Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newer Porsche Enthusiast Wants 968 Coupe (Bay Area, Ca.)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 06:39 PM
Chris12
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newer Porsche Enthusiast Wants 968 Coupe (Bay Area, Ca.)

Hello to all.

My name is Chris and I live in the Bay Area.

I've loved Porsches for years but have never actually owned one. I've recently established the funds for a "fun" car purchase and decided that it's time to buy a 968.

I'm planning on driving it 2,000 miles or less per year. I've read a lot about the reliability concerns and I'd like to purchase the best maintained example I can find.

I really prefer the looks of the coupe, but I'm not completely ruling out the purchase of a convertible. Something like a 1995 guards red coupe with beige interior would be perfect.

I'd like to thank everyone here for all the information they provide.

If anyone has or knows of a 968 available local to the Bay Area, Ca., I'd be very happy to know of it.

Thank You!

Chris S.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:07 PM
Severian
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris,

I regularly have my '89 944 serviced in Mountain View at Modderman's and I believe they may still have a red 968 up for sale.

http://modderman.com/

Good luck...
Old 04-24-2016, 08:16 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris12
Hello to all.

My name is Chris and I live in the Bay Area.

I've loved Porsches for years but have never actually owned one. I've recently established the funds for a "fun" car purchase and decided that it's time to buy a 968.

I'm planning on driving it 2,000 miles or less per year. I've read a lot about the reliability concerns and I'd like to purchase the best maintained example I can find.

I really prefer the looks of the coupe, but I'm not completely ruling out the purchase of a convertible. Something like a 1995 guards red coupe with beige interior would be perfect.

I'd like to thank everyone here for all the information they provide.

If anyone has or knows of a 968 available local to the Bay Area, Ca., I'd be very happy to know of it.

Thank You!

Chris S.
You have a very knowledgeable guy in Porscheg96. He is active on rennlist. Would be a great resource.
I purchased one of his ex cars, very rare m030 optioned car. I have spent the last few months sorting it. Car came from Bay Area so that's it's home . It is good to go for the next 4 yrs.
Let me know if it interests you. I am getting ready to post it on classifieds soon.
Raj

Last edited by RajDatta; 04-25-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:22 PM
Chris12
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Severian
Chris,

I regularly have my '89 944 serviced in Mountain View at Modderman's and I believe they may still have a red 968 up for sale.

http://modderman.com/

Good luck...
I just sent him an email. I'm sure he knows of every 968 in the area so this should be great!

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
You have a very knowledgeable guy in Porscheg96. He is active on rennlist. Would be a great resource.
I purchased one of his cars, very rare m030 optioned car. I have spent the last few months sorting it. Car came from Bay Area so that's it's home . It is good to go for the next 4 yrs.
Let me know if it interests you. I am getting ready to post it on classifieds soon.
Raj
Thanks for the reply. Your car does interest me, but I don't think I'm comfortable with a non-local purchase.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:07 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm another active 968 guy in the bay area, let me know if you need help checking out a car or have any questions.

They've gotten harder to find, but they are out there. Many 968s get sold before hitting the market. I'll ask my friends to see if anyone has any leads.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:54 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris12
Thanks for the reply. Your car does interest me, but I don't think I'm comfortable with a non-local purchase.
It is evident you are new here.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:35 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
I'm another active 968 guy in the bay area, let me know if you need help checking out a car or have any questions.

They've gotten harder to find, but they are out there. Many 968s get sold before hitting the market. I'll ask my friends to see if anyone has any leads.
Arash, apologies for forgetting you. Always thought you were closer to SoCal.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:07 PM
Chris12
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply.

I remember browsing 968's 5-10 years ago, and finding a clean, low milage examples at +\- $12k easily. It's very apparent that I've missed that boat. It seems like the well maintained, low milage 968, starts at $18k today and is hard to find.

It seems like a lot of the 968's I'm finding have a D1R SC, and I'm not sure how to feel about that. One part of me wants a well sorted car with the ~300hp the SC provides.

But then I realize that a low milage, well maintained car may be a better choice if I hold on to the car for a longer term.

At this current point in time I'm open to both, as long as the milage is low and the maintenance is there. I have a history of only keeping cars for a few years, and I'm sure that no matter what I tell myself, I'll likely do the same with this car.

I'll definitely take you up on your gracious offer. I'm in Benicia and willing to travel up to a few (3?) hours distance.

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Arash, apologies for forgetting you. Always thought you were closer to SoCal.
I'm sorry if I appeared to shrug you off. I thought your car was in NJ. I don't want to waste anyone's time and I know that I'm not going to want to deal with shipping a car.

Are you in Ca ? If so, would it be possible for you to PM me your price and specifics?
Old 04-25-2016, 01:12 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Pot, meet kettle.

Although it's a few states over.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:38 PM
ried
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by odonnell
It's also not a coupe.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:29 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Raj, no worries!

Don't be afraid of mileage. I don't know how well you know Porsches, or 968s specifically, but they are very well built cars. Especially when the owner takes care of the car and has records of the scary stuff like timing belts, etc, some mileage wouldn't scare me away.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:24 PM
Chris12
Intermediate

Originally Posted by odonnell
Pot, meet kettle.

I did see this ad. Beautiful Cab.

Hey Raj, no worries!

Don't be afraid of mileage. I don't know how well you know Porsches, or 968s specifically, but they are very well built cars. Especially when the owner takes care of the car and has records of the scary stuff like timing belts, etc, some mileage wouldn't scare me away.
Thanks for the reply. I will keep slightly higher milage cars on my radar.

As I sit around and think.. I really like the idea of finding an original owner car, something tucked away by someone with the means to do so. But I know I'm not the only one that finds unpublicized, original owner cars desirable ��

I think I really do have my mind set on a coupe (968), but I'm also warming up to the idea of a later model 928... (I just wish manual 928's weren't so few and far between!)

Thanks again!

Last edited by Chris12; 04-25-2016 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Punctuation

Quick Reply: Newer Porsche Enthusiast Wants 968 Coupe (Bay Area, Ca.)