Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gates blue timing belt price

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 02:56 AM
chanothemekhanik
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gates blue timing belt price

So I work full time at oreilys and I noticed we stock gates blue timing belts and I found out that I can order one for my car for 80$ with my discount and it said that I saved 45$ does that sound like a good price?
Old 03-05-2016, 03:08 AM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Look it up on Rockauto.com and see what they charge.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:52 AM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 149 Posts

You work at O'Reilly's too? I'm sorry
Old 03-05-2016, 09:54 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

a better price is the $20 OEM rubber belt.
the blue gates belt is...unnecessary.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:45 AM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Unnecessary? So are turbos, Koni struts, LSDs, and Fuchs

Seriously, the extra strength buys a safety margin that would let me rest easier at night. The extra money they cost is essentially lost in the noise of maintaining these things.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:27 PM
nihil
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
I'm kinda curious about logic behind this. Are the OEM rubber belts just as strong/stronger than the Gates blue?

I'm new to the Porsche world, but far from new to swinging wrenches at cars. I can't say I'd ever pass up an opportunity to minimize the chance of a timing belt breaking on an interference type engine. A $60 difference in belt price is peanuts compared to the cost of replacing bent valves, punched pistons, etc...

Not busting your ***** at all, I genuinely want to know what the strongest and most durable option is for when the time comes for me to replace this one.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:10 PM
snb13
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not necessary if you follow the 3 year/30k mile rule. The OEM belt is perfect for that maintenance schedule.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:10 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

New pulleys are beter investment.

Blue belts fail too. Especially when toothed pulley seizes.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:40 PM
nihil
Instructor

Originally Posted by snb13
It's not necessary if you follow the 3 year/30k mile rule. The OEM belt is perfect for that maintenance schedule.
That's not a compelling reason to avoid getting what, in all likelihood, should be a stronger and longer lasting belt. That's just stating that the OEM belt works with the OEM maintenance schedule, which is known information.

Originally Posted by Voith
New pulleys are beter investment.

Blue belts fail too. Especially when toothed pulley seizes.
Why not both? Any belt will fail if a pulley siezes, but if you have that situation, belt longevity is not a concern since you probably have more serious issues. Again, not really a reason to opt for what is probably a part that wont last as long.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:24 PM
snb13
Pro

You're more than welcome to extend the maintenance schedule on your new-to-you 944, but most here (who've had them longer) will recommend against it. As someone who has had valves and pistons collide in my 944, I'll stick to the manufacturers schedule. Everytime I've pulled and replaced my belts, they've been fine (it was not a tb failure that caused my problem.) There was no major, discernable wear. I probably could have left them, but for $20 why risk it? $80 is another story. It wouldn't take long at that price to be more expensive than what I payed in head repairs.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:39 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

I don't think anyone's suggested extending the time between belt/pulley/water pump changes. I certainly wouldn't. I would only suggest that a stronger belt provides a higher margin before failure than a weaker one. I have one of these Kevlar belts for the engine I'm building, but I'll change it and everything else on the regular interval. It's only $60.00 more, and it does contribute to the safe operation of the engine. People spend $1,500.00 on sport seats that do nothing regarding the integrity of the powertrain, so I'd say that $60.00 extra provides a lot of value.

You're more than welcome to extend the maintenance schedule on your new-to-you 944, but most here (who've had them longer) will recommend against it. As someone who has had valves and pistons collide in my 944, I'll stick to the manufacturers schedule. Everytime I've pulled and replaced my belts, they've been fine (it was not a tb failure that caused my problem.) There was no major, discernable wear. I probably could have left them, but for $20 why risk it? $80 is another story. It wouldn't take long at that price to be more expensive than what I payed in head repairs.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:58 PM
nihil
Instructor

Originally Posted by tempest411
I don't think anyone's suggested extending the time between belt/pulley/water pump changes. I certainly wouldn't. I would only suggest that a stronger belt provides a higher margin before failure than a weaker one. I have one of these Kevlar belts for the engine I'm building, but I'll change it and everything else on the regular interval. It's only $60.00 more, and it does contribute to the safe operation of the engine. People spend $1,500.00 on sport seats that do nothing regarding the integrity of the powertrain, so I'd say that $60.00 extra provides a lot of value.
^This exactly.

Unless one is sticking strictly to OEM for purist/collector/concourse reasons, there is no reason not to use a more substantial part beyond cost. If an extra $60 every 30k is going to break the bank, old cars is probably not the best choice of hobbies.

If modern technology and manufacturing techniques can offer a better part, it makes sense to take advantage of that. Is anyone here running tires with a 30 year old formula for the rubber? Anyone running 30 year old formula for brake pad compound?

I guess my question has been answered. The only reason to run an original style belt is to save a few bucks. I'm ok with spending the extra for insurance though. Thanks for the responses.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:01 PM
snb13
Pro

Originally Posted by tempest411
I don't think anyone's suggested extending the time between belt/pulley/water pump changes. I certainly wouldn't.
Sounds like it here:
Originally Posted by nihil
That's not a compelling reason to avoid getting what, in all likelihood, should be a stronger and longer lasting belt. That's just stating that the OEM belt works with the OEM maintenance schedule, which is known information.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:19 PM
nihil
Instructor

Sounds like it here:
Stating that something is likely to last longer has nothing to do with any intent to regard/disregard maintenance schedules. But read into it what you like.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:31 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

If there are no underlying issues, the blue belt should offer no more safety than a regular belt. The OEM belt is really strong in a healthy environment so if you are looking for assurance I don't really see where it's coming from. I don't see any benefit to the blue belt unless you hope it would mask an underlying issue or simply extend service intervals. In any case, why not just eliminate underlying issues? You are thinking a pulley will seize and the blue belt will save the day?...or what scenario do you imagine?

The question really is, will a blue belt mask an underlying issue? And what are the odds?

On another note, I don't know for certain but in all likelihood Gates has implemented updated rubber and fiber tech into our OEM belts.

Quick Reply: Gates blue timing belt price