Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oak tree grand prix at VIR. Anyone going?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 11:35 PM
porscharu
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oak tree grand prix at VIR. Anyone going?

My dad and I are planning on attending for the weekend but not participating in the porsche car corral. Any one here going to attend or have any tips for VIR? I will not need accommodations since I live in Roanoke, VA and will just drive down. Looking forward to the event. We went to the twelve hours of sebring in 2001. Audi had just started its dominance with the r8, McKenna porsche(ajr with Lucas luur, sascha massen, Randy pobst the list goes on) was the team to beat in gt, and the panoz lmp-1 was and still is the best sounding racecar of all time. What an event but I digress and really looking forward to VIR.

Last edited by porscharu; 07-21-2015 at 07:10 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:43 PM
porscharu
Pro

Not too late. Anyone going to this GT shootout? I will update with pics.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:08 AM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Yeah man.. my son purchased my ticket for my 49th this weekend!
Taking a few of his friends so we can all go-kart during Friday intermission.

Was gonna take the '88 944 then decided on the '15 Mustang but with 4 of us now going, its the SantaFe... with a cooler-full of suds.
( yes, we're all responsible adults)

Hope to see a Porsche win again with Nick Tandy in GTLM!!
Also Hoping that Multimatic will run the new Mustangs in CTSC for a 3rd victory..
See ya there!
Old 08-19-2015, 12:59 PM
87 944 C
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wish i was able to go but i have work both saturday and sunday night. Ive been meaning to go back for the last few years and it just never happens. I used to live right in Danville so it was less than 10 minutes to the track, now i'm in NJ so its close to 8 hours each way.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:05 PM
porscharu
Pro

Great day at the track. VIR is an absolutely beautiful track tucked away in the middle of the woods. I'm a bit tired and will update with my experience and pictures, but I thought I would throw up a teaser.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:41 PM
porscharu
Pro

Imagine driving down a curvy country road. You turn left and drive through an unassuming gate where a personable old man hands you a couple programs. Your ticket is scanned and you make your way through a scenic hardwood lined lane and hear the sound of angels in the distance. You realize while approaching the bridge the symphony you are hearing is coming from a race prepped Italian V10. To your left the uphill esses and to your right a large field for parking. The next couple days are filled with automotive debauchery. You could spend an hour just walking through the manufacturer specific car corrals (Porsche, Maserati, BMW, Mazda, Mini). The paddock is open and filled with transport trailers with the factory cars nestled in the garages at the head of the pits. This is the cleanest, best maintained, and friendliest track I have been to. Over the span of the weekend we settled on watching from the field in turn four. The spectating area at turn 14/15 and falling into the roller coaster is also a great location. With that said there is no bad seat. Walking through the paddock to see the GTD and GTLM cars stage Bobby Rahal rides past us on a scooter. You get spoiled by the level of cars you can walk around and touch (of course I did not touch them). Great weekend and if you ever have the opportunity to attend a race at VIR jump on it. I could ramble about the racing, cars, engineers, and drivers seen and spoken to but you are probable here for pictures. I will work on putting a video together.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:55 PM
porscharu
Pro

Old 08-24-2015, 07:01 PM
porscharu
Pro

I can't post all of the pictures, and I haven't even touched the non race cars.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:18 PM
porscharu
Pro

I almost forgot the was one 944 (86 turbo) in the Porsche coral. Anyone here?

Old 08-29-2015, 07:11 PM
porscharu
Pro

Put a quick video together, and don't bash it's my first time editing video. Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Oak tree grand prix at VIR. Anyone going?