Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For Richer or Poorer: The 944 Story (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 02:04 AM
bloodraven
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For Richer or Poorer: The 944 Story (Long)

The Porsche Legacy began over half a century ago. In that time, they have brought to the table a barrage of roadsters (356, Boxster), classic sports cars (911, 914), super cars (911 GT1, Carrera GT), and most recently, off road vehicles (Cayenne).
These vehicles (aside from perhaps the Cayenne and Boxster) are viewed by purists and admirers as the epitome of vehicular bliss. But None received the outcry that fell upon the semi-affordable, front-engined 944.
In the mid-70's (if my history is correct), Porsche created it's first ever water-cooled, front-mounted engine, when it first released the 924. Throughout the late 70's and all throughout the 80's (and stumbling into the 90's) Porsche unleashed waves of water-cooled front engine vehicles. The 924, 931, 928, 944 (N/A, S, S2), 951, and the 968. Out of all of these, the one that has had the most recognition is the 944 (and its variants). My story focuses on one of these variants, the 944 Turbo (951).
It is every boys dream to own a fast, luxurious sports car. I was no different. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, these were the things dreams were made of. I would look at pictures of these for hours, day dreaming that I, one day, would be the proud owner of one.
That day came earlier this year, when I purchased my very own 944 Turbo, at the young age of only 19. It's an 86 model, 136,000 miles. You can imagine the smile on my face when it was delivered to my house. Or when I got in and cranked it up for the first time, drove it, felt the boost kick in, and felt it hug curves like nobodies business. I was in heaven every time the engine revved.
But, my joy was met with harsh criticism. Not just from so-called "purists", but also from avid 944 lovers.
These "purists" I speak of are of the "a 944 isn't a REAL Porsche" crowd. Why they don't like them, though, is beyond me. I know a few who say that a 944 is hideous, slow, don't handle worth crap...many things. But the one that hurts the most is the "It's a poor mans Porsche!" line. Normally, I would just let this roll off me, but that line was never more true than when I bought mine.
And thats where most of my criticism comes from. I make maybe $8,000 a year. With this money, I pay bills, buy my medicine, monthly doctor visits, groceries, and try my best to do upkeep on my car. I get odd looks when I drive around because of the clothes I wear, or the way my car makes a sort of grunting noise when I turn the wheel (cause by a power steering leak though).
Even people who own 944's have smirked at me, and this is what bothers me. Do we still live in a society were we are judged by how much money we make? In a country were the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, I guess I shouldn't expect too much.
I remember reading once that if you can't afford one, don't get one. I cannot afford $1,000 a year maintenance, nowhere near it. I can't afford to buy a part every time something goes wrong, be it $100, $50, sometimes even $10. Hell, I can barely afford to put GAS in the damn thing. But I find ways. It may take me a few months to save up to buy a windshield washer pump, but I will do it eventually. No matter what the problem, it will be fixed eventually, even if it means parking it for a few months. I don't have a garage to keep it in, nor can I afford a car cover. It will be driven in rand AND snow (though I will stick to my no food/drink rule). My car may not be the nicest, nor the fastest. It may have small chips in the paint, and small dents in the hood. But man oh man, you wouldn't believe the size of the smile on my face every time I think about it.
I know I jumped around a lot in this, and probably lost a few people. I guess its were I kind of got offended by something said by another 944 owner. He isn't part of Rennlist, just someone I met upon the road. But, in light of what he said, I leave you with these questions:

Just because my car may seem like it isn't taken good care of, does that mean I don't love it? Just because I can't afford to take care of it the way most people here do (though trust me, I would LOVE too), does that make me less of a man?
Old 10-10-2003, 02:11 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of course not. Remember, these kinda are the "poor man's Porsche", in that jackasses who don't make enough to buy the latest and greatest from Stuttgart get a 944 just for the badge up front.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:16 AM
bloodraven
Race Car

I guess another thing I forgot to put in was the fact that I know they basically ARE the poor man's porsche, and a lot of people buy them for that badge, but there are a few, like us here, that bought them because of an undying love for them, and people seem to think that because of the amount of money i make, i bought it for the badge alone...
Old 10-10-2003, 03:00 AM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

I know exactly what you mean.

I'm 19 as well, and I'm paying my own bills, gas, college, and I'm saving up for a 951. Of course my dad helps me upkeep my cars, but I say no to spending money, and say yes to saving to get this damn 951. I'm planning to do most of the work on the car, but my goal is to get this thing up to 400hp, with a $4000 budget. Ya some people laugh, but I think it's possible.

But, you name one damn car that can out perform this car for the price we buy these things at. None.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:36 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nay, not poor man's Porsche - just my favorite one! I can use her like a truck, and haul things around, pass my friend in her 2003 Celica on the turns, and have a blast with my car.

Kijo, my 944, needs a pile of stuff done to her, but I try to keep her mechanically sound. Everything else has to wait it's turn.

So what if she needs a new paint job? These cars can take a beating, fun to drive.

These cars also helped to save Porsche's *** in the '80s, when they had financial trouble.

But the best part of the 944s is that they have the biggest advantage over their siblings, because they are MEANT to be driven, not sitting on a show room floor, and take it!

Next time some turkey gives you ****, remind him that all new Porsches are water cooled, and that these were the beginning of that trend.

Viva la 944!

- Julie
Old 10-10-2003, 04:17 AM
Fishguy
Instructor

luckily, I dont have any sort of crowd up here like that
heck, there isnt that much of a crowd at all!

we have our PCA chapter and I havent joined (though i dropped by one of their autocrosses and watched - looks fun)

but all ive gotten from people around here is

you own a Porsche?!? with some amazement expressed

And im like yeah, a 944, pretty nice, not a 'fast' car
and many interrupt me and say, so what? its a Porsche.

no one has scoffed at me for owning a 944, and all agree I got it cheap ($5,100 + $400 repair so far, gonna get new belts next summer - only 24,600 miles when i bought it, got it up to 26,000 in under 2 months)

So, I've gotten nothing but good news, i hope i dont run into any "purists" as you put it, but it doesnt look like there are any

I did go to a local young guy (akms.com) car club meet at night once, and they thought the Porsche was pretty neat, but i didnt talk to very many of them
they seem to be very drag racing oriented, with straight line speed mostly the goal, and only one guy i knew of that actively autocrossed (and won the one i went to, in his white Silvia- it owned ALL the Porsches there, and all the other cars)

so dont let them get to you... they are just jealous they paid much more than you!
Old 10-10-2003, 06:31 AM
johnjcoyle
Instructor

As a car dealer, many people ask me why I am driving an old 944.

I simply reply that as a car dealer I have enough knowledge to recognise a good drivers car when I see and drive one.

After saying this it normally takes about 2 seconds for the customer to realise that I am telling them the truth and they always turn around and look at the car they drove into the dealership with and scratch their head..

Then comes the question... so how much is a good 944 !!

John
Belgium 1988 NA Alpine White.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:09 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah, 944's are definitly more affordable than a oscillating fan car, but the quality and technology is there, and we could outhandle a 911 for half the price!! And if anybody gives you any lip about your front engine car, remind them that they are driving a vw bug w/ a crest.

i love the rear engine cars but people like that can bite me, and besides, i still get loads of people complimenting and getting all bug eyed at my old leaky watercooler.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:49 AM
Richard Lang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Enjoy your car, as you gain time and talent learn all you can about her. Then fix and maintain her as you go and she will not let you down.

Don't worry about the "Purist" most of them don't know why they drive Porsche's. A true "Purist" can understand your desire to own and drive a Porsche. Doesn't matter, be it a 356 or 959.

Have fun and 40 years from now see how many different Porsche's you will have owned.

Richard
Old 10-10-2003, 11:05 AM
schlag
Burning Brakes

What's this "slow" thing?
0-60 isn't the best, but we're not a bunch of stoplight racers anyway.

The car is great fun to drive; it has exceptional handling, sounds and looks good, and feels just right.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:05 AM
mike944s2
7th Gear

I am not trying to be a snob here, but after waiting until my kids were out of school before I could afford a "real" sports car, left me able to buy most any used car I wanted to for a week end toy. I spent over 4 months doing research, high on my list were Alfa, Jaguar XJS, Masserati, BMW 635CSI, and Porsche (various). I whitled it down because I like fixing my own car and consider it an important part of the hobby. I drove an XJS and hated it. I drove BMW and it didn't feel right to me (my wife drives an E46 3 series). I drove a 911SC, definitely sporty but kind of raw and quirky. The 928S4 is appealing, but beyond my garage ability. I drove the 944 and loved it. I spent the next 9 months looking for a clean S2 coupe. Finally found it in Mar 03 and have loved it. The money I saved from not buying the 911 can go into DE and track time. Just want folks to know that the 944 is an appealing car, not just because it is under valued. That is a bonus for many of us. The folks in my regions PCA chapter haven't got the hangs up about model. 356, 914, 924, 944, 968, 928, 986, and 911 are all well represented. The appeal in getting a "real" sports car is driving it, not looking at it. I love the look of a whale tail 930, but I'd rather drive the 944. The only car I might want to trade for is a 968 cup car. I know, GOOD LUCK...
Old 10-10-2003, 11:19 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Screw 'em.

If somebody doesn't have something nice to say about your car, and are such low-class as to open their pie-hole and show their ***, forget 'em. It's YOUR car, and if it makes YOU happy, what business is it of theirs?

I realize my comments could apply to myself and ricers, but I don't bad-mouth ricers to the owners themselves. Why bust a guy's bubble for no reason?

Anyway, enjoy your car. Don't let the bastards get you down.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:24 AM
2+2
Pro

Bloodraven,
that is a touching intro to your life....just enjoy your car regardless of what others say or think....
It's sad but true that in especially in the US, you ARE judged (to a certain extent) by how much you make...I don't agree with that nor do I like it but that's how it is...the question is whether you will be bothered by it.
That being said, we wish you the best of luck....seek out opportunities to advance your work/skills/pay....things generally only get tougher as competing priorities impose themselves on the finances.....
Old 10-10-2003, 11:31 AM
Jeff928S4
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This ALWAYS pisses me off......or at least it used to.

Here is the remedy.

1. If someone calls your 944 "A Poor Man's Porsche", simply explain to them that it is because in 1988 (or whatever year your car is) the 911 was like $75,000 and the 944 was "only" around $40,000. Then ask them if they could have affored a $40,000 car in 1988. If they say, "No, it's because they are so cheap now!!". Again, explain to them that the "start-up" cost on a 944 is low, but that is because it's so expensive to fix. Tell them a $3000 944 can quickly become a $10,000 944 in a blink of an eye and ask them if they can afford a $5000 head job when a timing belt breaks. Say...."Sure, BUYING a 944 is cheap, but OWNING one is very expensive!!!".

2. Remember, that for every one dink who pulls the "It's not a real Porsche" or "Poor Man's Porsche" line (and must of the time, these are just jealous people who WISH they had one), there are 1000 other people who will look at it and just think "WOW - Porsche - expensive - rich person - blah, blah". Don't be a dot seeker - don't let one negative comment effect you that much. Remember how many other people have no clue about the car and think it's worth $100,000 or more. Focus on them.

3. If someone does say, "that's a Poor Man Porsche", I just usually ask them, "So, where is your 944 then????". And if they say, "I'm not poor", simply look over at their Civic and say, "ya......ok" or ask them where thier 911 is.

Jeff (944S Boyeee)
Old 10-10-2003, 11:49 AM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Bloodraven, to quote Manning, "YOU ARE NOT WHAT YOU OWN!"

Methinks the people giving you sh*t haven't figured that out yet. Keep on keepin' on, man.

Quick Reply: For Richer or Poorer: The 944 Story (Long)