Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For Richer or Poorer: The 944 Story (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 08:27 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bro, lets put it in our terms, ROCK THAT SH*T. Dude, its what you want, and thats all it is! My favorite car is the 944! I will sport a neglected 1983 coupe with torn interior even more than a new Ferrari! Why, cause i love the 944 style! Your "poor man's Porsche" does the same thing as every other Porsche made. It was hand crafted to be the best. Bottom line. More than other people can say for their cars. (Join PCA. And rennlist!) Its not about money, its about love. A passion for the marque. Screw other people. You made the choice to drive Porsche, and you went and bought one. You are a Porsche owner, same class as anyone with a new 911. You both drive Porsche, there is no sense in any discrimination, ESPECIALLY from other 944 owners. Remember, these cars were quite expensive for their day. The 944s ended up costing in the mid 50k area by 1991. (loaded) Thats right around the price of a base 996 C2 i believe.

Anyways man, enjoy it! Awesome color, in and out.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:45 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny that this thread should start today - I just got home from dicing it up on the hiway with a brand new M3. It's a beautiful car and mighty quick - but I seemded to keep up with him and we touched 200kph once.

I was VERY proud to be in my 13 year old S2. I think the water pumpers are awesome and I chose an S2 instead of a C4 because it represented far more bang for the buck.

I've never understood the model-snob concept - we're ALL Porsche owners, or even better, german sports car owners - or best yet - CAR enthusiasts. I prefer to celebrate the differences and remain proud of whatever I'm driving - which right now is a beautiful - if far from perfect - S2 that generates a non-stop stream of ****-eating giggles every time I drive it!

RK
Old 10-11-2003, 12:49 AM
bloodraven
Race Car

well, if you really want a parts list...heh...here goes...(please note: I don't really expect any of you to give this stuff away...heh)

windshield washer pump
power steering tubes (that go grom under the ps resivoir to, wherever they go...)
radiator (*In best Mrs. Krabbappel voice* HAH!)
thermo fan switch
hood shocks
air pump for spare
ac compressor (another HAH!)
oil temp sensor

and then just cosmetic stuff...

shift boot
late model clock
turbo badge that goes on the back
porsche shield for the front
front spoiler (is that what it is called? the thing that goes under the goes from the front of the car to under the radiator...all I know is mine is in two peices...)

after that stuff, my car would be mechanically sound...and look much better, still would have cracks in the dash and a small rip in the seat, and a dead spider behind the plastic that covers my gauges (don't know how, or why), but hey, it would be MUCH better than now...
Old 10-11-2003, 01:14 AM
phantom309
Racer

Originally posted by bloodraven
well, if you really want a parts list...heh...here goes...(please note: I in the seat, and a dead spider behind the plastic that covers my gauges (don't know how, or why), but hey, it would be MUCH better than now...
That's wierd. I have a dead spider in mine too.
Old 10-11-2003, 01:47 AM
Baron009
Pro

Spiders seem to always find a nice place that you can't really get to and they decide to die there to make a statement or something. Its like haha even though I'm dead I'm going to annoy you for years to come!
Old 10-11-2003, 03:00 AM
Eurocarguy
Track Day

I still remember the first time someone to my face call it a poor man's Porsche. It was a young woman, maybe 20 or so. The year was 1990, and she was speaking of my 1987 944. At the time, not exactly a cheap car. I was dumbfounded, as this woman couldn't afford a second hand bicycle....just jealous I guess. Still annoys me and it happened 13 years ago.
Old 10-11-2003, 04:05 AM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

Eurocar, most people that make those silly comments are like parrots, they just repeat what they hear. I just laugh when i hear ignorant remarks about how our cars our a poormans porsche, yeah right!
Old 10-11-2003, 11:22 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

BloodRaven, hit up ebay!!! I bet you can find some of the cosmetic stuff cheap (even new)! Maybe even some of those switches too. Just remmeber to check the seller out and watch yourself from shady deals.

Now, speaking of spiders...they SWARM to my car! Theres always webs made on my car! I dont get it!!! They love making webs between the window and the side mirrors! They always do this! Its annoying.
Old 10-11-2003, 11:31 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At one point in my long life, I'm sitting at a stop light in my "pretty rough" project car and a sleek sports car slides up next to me. Man, I think, that is soooo cool.

A few years later, sitting at that same light in my pristine sports car and an older car rumbles up. Hmmm, I think, that puppy's got potential.

Life is a blast, enjoy the ride...Bruce
Old 10-11-2003, 11:49 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny... I bought a 968 (and later a 944) specifically because it was a driver's car and I wanted to avoid the stigma of a "rich ******'s car". Plus, you can be guaranteed that people who drive 924/944/968 are automotive enthusiasts -- no make that connoisseurs.

Plus, I'm proud of that we can't even afford to have the luxury of cupholders -- just drive!
Old 10-11-2003, 12:24 PM
incessant
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car is my temple, and driving it is a religious experience

Quick Reply: For Richer or Poorer: The 944 Story (Long)