Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hagerty Insurance Reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 10:47 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
I was storing it at a friend's two winters ago, and the snow load on the roof collapsed his barn.

Tragic. Hopefully I'll have the time to restore it soon.
Yikes!

Old 07-13-2016, 01:36 PM
Funn944
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll never use Progressive again. I had my '86 daily driver insured with them. Someone crushed my right front bumper shock and fender in a parking lot. They would only deal with factory replacement parts, no aftermarket or used parts. So they totaled it out. They gave me $5500, I bought it back from them for $500, went and got all the parts from a salvadge yard and repaired it myself. Had to go through a California safety inspection to re-register it and I wound up with a California salvage title, but so what, I never planned on selling it anyway. I've heard of Progressive totaling out, just because a guy needed a new windshield.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:15 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 327 Posts

I think it's admirable that they only deal with factory new parts. So many companies now will only deal with crappy aftermarket replacements. I've had far more fights with insurance companies insisting that they use OEM parts vs the cheaper garbage.

Not their fault you have an old car with a low value that led to its being totlled. Sounds like it worked out for you, so that's a plus.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:18 PM
Funn944
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It eventually did work for me, but why couldn't it have been my decision to use used parts to repair it at a lesser cost, and not have to salvage it.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:06 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 302 Posts

HTML Code:
Wow! I just did a quote for my 944 Turbo that only gets driven 5 months out of the year and it worked out to be almost $750 with 20k declared value using Hagerty
Not to quibble with your experience but I just checked and I pay a total of $522 a year for 4 cars with a total agreed value of over $100K. Not sure where you live but that may have a big impact. Some insurance companies are not competitive in certain states due to the various state based regulations. And if you live in certain high cost cities (NYC, SFO, etc.) that will boost your rates.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:38 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by harveyf
HTML Code:
Wow! I just did a quote for my 944 Turbo that only gets driven 5 months out of the year and it worked out to be almost $750 with 20k declared value using Hagerty
Not to quibble with your experience but I just checked and I pay a total of $522 a year for 4 cars with a total agreed value of over $100K. Not sure where you live but that may have a big impact. Some insurance companies are not competitive in certain states due to the various state based regulations. And if you live in certain high cost cities (NYC, SFO, etc.) that will boost your rates.
You pay $130.50 a year per car? Please provide more details I'm sure most of us would like to know who your insurance agent is. Seems to good to be true unless you have some ridiculous driving restrictions.

Yea, you very well could be right about rates depending on the area. It makes sense.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:23 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

My rate in Houston is a ton more than when I lived in Waco, practically double. Tons of ****head drivers here (what are turn signals?), readily available to insurance companies by accident statistics.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:52 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

HTML Code:
You pay $130.50 a year per car?
This is with Hagerty. I do live in a rural area in general and a lower cost state (North Carolina) for repairs.
So yes, it does look like a good deal and is. Right now, 2 of those cars are out of commission, 1 gets driven maybe once a month, and the 928 about once a week. One of the out of commission cars is covered under their "Under restoration" category so I am sure the premium on that one is peanuts. So I'm probably their ideal customer!
Old 07-14-2016, 10:34 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

BTW, NC requires insurance to issue a plate. This means that those of us paying insurance aren't paying for a lot of deadbeats who don't get insurance . I know a friend who moved to South Carolina, where they don't require insurance, and his insurance doubled.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:05 PM
Smike
Instructor

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan87951
Holy Cow! Grundy just gave me a quote for $186 a year. Unbelievable! I wonder if they have crazy ridiculous driving restrictions? I only put about 2-2.5k miles a year. I might swap all 5 of my collector cars over to them. Anyone have any experience with Grundy?
Yes, this is the benefit of Grundy.

Mine are listed as Collectors, stated value, and no restrictions for normal use (aside for covered Garage).

Obviously on track time is what track insurance is for. Does cover car when on trailer.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:18 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

HTML Code:
You pay $130.50 a year per car?
This is with Hagerty. I do live in a rural area in general and a lower cost state (North Carolina) for repairs.
So yes, it does look like a good deal and is. Right now, 2 of those cars are out of commission, 1 gets driven maybe once a month, and the 928 about once a week. One of the out of commission cars is covered under their "Under restoration" category so I am sure the premium on that one is peanuts. So I'm probably their ideal customer!
Oh I see. If two of those cars are out of commission they are probably on what we call in Michigan storage insurance and cannot be driven on the roads. Unfortunately, for us people living in Michigan we can only drive our cars 5 maybe 6 months out of the year before we switch them over to storage insurance, which I pay $100 a year for. Storage insurance covers theft, fire, weather catastrophes, etc, but the car not be driven on the roads.

BTW, NC requires insurance to issue a plate. This means that those of us paying insurance aren't paying for a lot of deadbeats who don't get insurance . I know a friend who moved to South Carolina, where they don't require insurance, and his insurance doubled.
Michigan requires insurance to get a plate as well, but they just cancel it after getting their plate. Michigan has now implemented a new policy where insurance providers must notify the Secretary of State when insurance is cancelled.

Originally Posted by Smike
Yes, this is the benefit of Grundy.

Mine are listed as Collectors, stated value, and no restrictions for normal use (aside for covered Garage).

Obviously on track time is what track insurance is for. Does cover car when on trailer.
I don't track my car just the occasional DE. Thanks for the feedback, it definitely warrants further investigation.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:02 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Just the occasional DE? Um, that IS tracking the car...
Old 07-15-2016, 12:49 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by docwyte
Just the occasional DE? Um, that IS tracking the car...
Having a DE (Drivers Education) at an open parking lot wouldn't be considered "tracking the car" in my book. The DE courses are normally setup rather tight to limit speed for the new comers -- max speed 50-60MPH. My definition of tracking a car involves real race "tracks" just like Mid-Ohio, Ginergman, etc. I guess the merits of what constitutes "tracking" could be argued until were blue in the face but if you consider that tracking than so be it.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:54 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan87951
Having a DE (Drivers Education) at an open parking lot wouldn't be considered "tracking the car" in my book. The DE courses are normally setup rather tight to limit speed for the new comers -- max speed 50-60MPH. My definition of tracking a car involves real race "tracks" just like Mid-Ohio, Ginergman, etc. I guess the merits of what constitutes "tracking" could be argued until were blue in the face but if you consider that tracking than so be it.
I think we have a terminology issue. A DE is on a real race track. What you are talking about is called an autocross. Your organization (like my local PCA does) may do a drivers training autocross, but it wouldn't be a DE.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:53 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

What he said. DE's don't happen in parking lots, auto-x's do.

Quick Reply: Hagerty Insurance Reviews?