Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some insight on Ground Control coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 12:04 PM
NotTheStig
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some insight on Ground Control coilovers

I was looking at the Ground Control front kit, but I can't find too much information on it. The kit comes with the front coils, struts, and strut housing. Where I can't find on their website is what shocks they are using. Who else is running them? Or I am just better off buying their coilover conversion that comes with the sleeves, bumpstops, and springs and buying Koni Yellows? I guess what I am getting at is, does anyone know if the Ground Control Konis are dampening adjustable because I can't seem to find that much info on them.
The following users liked this post:
mezus (03-07-2023)
Old 01-14-2016, 12:32 PM
fiily
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give them a ring, based on my calls to them, they know their business and have great customer support.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:33 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by NotTheStig
I was looking at the Ground Control front kit, but I can't find too much information on it. The kit comes with the front coils, struts, and strut housing. Where I can't find on their website is what shocks they are using. Who else is running them? Or I am just better off buying their coilover conversion that comes with the sleeves, bumpstops, and springs and buying Koni Yellows? I guess what I am getting at is, does anyone know if the Ground Control Konis are dampening adjustable because I can't seem to find that much info on them.
Just call them, I just have the Ground Control upper strut chamber adjustable mounting plate in the 944 race car. No issues....call Paragon Porsche Parts and ask for Jason. He can also help
Old 01-14-2016, 01:34 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

If single adjustable it will have rebound adjustability from the top. I have the GC coilover kit F+R with their struts on my 951. I worked with Donovan at GC - he was very helpful.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:56 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

What is your eventual long term goal with the car...?

I remember your thread about re-evaluating on the cage recently when your plans changed but it seemed like you knew where you were going with it now.

Is there a class or sanctioning body that you will eventually be racing under or just HPDE...?

944 spec and SP1 (PCA) have a dedicated suspension "package" and are not allowed rear coilovers....and without looking at the rules for SP1 right now, IIRC, they have to be the Koni yellow, which I am pretty sure is the insert used in GC.

If your goal is to eventually be competitive in SP2 stock/prep, these shocks are not high end enough.

Top of the food chain in SP2 are running remote canister suspension or at least coilovers front and rear that are custom valved for the spring rates chosen (another controversial subject).

I may have a full F/R set of Leda 2 way, custom valved for 425F/650Rr.

We moved up to remote canister Ledas a few years ago.

T
Old 01-14-2016, 02:37 PM
MistaX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the full front kit, they are Koni's, and they are not adjustable.

I will say if you opt for the front kit there are some issues you should be aware of.
Mine came with 8 inch springs, and those springs need helper springs, which are not included. Every time the car is on jacks it becomes a problem.
Their top mount CC plates also don't work with the spring length, the front end is literally on the ground with those, but it works fine with the bottom mount CC plate, and the car can be set to the correct height.

PO bought them originally, I'm just living with them. I like the kit. I know they have good service since they provided him the bottom mounts free due to the issues.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:14 PM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have their sleeves mounted on factory struts with the Koni Yellow inserts. I also have their bottom-mount camber plates. I am pretty pleased with it, although as mentioned above the spring provided with the kit is too short to maintain stock ride height if that's an issue. It works fine for me. A helper spring would be a good addition too.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:56 PM
NotTheStig
Advanced

Originally Posted by 951and944S
What is your eventual long term goal with the car...?

I remember your thread about re-evaluating on the cage recently when your plans changed but it seemed like you knew where you were going with it now.

Is there a class or sanctioning body that you will eventually be racing under or just HPDE...?

944 spec and SP1 (PCA) have a dedicated suspension "package" and are not allowed rear coilovers....and without looking at the rules for SP1 right now, IIRC, they have to be the Koni yellow, which I am pretty sure is the insert used in GC.

If your goal is to eventually be competitive in SP2 stock/prep, these shocks are not high end enough.

Top of the food chain in SP2 are running remote canister suspension or at least coilovers front and rear that are custom valved for the spring rates chosen (another controversial subject).

I may have a full F/R set of Leda 2 way, custom valved for 425F/650Rr.

We moved up to remote canister Ledas a few years ago.

T
Long term, I am looking at World Racing League, it is basically amateur endurance racing. Their rules on modifications are very loose, being as you can enter any car you want. But for now, just HPDE until I build enough confidence and skill to be in the car for extended periods of time.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:16 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Long term, I am looking at World Racing League, it is basically amateur endurance racing. Their rules on modifications are very loose, being as you can enter any car you want. But for now, just HPDE until I build enough confidence and skill to be in the car for extended periods of time.
I gotcha...., not prying in your business, just trying to keep you from swaying off path and making a monetary mistake by buying twice.

LOL, I kind of have a special interest in your posts.

You mentioned your dad and his involvement and expertise, etc. and you and your dad are basically an instant replay of my son and I.

When he turned 16 I gave him a 944S and a gift certificate for a 1 on 1 "high performance driving school", just him and one instructor (also track operator) all to themselves with 1 car and the track.
En route to the track (I wanted to be there) an hour or so late after stopping to pick up a new video camera...., much to my amazement, when I drove up near the paddock I am seeing my son's car really hauling at a pretty good clip around the circuit and as I close in, there's my friend Winston, the instructor standing on the pavement.
I get out and quiz him on what's going on and why he's not in the car...., he replies "trust me..., he's already got this"....LOL...!
My son Eon holds track records at several PCA tracks around the southeast for 944, some by quite a margin and finished second in N America PCA 944 standings 2 years ago or so only to the top guy whom he beat heads up at NOLA.

I build our entire cars....right in a shop in my backyard, and I mean the entire thing, engine, transmission, roll cage, suspension, paint/body. Nobody touches anything on our cars except my son and I.

So....sincerely, I want to help you if I can.

Your grassroots story is the epitome of what it's supposed to be about.

Even in the 944 world, there are some pretty big buck cars. Driver/owners that simply shell out the cash, have a car built by extravagant shops and they don't touch as much as a suspension setting themselves.

They're usually walking or pit biking over at the track towards my son's car to congratulate him when he's 1-2 seconds faster than them in qualifying....

T
Old 01-14-2016, 04:21 PM
951and944S
Race Car

BTW - getting off on the right foot, you need to change your user name.

You ARE THE STIG and you have to have full belief in that right off the bat....

Top NFL running backs aint nicknamed "fumbles"....

T
Old 01-14-2016, 04:31 PM
NotTheStig
Advanced

Originally Posted by 951and944S
I gotcha...., not prying in your business, just trying to keep you from swaying off path and making a monetary mistake by buying twice.

LOL, I kind of have a special interest in your posts.

You mentioned your dad and his involvement and expertise, etc. and you and your dad are basically an instant replay of my son and I.

When he turned 16 I gave him a 944S and a gift certificate for a 1 on 1 "high performance driving school", just him and one instructor (also track operator) all to themselves with 1 car and the track.
En route to the track (I wanted to be there) an hour or so late after stopping to pick up a new video camera...., much to my amazement, when I drove up near the paddock I am seeing my son's car really hauling at a pretty good clip around the circuit and as I close in, there's my friend Winston, the instructor standing on the pavement.
I get out and quiz him on what's going on and why he's not in the car...., he replies "trust me..., he's already got this"....LOL...!
My son Eon holds track records at several PCA tracks around the southeast for 944, some by quite a margin and finished second in N America PCA 944 standings 2 years ago or so only to the top guy whom he beat heads up at NOLA.

I build our entire cars....right in a shop in my backyard, and I mean the entire thing, engine, transmission, roll cage, suspension, paint/body. Nobody touches anything on our cars except my son and I.

So....sincerely, I want to help you if I can.

Your grassroots story is the epitome of what it's supposed to be about.

Even in the 944 world, there are some pretty big buck cars. Driver/owners that simply shell out the cash, have a car built by extravagant shops and they don't touch as much as a suspension setting themselves.

They're usually walking or pit biking over at the track towards my son's car to congratulate him when he's 1-2 seconds faster than them in qualifying....

T
These are the exact stories I love! That awesome about your son. That is extremely impressive, you must be so proud of him. I have noticed around the track there isn't as much young guysaround which is pretty disappointing, they may have some skill that they do not know about. Any help would be unbelievably appreciative, as I am still figuring everything out on my way. Just gotta take it one step at a time, even if it is baby steps.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:49 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

I went with the Ground Control coil overs - I think one of the better bang per buck available. I removed my Torsion bars in the rear - and added M030 sways
Attached Images   
Old 05-07-2016, 05:04 PM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Originally Posted by g-50cab
I went with the Ground Control coil overs - I think one of the better bang per buck available. I removed my Torsion bars in the rear - and added M030 sways
Find it pretty funny how we ended up with mostly the same setup. I remember you chiming in on one of my early suspension posts a while back when we were at the same point with our S2s. Seems like we've been making similar progress. What spring rates did you end up going with? I'm running essentially the same arrangement but it came from Paragon (same 30 series 1 way rebound adjustable rear coilovers, yellow fronts etc). I haven't gotten to an autocross or track day yet but it seems pretty solid with the stock sway bars.. Replaced all of the rubber in the car to harder materials. Feels pretty buckled down.

Love those new control arms! Looks killer underneath!
Old 05-15-2016, 11:58 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Sorry I didn't see this earlier.

I didn't go too crazy with the GC spring rates - 350 and 500 - but M030 sways - I do plan on also driving this on the street.

Can't go too hard on the track either (Sebring) it seems to work well
Old 05-16-2016, 01:33 AM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Originally Posted by g-50cab
Sorry I didn't see this earlier.

I didn't go too crazy with the GC spring rates - 350 and 500 - but M030 sways - I do plan on also driving this on the street.

Can't go too hard on the track either (Sebring) it seems to work well
Hmmm.. Interesting. I went 250 and 450. Been wondering if 300 at the front would've been a better idea but I've been happy with it so far.. Really good at speed through the corners on the street. What do you set the rebound at? Did you feel much of a difference before and after putting the sways on or did you put it all together at the same time?

Quick Reply: Need some insight on Ground Control coilovers