Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

She ran a Red Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 02:21 AM
44mag
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy She ran a Red Light

I sorry to tell you guys this but I had to say goodbye to my new 4.11 944 today on the bed of a flatbed truck, I was leaving university and proceded fairly slowly through a long green light only to get absolutely smoked by a 22 year old girl in a neon doing about 90km/h bombing through a red light. Thank god my girlfriend and I are alright the accident looked absolutely ghastly when I got out of the car ,but there were only some small bruises on all people involved. Which is less than I could say for my car, The drivers side wheel is at a 45 deg. angle and about 8 inches into the engine comparment, my hood looks like a tent and my whole engine block has been "adjsted" to the right , about 4 inches not to mention the fact that we did a 180 and hit the neon again sustaining heavy damage to the rear wheel and quarter panel,of yeah the passenger side front wheel decided to jut out about 4 inches past the fender well too. I'm glad no one got hurt, but it feels pretty ****ty to see your pride and joy carted off like that. Wierd thing is is that that intersection leads into my favorite corner and for some reason I didn't quite feel like accelerating hard at all, If I would have that neon would have come right through my door and I probably wouldnt be typing this so watch out you guys. Well now that I' done pouring my heart out ,does anybody want to help a guy on the market for a decent 951.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:30 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

omg that sucks dude..

I dunno if i would have been able to keep my cool... doesn't sound like your average "mistake" sounds like she was being blatantly irresponsible... I would've been pissed, i think.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:35 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Man, that's awful news!!! OTOH, you were definitely very lucky. It's amazing how sometimes our actions subconsiously work in our favor like that. If you had been flooring it into that turn, things would have turned out much differently.

Keep your chin up, there are lots of nice cars out there waiting for an enthusiast like yourself. Keep asking on Rennlist, and you'll see how soon things start looking up.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:35 AM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Rich Sandor
omg that sucks dude..I would've been pissed, i think.
Yeah me too, the world is full of fvcking idiots these days!

Glad you're okay...those intuitions are interesting things, eh? There should be criminal charges pressed against this airhead and I hope she goes down hard. Good luck with your 944 and search for a 951.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:40 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this seems like a weird request. But do you have any pictures of your car? after the accident. I just intrested at seeing how the 944 strutualy handled the damage. I am basicly just curious.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:43 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Glad no one got hurt, its a true shame about the car, but like anyone im sure youd rather see your car carted off, than your g/f zipped into a bag. I wrote off my dads truck due to someone elses idiocy, and it was a "seconds away from fatal" accident. Yes i hurt telling my dad his little truck is done for, but that paled in comparison to my worry for my best friend in the passenger seat, she came out fine tho.

Ream her for all the money you possibly can, light runners deserve it and then some.

I hope her car was a write off too? Serves her bloody right.

Pics of the porsche might be a neat post.... Edit: For the same reasons as Fishey.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:44 AM
Sami951
Drifting

It's a good thing these cars are built well! Glad you're OK, and don't worry, you'll be driving a 951 in no time ... that's what happened to me at least
Old 09-09-2003, 02:49 AM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

Bummer...
At least they have good black book value, so you'll get a good check from her insurance.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:50 AM
44mag
Advanced

Yeah she was definately being blatantly stupid, I had a lot of trouble keeping my cool but I managed to keep myself occupied seeing if my girlfriend was OK and cleanig out my trunk cuz I wasn't driving this one home. as far as pics go I was going to take some anyway as soon as I get to the yard so I can definately post them. My car held up suprizingly well although it looks totaled the pasenger cabin was perfectly intact no probs opening doors or anyhting like that. One thing I noticed was all the ice cold glares I was getting, I guess people driving by se a porsche and a young "punk" and automaticaly assume it was my fault. truth be told I probably would have come to the same conclusion. But there definately are a lot of dangerous drivers and most of them are in corrolas and minivans, but no one notices them when they ride your *** or cut you off and slam on their brakes!
Old 09-09-2003, 02:53 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about this but glad you are all OK.

I'd love to see the pictures also. These cars are really built well .... I have never heard of a person being killed in one. Head On, T-Bone, Rear End. Which is pretty amazing considering the crashes people have had.

I really would like to have seen the Redwood that was clipped in half when Bill went off the caynon side. He also walked away.
Old 09-09-2003, 03:03 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by 44mag
Yeah she was definately being blatantly stupid, I had a lot of trouble keeping my cool but I managed to keep myself occupied seeing if my girlfriend was OK and cleanig out my trunk cuz I wasn't driving this one home. as far as pics go I was going to take some anyway as soon as I get to the yard so I can definately post them. My car held up suprizingly well although it looks totaled the pasenger cabin was perfectly intact no probs opening doors or anyhting like that. One thing I noticed was all the ice cold glares I was getting, I guess people driving by se a porsche and a young "punk" and automaticaly assume it was my fault. truth be told I probably would have come to the same conclusion. But there definately are a lot of dangerous drivers and most of them are in corrolas and minivans, but no one notices them when they ride your *** or cut you off and slam on their brakes!
See if her car is in the same yard as yours, thats always something thats (as weird as this sounds) REALLY cool to see, yours compared to the other.

My dads truck was in front of the van that I rear ended at 60-70+kmh (van drivers fault 100%) so I got to do a direct comparison, and pics of both.

The damage to the early 90s nissan truck I was in vs the late 90s maybe 00+ winstar was absolutly amazing. The truck came out well on top, even tho it wound up in a ditch. I can post my pics if anyone wants.
Old 09-09-2003, 03:05 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad your OK
Old 09-09-2003, 03:08 AM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

Glad you and everyone involved is ok... thats the most important thing after all.... Good luck on your quest for a 951.... Things always happen for a reason... chin up!
Old 09-09-2003, 03:11 AM
44mag
Advanced

My car definately lost the accident, she hit me with her bumpers and all that my car had to stop it with were the suspension components so she looks like she got away with just a little body work and some new hubcaps. I also have a 1989 Dodge Raider as my winter car with grill guards, skid plate,33inch tires, the works... I got into an accident with that thing in the 10th grade head on, I wrote off a sunbird with nothing but a dented licence plate to deal with and some minor cosmetic damage that was soon repaired with a towrope and a telephone pole. speaking of which does anyone know where I can find some n/a dodge stealth engines, the raider is getting a little tired and I think that would be a healthy swap (its exactly the same block) ... i think.
Old 09-09-2003, 03:16 AM
Sami951
Drifting

Originally posted by IceShark
.... I have never heard of a person being killed in one.
OT!

Saw a newspaper in Germany this summer, cover showed a picture of a completely wrecked S2 or turbo (cabrio, IIRC), two persons killed. Went off the road at some insane speed... so it happens, luckily not just very often.

Quick Reply: She ran a Red Light