Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water inside car, can't find source

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 01:34 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Water inside car, can't find source

hey guys i'm trying to find the source of a water leak. i've had the car for 10 years and pretty much rebuilt the entire car. I can't figure out how water is getting in to the driver side back foot area. I have already check all the usual causes, sunroof seal and tubes, battery box, rear quarter window seals were fixed. I also removed the entire interior before to see where exactly the water was coming from. The water is coming out from where the driver seat mounts to the floor (not coming from under the dash and running to the back). It almost seems like the unibody is getting filled with water and overflowing out where the seat mounts. I've posted some pics for reference (arrows show where the water is coming out of and pooling behind the driver seat). Thanks.

-and to restate, i have tried everything, removed the entire interior and sat inside while in the rain and water just comes out of the floor like shown in the pics... very bizarre.
Attached Images   
Old 07-01-2015, 01:38 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

sorry double post
Old 07-01-2015, 01:39 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

-also car is a late 85, 944.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:24 PM
fasteddie313
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

My car also did something similar when I rebuilt my battery box, the section between the fender and battery kept leaking a tiny bit in the car even after it was inside for a month completely dry..

I finally figured it out and drilled a small hole in the lowest spot behind the right rear wheel, out comes almost a gallon of water..
Adapted the shop vac blow to an access hole in the panel, took out another plug so air would flow, and let it rip like that for 20min or so to dry it out..
Then I filled that panel full up to the tip top with motor oil and a high funnel to stop rust, and then was able to identify all the places water could get in/out of there (tiny spots) so I could seal it up 100% once and for all..

No problems in that area since..
Old 07-01-2015, 11:48 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Originally Posted by fasteddie313
My car also did something similar when I rebuilt my battery box, the section between the fender and battery kept leaking a tiny bit in the car even after it was inside for a month completely dry..

I finally figured it out and drilled a small hole in the lowest spot behind the right rear wheel, out comes almost a gallon of water..
Adapted the shop vac blow to an access hole in the panel, took out another plug so air would flow, and let it rip like that for 20min or so to dry it out..
Then I filled that panel full up to the tip top with motor oil and a high funnel to stop rust, and then was able to identify all the places water could get in/out of there (tiny spots) so I could seal it up 100% once and for all..

No problems in that area since..
well my passenger and battery side stays bone dry. this is the driver side and water leaks out where the seats mounts to the floor. can't figure out where the the water is coming from, it just seeps out of the seat mounting area.

Quick Reply: Water inside car, can't find source