Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 924S died and I can't figure it out...Please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 08:46 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The signals from the sensors are what triggers the injectors.

A faulty DME relay will not provide voltage to the injectors or the DME. You may find voltage at the coil but that is switched through the ignition key.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:54 PM
Jason-85944
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car won't start period right now. I did not get a chance to work on it tonight...late meeting at work.

Perry and I are going to work on it Thurs. I'll post back so everyone can even up on bets...LOL!
Old 10-01-2003, 11:17 AM
tkacki
Instructor

Classic problem of speed sensors adjustment/cabling related to clutch job.
Check the S&R sensors.

Check also ground cable attached to clutch housing.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:26 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Jason, did it do what it did last Sunday? just stopped running while driving?

I agree wholeheartedly with the possibilities to resolution, but.. It the speed/ ref sensors (and ground foir that matter) were OK after the new clutch (started and ran after new clutch) , what is the possibility they coud have worked loose or developed a short/open in the few miles it has been driven. (I'm wondering this myself. )

My 5$ is on the damn coil. Check out my post , which maybe in the archives by now, from Feb this year- I went thru the entire range of possible culprits and it was the coil (Thanks Bob and Sid!)

BTW- did you get a new DME relay yet Jason? I'll bring my spare (Known good!) for you when I get out there if you would like just to double check..

FWIW.. did you try tapping the DME with a screwdriver while attempting to start it yet? maybe a bad solder connection... My .02
Old 10-01-2003, 02:18 PM
sam
Advanced

I'm with Jim at Eurowerks.

I had the same thing. Check voltage on all 4 injectors with ignition on. You should have 12 volts (to ground) on all 4. If you don't, I suspect jim's answer is thre correct one. There is a splice point in the wiring harness where the voltage feed for all 4 injectors as well as the idle stabilizer are connected to 1 wire from the DME or perhaps the relay (Can't remebber $hit). On mine, this splice let go and guess what??? The car got it's first ride home in 150,000 miles. Oh, yeah, it's a major PITA to fix. If that is it, consider bypassing the harness with another wire.

Drop a line if that is it. If you have a meter and know how to use it, you can easily tell if your 924-S suffered the same fate as mine as well as Jim's.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:53 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok. I bet I know. I had something similar happen after a rebuild. ENGINE SPEED SENSORS AT THE FLYWHEEL!!!! they need to be a very specific small distance away. if they come loose, the DME gets confused and the car won't run. check these. they are on the top of the bell housing. tighten them down. I beleive it is these because they have to come off when doing a clutch. makes sense. hope it helps.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:08 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think ken did the job. If this is the case it would be a very rare unheard of mistake by the great ken.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:46 PM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

The Control unit has to Know where #1 cyl. is before it will open any injectors. If the control unit never sees a reference signal, it won't pen injectors.If the ignition has spark and the injectors have power from the relay, the weld point inside the harness which supplies a ground signal from the DME may be the problem. If the engine has spark or fuel pulse ,either one.The speed and reference sensors are ok. The groud signal is an out put.Also I have seen the terminal on the back of the fuse panel from the DME relay burn out causing an intermitent problem.

Quick Reply: 87 924S died and I can't figure it out...Please help