Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1983 Porsche 944 Garage find (29 yr hibernation)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 11:53 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

FWIW to any owner of a Porsche that still knows the original owner, I would encourage a talking with them on their recollections and writing down that record. More on that in a second..... and reasons why.

If you get that chance, ask about those items like the air gauge and any other documents possibly found and retained. Such as for Euro Delivery cars ( coded 900 on the build tag in white in the warranty book as well as in the boot area by the left rear taillight.) Those Euro delivered cars or Treffen Specials, picked up at the factory and driven about Europe before drop off at port and shipping to America, got the packages in the rear boot containing items like the Roadside Reflective Triangle, a plastic drop cloth for tire change out, a medical emergency box with band aids, gauze, ointment, etc. These are apparently required in new motor vehicles for 'safe' driving on the Autobahnen. Some of these items made it to our shores despite the known thievery which occurs at port during shipping. Concours judges LOVE this stuff on the show field, and if your car has a 900 code they will ask where it is.

( I also own the Venetian Blue '88 Carrera seen in my profile pic, which is a 900 Coded Euro Delivery car that a Dr. in the Bay area bought and picked up in Stuttgart. He and his wife traveled about for about a month before returning and having the 'Cats' for America get put on at the dealership, because at that time, European fuels were also leaded in some countries and would cook the converters. Porsche sent the cats with the car and they got put in at the selling dealership upon the cars delivery. It also had the triangle, the medical box, and a plastic ground cover as well ..... )

The other item to ask about is the possibility of retaining the little plastic embossed card with the original owners name on it. That would have fit in the front pocket on the cover of the Warranty Book , and been used for warranty repairs. Seldom are these EVER seen, so kind of special to have.

Back to the first paragraph:

I am SO glad I had opportunity to speak with the previous owner of the car I REALLY treasure, a low mile 914- 2 - litre in Sunflower with the seldom seen 'Cinnamon' ( a light swirl effect to the saddle colored ) interior. It is a very early car so has some of the unique features not seen later on following 2 litres........ Not long after speaking with him and drawing out his story and writing it all down, on all he knew about the car including it's many years of storage in the garage------( it was bought new in Great Falls, MT and used on it's maiden journey for his honeymoon thru a number of National Parks including the Grand Canyon, then put in the garage and left ), a change in his life came about which I am thankful I had opportunity to speak to him.

My story includes the years of sitting 'idle' in an original owner's garage, then months more of repair, then a rebirth to me when I bought it. Kind of like the 944 we are reading about here now owned by CTK.

It was re- juvenated at one point and used for a few years as a summer toy by him, then on a trip from Bismarck, ND to Mpls , MN it developed a mechanical issue and left at one of my local Porsche dealers for repairs. The bill was beyond his ability to pay at the time, and it was sold to me ( just the right place at the right time .... found when picking up 944 parts at the parts counter ! ) for the amount of shop lien. The owner gave me title...... told me the history of his teener, then not long after was tragically killed instantly in a head on collision with an oncoming car while riding his motorcycle.

We never know our 'time' ~

Last edited by mrgreenjeans; 11-15-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:19 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I lucked out and stopped by to see my 84's one and only PO nearly 5 years after buying the car and asked if maybe he had the window sticker stuck away somewhere. He said he would look around and he called me a couple of weeks later after he found it I just got it out and looked at it and it shows an electric tire pump (the ZVW numbered item) under standard equipment but no mention of the needed gauge. The gauges may have been handed out as "car candy", like including floor mats as part of the deal. The Cocoa mats you mentioned were a big thing at the VW dealer I worked at, those and a walnut shift **** with the Wolfsburg crest sweetened the deal. I fail to see how a tire gauge on a $20,000+ car would be much of a dealer maker or breaker though The owners manual merely mentions checking your inflatable spare with a tire gauge when inflating with the compressor. The mystery remains

Last edited by jhowell371; 11-16-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:01 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

I seem to think all the early series one cars got them, but were to go with the air pump as a way to know what you were inflating the tires to. A couple of my M456 cars came from Glendale, CA., or NV., or NM and they had the gauges in the glove box, but some others were lost on the transaction, along with the pumps, bags, etc. and eBay came thru on finding them.... but that was 6-10 years ago.

Did either of you get the original cream colored pump with your cars ? In the cardboard box ?

I also remember the Porsche dealerships in AZ. taking off original FUCHS, dressing the car in cheesy a/m road wheels , BBS, MSW, or Ronals and then 'marketing' the o.e. FUCHS over the parts counter in back as 'takeoffs'.

marketing 101~

bahstads, bloody baaaahhhstaaads
Old 11-16-2015, 06:58 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Missing the box but I have the cream colored tire pump with the bagged extra ball inflating tip. My tool kit looks brand new but is missing the bagged extra nut. The OP had replaced the 15" cookie cutters with 16 inch ROH wheels so the extra nut may have went with the cookies
Old 11-16-2015, 08:27 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

more fuel to add to the fire......

the original sunroof bags, when opened up and the white interior is exposed, show a date code of manufacture printed on the cloth. I have seen diligent judges at Concours when frustrated with an exceptionally perfect car to score, open these bags for a good look see.

I presume to check not only the cleanliness, but also that imprinted date against the build date of the car they are working with......

( sure am glad the ones in my small group all came with them from the original owner. Not including the 'sunroof delete' car /-;}

And the single auxiliary nut in a plastic bag for the spare, I have seen coming in the tool bag, in the glove box, and attached to the spare wheel with : ta dahhhhhhh,

duct tape
Old 11-16-2015, 10:02 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the date code tip on the sunroof bags MGJ. I know my 84 is original but I'll have to check the S2 tomorrow. The S2's tool kit has the extra nut stuck in the lug wrench but I don't remember if it was in plastic or not, I'll have to check that too. I did luck out on the S2 and got the factory cargo net.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:43 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

A quick note on the series 2 N/As, the S, S2, and turbo variants and similarities/differences.

Around Dec. of 1984, the bodies and interior changed most notably, along with a host of improvements on HVAC, engine ( sizing, forged vs cast components, h.p. and torque ), suspension, and in many cases gear ratios, and transaxle refinements ( such as hardening of gearsets in the 88.2 and '89 951 transaxle ). Some of these items will interchange easily with the original placement pieces installed at the factory , but many will need numerous 'hacksaw' methodology applied or backyard 'refinements' upon swapping. (eyeroll) Not going there with this thought ......

Those series 2 cars which came after this point in time, share some but not all things with other cars after that manufacturing date cut. ( your Porsche parts counter will have the serial # change from Series 1 to Series 2, and exact date of change. A trained eye will pick up on them immediately such as the open windshield channels around the sides on an '82-'83 and the later series 2 flush fit trim and the changed water channels over the roof top. Wheels , like the series 2 phonedials vs the standard early car's cookie cutters, are sometimes swapped around, so looking there for identity giveaways is not always accurate. Interior changes and exterior nuances like the windshield and rain gutter trim are easier targets the eye identifies.

Let's say I need to search for the booklets in my '89 - M030 / 951, or the little nut or the toolkit or air pump to replace what is missing. Some of those items will be slightly different from lets say an early turbo and certainly MUCH different than in my early '82 built 944 normal. Date codes are first and foremost looked at for the discernment involved, but other smaller things come to mind like :

No such thing as the correct placement of the 16 inch 951 ClubSport FUCHS wheel on an early N/A for look of originality. Tool bags are different. The air pumps for series 2 cars are now wrapped in a black hard plastic case (with seemingly ultra fragile snaps holding the lid shut), and the gearsets are hardened in the transaxle with a different ratio than those in the early car. Rear hatch carpet is different and has foam backing on the series 2; hardboard riveted to the backing on series one.

Note on the tool bag. Even the coloring changed and texture of the vinyl bag. Very early n/a cars had a reddish/brown bag like which also came in the 924/931 just before the 944 intro, and quickly changed to black vinyl with a yellow tag stapled to the bag flap. These color swatches changed thru the years to green, blue, red, etc.

Purists and those wishing to complete their setup for show competition or just personal satisfaction, need to do some homework to ascertain what's correct and true to their model, then pursue it before these things dry up, prices skyrocket with demand, become unobtainium. ( look what has happened in the 356, early longhood 911, 912, and 914 markets on those items which were once common, and now nearly extinct on the open market ). I chuckle back to when at a large swap meet, two guys were desiring the same unopened 914 plastic bagged tool kit ( looks like a black garbage bag vinyl ) which came in their cars. It was on the swappers table and advertised --expensively-- as an "unopened, but complete 2 liter tool bag, wrapped with the still 'virgin' black factory rubber band , ---- which would have immediately broken from years of dis-use. Major dilemma ensued. Much discussion..... how to ascertain accountability of all the tools ? Their cleanliness , rust free-ness ? AND, What about that all sanctified special rubber tie which only a few have and which cannot be replaced once broken ?

Thankfully I have not gone too far down that path of incontrovertible horror of ownership..... I only bring up a few of the concerns the true Concours d'elegance participant debates and allows sleepless nights to rule his life.

Thoughts to ponder on a dreary , rain filled morning as one mourns the loss of Autumn leaves, quick runs down an empty, twisting two lane and a guy awaits the inevitable white to cover the ground /-;

Now, what do I do about that missing console/ cassette holder spline, which has nagged at me since I bought that silver '84 about 10 years ago ? And, then that dried out spare tire vent rubber which looks like it may drop out on the highway the next time I drive 'ol' scruffy' ? The hunt goes on ......

Last edited by mrgreenjeans; 01-21-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:30 AM
CTK
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 5 Posts

Update 11/20/2015:

Tried to start the 944 today and it did turn over and run but only for seconds then choked out and stalled. Fuel rail is fine, but as you can imagine, after 29 yrs of storage, the injectors were clogged. We sent out the injectors to be rebuild as there is a local expert that can rebuild the injectors.

We also tested the the original spark plugs (for fun as we planned on changing them anyway) and they gave off only negligible spark.

Attached are a bunch of picks. My 944, with 3,614 original miles has no evidence of having an oil change. So, we gave it an oil change and used one of the original red Purolator/Porsche oil filters (circa 1983-1986) that came with the car as they are in new condition, courtesy of the prior owner. I also included a pic of the oil filter as removed. There is a pic of the oil drain plug and it has two washers which seated on each other. The replacement washer was a single washer. Not sure why the factory used a dual washer system and the replacement washer was a single. I'll leave that to mrgreenjeans or other forum experts.

There is a pic of the replaced water pump (I am keeping all original parts), you will see the white plastic tip, which is merely capped for N.A. engines as the same water pump is used for turbo models and uses a black piece instead of a white piece and I guess the black piece connects to some another part.

Also, I looked and looked and could not find the tire inflator. Its listed on my window sticker, but was not in the car and the spare tire has never been used. I asked the prior owner and said that he has no idea where the tire inflator is.

I took many pics of the spare tire compartment, the sunroof cover (I could not find any serial numbers on this cover) and the storage area where the sunroof drain lines run through.

When the fuel injectors get rebuilt and reinstalled i will post an a video of the second attempted startup.
Attached Images           
Old 11-21-2015, 12:36 AM
CTK
Rennlist Member

More pics
Attached Images          
Old 11-21-2015, 03:01 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the great photos.....
And Thankyou for thinking I am an expert. I am certainly not, and learn something new about these great Porsches nearly daily, from more knowledgeable folks on forums such as this. I humbly defer that honor to someone else.

Just a few notes:

The photo of the open bag does have some numerals on the lower left of the bag, and in that photo. Is this not the date code ?

Have never seen any handwritten motor numbers on that white build code tag before. Interesting tidbit.

Is the pink anti-freeze a Porsche compatible coolant ? One which is phosphorous free and safe for aluminum blocks and heads ? I have never seen the pink coolant ever used in our cars..... only the green and I always use the stuff Porsche/Audi/VW recommends across their parts counter.

The photo of the water pump shows the updated turbo water pump which Porsche is now recommending for our normals. The white pipe isn't utilized in our application.

I have never seen a doubled up washer on the drain plug before, but they are a crush washer and need to be replaced at every drain. Leaks may occur if reused and is not a recommended thing to do.

You are missing the little rubber 'hat' style plug which goes in the cam cover inspection hole. They should be available new at the Porsche Parts counter. I bought a half dozen or so a number of years ago to replace some of the missing on my cars. Common item to get lost or never put back in after a mechanic takes it out.

GREAT looking car, with a nice straight front valance. Not many look this good after 32 years !

I love it ......
Old 11-21-2015, 10:08 AM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts

I wouldn't have used the old red oil filter. That would have been cool to keep that around as a collectible. You're not going to find them anymore!

It's a shame that some of the engine is corroded in places, but overall it looks to be in good condition.

Hope it runs well after you get the injectors back. Did it run long enough to build oil pressure? How about the lifters? Did they pump right up or make a bunch of clackity sounds?
Old 11-21-2015, 11:02 AM
CTK
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
I wouldn't have used the old red oil filter. That would have been cool to keep that around as a collectible. You're not going to find them anymore! It's a shame that some of the engine is corroded in places, but overall it looks to be in good condition. Hope it runs well after you get the injectors back. Did it run long enough to build oil pressure? How about the lifters? Did they pump right up or make a bunch of clackity sounds?
Altering using this one new oil filter I still have two extra original new in box oil filters and don't plan on driving the car much. So I don't plan on using them.

It did have full oil pressure when we tried starting it. Lifters were fine. No clunky sounds.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:46 AM
Carrera51
Race Car

Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

This is great thread and awesome that Mr. Green Jeans is sharing his knowledge. My first Porsche was an 83 944 that was built in 7/82. Had the tab for the prop rod, and some of the other early items he mentions. Was Gemini Gray with the tweed/Houndstooth looking cloth faced seats. I bought that car from the original owner in 1997 and it was totaled when a dope rear ended me while stopped in traffic.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:16 PM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans

Is the pink anti-freeze a Porsche compatible coolant ? One which is phosphorous free and safe for aluminum blocks and heads ? I have never seen the pink coolant ever used in our cars..... only the green and I always use the stuff Porsche/Audi/VW recommends across their parts counter.
Hello guys. I've been insanely busy so haven't posted in forever(usually over on the 951 forums) but figured I'd chime in here...

Not to be confused with Dexcool, this pink coolant is the factory Porsche coolant and the same color as the coolant which was removed from the car. Green coolant in a Porsche or BMW is the wrong stuff. Pink for Porsche, Blue for BMW. The photo CTK posted a few pages before shows a waterpump from an '84 that had green coolant and his which always had the factory pink stuff. Absolutely no corrosion after 32 years. I really hated changing this car to the later pump style but that is all that is available new. CTK will keep the old pump, rollers, belt, everything.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:09 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Just so you know there is a yellow coolant called Zerex G-05 which is phosphate free.

Quick Reply: 1983 Porsche 944 Garage find (29 yr hibernation)