Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'86 951 5-speed: rear differential fluid = transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 02:12 PM
BoulderGeek
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
Because it is a transaxle you absolutely want a gl5 oil in there, not gl4. Swepco 201 is an excellent choice. Carquip on Arapahoe sells it and can do the device if you don't want to do it yourself.
Excellent. Love local info and contacts. CarQuip is only a mile from my house. I talked to Chris when i bought the car, just to introduce and ask a few questions. His first question when I said it was a NA was "Can you give it back?" :-D

If I can get under the car enough to get leverage on the drain & fill plugs, I would try it myself. After seeing the YouTube videos, it looks hard for someone without a lift and room for a four foot breaker bar.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:48 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Always make sure you can loosen the filler location before draining all the fluid out.

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 05-31-2015, 05:24 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It isn't hard,

BUT,

If you take the left rear wheel off, jack the car high enough in the air and block it up with 6x6s or enough timber to keep it level and flat with the 2 ton hydraulic jack, you will do just fine.
I used a new 17 mm allen headed wrench and they came out fine (factory torqued when it was new), but if the p.o. overtightened the plugs, you will need more than what I used. Refer to the breaker bar (-;

And yes, by all means take the top plug out first, because you don't want all the fluid in the pan and no way to get in more
Old 06-01-2015, 09:47 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Yes if you any trouble with the fill plug, get a good socket rather than a 17mm coupling nut or some other kludge. I have never had a problem with them, just lucky I guess.

It's no problem to do it with the car on jackstands. When they are out we can argue about using anti-seize, a layer of pipe tape, axle grease, etc. on the threads for next time. A dab of grease or anti-seize would be my choice. Obviously not a lot.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:11 AM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/trans-06.htm
Old 06-02-2015, 08:44 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Something that has not been covered here (to my knowledge) is how to gain access to the fill plug hole with the fluid. Siphon pumps or pouring right from the bottle are a royal pain and usually result in more lube missing than actually entering the transaxle.

I have been using a method for years on my 944s and other cars with rear differentials: Look for a relatively high place on the body that can be reached with a length of 1/2" diameter hose. On the 944, this is about half way up the spare tire well. From under the car, drill a 3/4" hole (use a step drill bit) into the well. This should be offset to the side of the car where the fill plug is located. Be sure there is nothing on the other side you wouldn't want scratched or damaged (spare wheel/tire for example).

Clean the burrs from the hole. Now thread a length of hose through the hole -- usually about 18" of hose is enough. I use a brass nipple to push into the end of the hose and then shove into the fill plug hole. Now the other end of the hose will accept a funnel. Prop the funnel up so it is fairly level and positioned in a way that it won't flop around or tip.

Now just pour in your trans lube of choice until you reach the full level. Allow plenty of time for the fluid to work its way through the hose so you make less of a mess when you take it all apart.

Use a 3/4" rubber plug to seal off the hole. Makes the job so much easier everytime you need to change trans lube.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:30 AM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use this pump from harbor freight, it works very well:

http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-u...ump-66418.html

I cut each of the hoses down so its just long enough to reach the into the bottle and the fill. I drain and fill with the car with it on the ground, using a nut welded to a pipe for my wrench, filled right to the top of the fill plug, and I don't use anything on the threads. I use Redline MT-90 in both my 944, Daytona transaxles, and in my Tacoma's transmission after 3000 miles to help with the cold shifting.

Last edited by marc abrams; 06-02-2015 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:51 AM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

The Amsoil pump works really well: https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...tle-hand-pump/
Old 06-02-2015, 09:57 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

the pump sold for filling the lower unit on outboards works well..about 100 squirts per liter but no mess.

I think my fill plug was tightened to 10,000 ft pounds...

edit similar to what chicks linked to...about ten bucks at china mart.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:24 AM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

We sell quite a few of these:

http://www.paragon-products.com/Flui...p-p/sl4344.htm

Screws right into the Swepco bottle.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:26 AM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Originally Posted by Jason @ Paragon Products
We sell quite a few of these:

http://www.paragon-products.com/Flui...p-p/sl4344.htm

Screws right into the Swepco bottle.
+944
Just did this. Simple.
Old 04-17-2022, 01:47 AM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
It's hard to change the rear differential oil in a 944 without changing the transmission oil (real hard). It's also hard to want to, as there is no combustion back there the oil lasts a long, long time. I think the spec is to change at 60K but you could consult your manual and as always adjust to account for track usage, boat towing, etc.

If you have an LSD your transaxle oil choice needs to account for this.
-Joel.
Reviving this thread...but this is exaclty what I was thinking....I got in my 951 a Turbo S transaxle, (oil cooler & LSD) so should be, for example REDLINE MT90 75W-90 GL-4 with or with out NS ? I recall using with NS when I changed the oil in my old 993tt LSD transaxle. Just Redline doesn't list or point out the NS variant for the 951 or doesn't even mention if equipped or not the LSD option.
Old 04-17-2022, 10:52 AM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by DiegoR
Reviving this thread...but this is exaclty what I was thinking....I got in my 951 a Turbo S transaxle, (oil cooler & LSD) so should be, for example REDLINE MT90 75W-90 GL-4 with or with out NS ? I recall using with NS when I changed the oil in my old 993tt LSD transaxle. Just Redline doesn't list or point out the NS variant for the 951 or doesn't even mention if equipped or not the LSD option.
Porsche has *required* GL-5 fluid in all manual transmissions since issuing a TSB on that topic in 1988, which I reproduced here: http://www.connactivity.com/~kgross/...tb.3.8813.html Redline's text on the negatives of GL-5 to brass synchros is ancient history: oil manufacturers updated their formulas decades ago to remedy that problem ("reactive sulfurs"). Perhaps Redline has not. I don't recommend their fluid, although I know it's bizarrely popular on the Internet.
Old 04-17-2022, 11:43 AM
Duhvinci
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGross
Porsche has *required* GL-5 fluid in all manual transmissions since issuing a TSB on that topic in 1988, which I reproduced here: http://www.connactivity.com/~kgross/...tb.3.8813.html Redline's text on the negatives of GL-5 to brass synchros is ancient history: oil manufacturers updated their formulas decades ago to remedy that problem ("reactive sulfurs"). Perhaps Redline has not. I don't recommend their fluid, although I know it's bizarrely popular on the Internet.
Would I use the same for GL-5 for non-lsd 1989 S2? And what specific weight (75w90, 80w90 or 85w90)?

Regards,
D

Last edited by Duhvinci; 04-17-2022 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-17-2022, 01:41 PM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGross
Thanks for the info. I?m not sold to Redline and they don't always has the correct info or updated in for a particular brand/system requirements.

I was looking to get the SWEPCO 201 as well. What do you think about it? Or maybe the Swpco MolyXP 75w90 Synthetic Gear Lube ? Both doesn't seem to display if they are GL4/5 but at least the brochure does specify for the 202, the Porsche transaxle.

Quick Reply: '86 951 5-speed: rear differential fluid = transmission fluid?