

(under-the-hood only/ignoring any-car maintenance stuff like brake pads which doesn't change much car to car).

$$$ in = $10,000 + $4,400 (repairs) = $14,400

$$$ out = $9,100. cost to own a car that goes 0-100mph-0 in 16 seconds: $5,300.

final tally: roughly 1.58 to 1 in upside down car land. very interesting.

now, you buy a SUPER really nice up-to-date 924S for $5,500.

Geebus, another who got a stubborn seller to SELL, and still overpaid by ( that ) much.

actually, it's all the money you had.... but, you ended up being the only interested customer he could find..... that fact that you wanted 'in" to Porsche ownership so bad helped him sell his car.... and that there was a nicely sorted car with a "Porsche" badge available at this price, this plain Jane "S" would be judged "more than acceptable."

during that time the car cost you a mint. damn thing crapped out a couple of times... couple-a DME, fuel pump crap and you called 2 tow trucks.

Geebus, $800. hey that's not fair!! the fuel pump didn't even go on the Turbo.

well, it was the cheap one in the showroom. damn Germans. well, that's how it goes.

oh dammit at the 43 k mile interval, the clutch went. fork over $2,300 (saved a couple dollars on the cheaper clutch).

then after the 50k miles, you get the belts and H20 pump done: add another $1,200.

now, you go ahead and do everything again and sell the car....

only to discover during the time you owned your 924S, the prices continued their march to the vanishing point, HEY!!

damn Scion, and Hyundai and half the rest of the world makes a damn nice car that fits right in the 944Ss slot!!

and the 924S? finding a buyer is now next to impossible.

crunching...

$$$ in = $5,500 + $4,400 (repairs) = $9,900

$$$ out = $1,800 (congratulations!! you found a buyer after only eighteen months).

cost to own a car that goes 0-100mph-0 in 21 seconds; ($8,100).

final tally: roughly 5.50 to 1 in 924S upside down car land.

I did a tally on a 924S owner a few months ago. his money in to money out was roughly 11.5: 1

but the numbers actually come out worse when you compare the actual costs of low end ownership vs high end.

in a true-life survey going back over the last 5 years, this situation has played out over and over again on the 944 forums.

as often as not, the money-out part happens when bankrupt owners cut up their cars and auction off the parts here.....

wanna get REALLY ZANY?

how 'bout a 50k mile cost of ownership/money in/money out comparison for a 1987 911 vs a 1987 944S owned from 2010-2014.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:19 PM
jfd986
Rennlist Member

These numbers are very enlightening, thanks for clarifying that for me.

I'm gonna check out this car tomorrow:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/4891299400.html

And I'm gonna check out this car on Wednesday:

I don't know about this car : http://youngstown.craigslist.org/ctd/4895843559.html

And this car seems a bit pricey : http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/4892209582.html

But I'll probably check them out nonetheless.

I'm looking most seriously at the first car (price point is better, 2nd car has too much power for me, I think). I'll update you guys after I take a look, and will definitely be noting down all the important deets from the records.

Thanks again guys, will update after more test drives.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:24 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

check out the options sticker which is usually under the carpet on the rear deck, closest to the taillights. option 220 is a limited slip differential which is cool. sport seats are sought after and there are all kinds of crazy options for these things. 944s are everywhere it would be fun to wait out for a unique car with good ownership history. good luck!
Old 03-15-2015, 11:02 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

I think the turbo looks decent.

Offer him $6500 cash and make sure you get documentation of the engine rebuild.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:07 PM
TurnerJ
Racer

The 84 looked like it had a really nice interior with sport seats which are a big plus. The 86 looked like it was very clean also, it would have the late interior. I've seen that turbo car on eBay before but don't remember much about it.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:54 PM
jfd986
Rennlist Member

Okay guys, I think I made the right decision walking away from the black 84.

I got there and, before I stepped into the car, I opened up the paperwork.

1) The car had some sort of odometer discrepancy, which I'm not sure was ever ironed out. It was listed at 59,000, but the dealer insisted it was driven 159,000 miles.

2) There were no recent repair records for this car. The reports showed water pump, clutch, timing belt, cam belt, wheel bearings, extensive servicing, all replaced ... in April 2000. The odo mentioned on the service receipt was 47,000 miles. I don't know if that's 47,000 the wrong way and the car actually did 147,000 miles at that point (which is also bad to me, owner went that long before replacing anything) or if that's 47,000 the right way, meaning the car went 110,000 miles after servicing with zero real replacements that matter (aside from tires)

When I was done with the disappointing paperwork, I looked at the car, and the dealer brought the key out and I told him I didn't even wanna get in. I knew at that point I was walking away from the car because, assuming zero need for repair in the time I own it (which is unreasonable considering the paperwork I saw), it will be impossible for me to sell the car if I have to sell it sooner rather than later, because of the odometer discrepancy, the complete lack of real part replacement for ten years (which the dealer couldn't actually explain), and some minor accident where someone dented the rear right end, which honestly I couldn't appreciate (but I couldn't find records to prove anything was replaced there either).

Looks like my best option right now is the silver Turbo, I know someone mentioned $6500 should be my price for jumping out of the plane, but at what price should I land assuming the car doesn't reek of bad paperwork?

As a complete amateur, it stung a bit to walk away from this 944, but I'm hoping at least one or two of you will agree that none of you would have gone near buying the black '84 with the paperwork outlined above.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:57 PM
jfd986
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TurnerJ
The 84 looked like it had a really nice interior with sport seats which are a big plus. The 86 looked like it was very clean also, it would have the late interior. I've seen that turbo car on eBay before but don't remember much about it.
When you said the '86, did you mean the red car? The $8150 car ? I was just wondering because the Turbo is also an 86.

Do you think 8150 is high for that 86 ?

Quick Reply: Good buy or bad buy ?