Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New DME Option under Development

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 03:44 PM
Sulordan
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ftech9
I now have eBay listings for the Turbo and NA DMEs with a refundable core charge added to the shipping. If you need a new DME fast or don't want to put your 944 down while you wait this option will help out. This also means you can use PayPal as payment. The listing also has extended descriptions with some background information.

Also, my Solid-State Relays are now listed on Amazon and eBay!
So excited for this. Thank you for your work! About how long is the turn around would you say? I'd plan to use this along with the Rogue NA-Tune.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:29 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood
Are you offering this as an available option?

EDIT - just re-read. I'd step up for one if you decide to offer this.
Yeah I am suggesting it might be a cool product, if there is demand. I do not manufacture products.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:47 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

I'd buy one
Old 06-27-2016, 11:19 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
Audi people are fans of the euro "comfort blinker" blinker relay swap that gives you three flashes of a turn signal with a quick press of the turn signal stalk. If 944 (etc.) people are interested that also might be good product to offer in solid state.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen...V--3.2/ES8792/

-Joel.
I always thought that stuff was pretty gimmicky myself. I had a 2016 A3 while I gave the dealer my 'old' 2000 TT to do some work on and I couldn't stand that car with all of it dumb trinkets. I left it in the driveway and drove my '88 Jeep Cherokee instead.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:06 AM
CO951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
Audi people are fans of the euro "comfort blinker" blinker relay swap that gives you three flashes of a turn signal with a quick press of the turn signal stalk. If 944 (etc.) people are interested that also might be good product to offer in solid state.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen...V--3.2/ES8792/

-Joel.
Make it compatible with LEDs and I'd be all over it.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:17 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

You guys may want it, but I don't see the point of the "3 blink" thing.
Is it just for signaling before you move the lane?
Not enough time to signal, look in the next lane, then move the car fully to the next lane in 3 blinks.

Unless your local drivers are all very observant and polite?
Here in CA you need to have your blinker on for probably 5-10 seconds before even moving lanes...and keep it on until you are all the way into the next lane, then you can shut it off. Otherwise people will swerve around in your way etc
Old 06-28-2016, 12:02 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

If I want someone to open up a spot to let me in I have to do that, but most of the time I find a spot and the signal is just to say here I come. I also use a few exits that one lane is not exit only, so like the quick flash to let 'em know I'm exiting and not going straight. To me working properly with LEDs would be worth more than the 3 blink, but I'd like that too.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:21 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

The 3 blink option is nice - a sign of more modern engineering if you will.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:23 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Have driven ~400 miles this week and have been paying attention to blinks while changing lanes...lol

Average number of blinks to make a safe lane change has been 10.
Look around, signal, look again, move into next lane, and shut off blinker.

Originally Posted by CO951
If I want someone to open up a spot to let me in I have to do that, but most of the time I find a spot and the signal is just to say here I come. I also use a few exits that one lane is not exit only, so like the quick flash to let 'em know I'm exiting and not going straight. To me working properly with LEDs would be worth more than the 3 blink, but I'd like that too.
Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood
The 3 blink option is nice - a sign of more modern engineering if you will.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:32 AM
CO951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Average number of blinks to make a safe lane change has been 10.
Look around, signal, look again, move into next lane, and shut off blinker.
That's how I learned to drive, but there have been too many times I tried to do that and instead of making the gap a little bigger they would close it up, so I could no longer change lanes. People are in such a hurry they won't let anyone in, not caring that worst case it only costs them a few seconds. Only time I use a sustained blinker to change lanes is when there is no spot I can safely get into and I need someone to open up.

To me the proposed relay just makes it so there is a minimum of 3 blinks, and I think if your are going to give any signal, it should be at least 3. Not something I'd pay a lot for, but nice feature. The LED compatibility would be worth more to me.

So with a solid state blinker relay would you loose the clicking sound that tells you the blinker is on, or is there something else that makes that sound?
Old 06-30-2016, 12:21 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Don't know how it is in CO but in CA you are legally required to use blinker to change lanes and it needs to be very obvious in case any LEOs are nearby.

You can get pulled over for not using your blinker "obviously enough"...
Old 06-30-2016, 02:12 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Don't know how it is in CO but in CA you are legally required to use blinker to change lanes and it needs to be very obvious in case any LEOs are nearby.

You can get pulled over for not using your blinker "obviously enough"...
I'm sure the laws are about the same here. I do use my blinker, but only about a second before I make the move. I agree it shouldn't be that way, but I adapt to the conditions. Had too many people speed up to close the gap when I gave a longer signal.

Anyway, back on topic. There are some people who would like a 3 blink, LED compatible, solid state relay and some that wouldn't.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:44 PM
Severian
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe, is there any chance your DME will work on a '89 944 with the 2.7L engine?

And is there anything different you do to the DME if it's going to be used with the Rogue Tuning NA-Tune MAF kit?

Thanks for your support in keeping the 944 alive with your updates.

Keep up the good work...
Old 11-24-2016, 02:25 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 369 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Severian
Joe, is there any chance your DME will work on a '89 944 with the 2.7L engine?

And is there anything different you do to the DME if it's going to be used with the Rogue Tuning NA-Tune MAF kit?

Thanks for your support in keeping the 944 alive with your updates.

Keep up the good work...

IIRC, the 2.7L has an 8-valve engine which uses basically the same DME as the 2.5L 8-valve engine. Should be no problem, I would just need to use the chip out of your DME.

All of my DMEs support Rogue Turning products out of the box without modification.
Old 11-24-2016, 04:19 PM
AgLiftPilot
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Can't wait to get my new 944Spec legal FTech 9 DME in my race car that I won at the NASA Eastern States Championships! Will be nice to know I dont have to worry about 30 year old solders going cold or breaking in my OEM DME since we do so much bouncing off curbs and running hard when racing.

Quick Reply: New DME Option under Development