Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 09:27 AM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nihil
Player 2 has entered the game... Never heard of them, but I'll give their stuff a look. How long have you had yours? How has it held up in that time?
I got the Renown 100 Black which is the deeper dish wheel with black stitching.

It's held up great so far! I've had if for about a year now. When I received the wheel it came with a little sample of the suede leather used to make it and it was very thick and tough. I don't suspect I'll have any issues with it apart from the suede getting matted but that will happen to any suede wheel over time.

I would post a pic but I'm on a business trip right now and don't have any photos on my phone. My car is completely gutted though so it wouldn't really give you much of an idea of what it would look like in a car with an interior in it.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:08 PM
MOMOUSA
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rennlisters

Thank you for all the kind words about MOMO steering wheels.

MOMO has been a partner and supplier to some of the worlds top brands and manufactures, we are always here to support the Porsche community in anyway we can.

One thing that is important to point out is that ALL MOMO Steering wheels are hand made in Italy using the highest quality materials and craftsmanship.

Please take a look at our website www.momousa.com or browse through our flicker account at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/141201713@N02/albums

If you have any questions or would like to find a dealer please feel free to email info@momousa.com and we will be sure to help you out with any questions.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:20 PM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my opinion, except factory wheels and momo prototipo everything else looks misplaced at best.

I'm a 3 spoke exclusive package man
[url=https://flic.kr/p/FJgJgT]
Old 07-14-2016, 02:57 PM
snb13
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plan to get a Grip Royal when I replace my factory 3-spoke. I've read lots of good reviews and they have what I want for a good price. Lots of options.

Check them out: www.griproyal.com
Old 07-14-2016, 05:00 PM
Funn944
Pro

Don't laugh........PepBoys.........sturdy, stitched very well, comfortable in my hands..........jusy sayin', doesn't need to be expensive.
Attached Images  
Old 07-14-2016, 05:19 PM
nihil
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Funn944
Don't laugh........PepBoys.........sturdy, stitched very well, comfortable in my hands..........jusy sayin', doesn't need to be expensive.
That's actually very close to what I was looking for in shape (round with flat bottom, thick rim). Doesn't look bad at all. How long have you had it, and has it held up pretty well? Did they have an adapter or did you source that elsewhere?
Old 07-16-2016, 03:27 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

For OEM wheels, I have grown to prefer the 4-spoke sport wheel, which is 14" in diameter. If you can find one from a 1979 Sebring edition car, you don't have to worry about the cover, as it is made of a nice "squishy" rubberized plastic sort of material, which stays looking nice and doesn't have the wear issues of leather wrapped wheels.

Here's a pic of my 79 Sebring with it's original wheel:

Some of the 951s had a version of this wheel with an extended hub, which is really nice for guys that are taller, or in certain race configurations.

I now run this style of wheel in my 937, 941, 924S SE, Sebring, and Weissach cars. I also plan to put one in the 78 LE and Martini cars.

For aftermarket, I am partial to the Momo wheels. Here's a pic of the Mod.80 Evo wheel in the Club Sport:

This wheel is wrapped in Alcantara (to match the Classic 9 Leathershop alcantara dash!), and is 350mm in diameter.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:18 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

FWIW the Porsche wheel with with the leather removed is just plain black rubber, feels fine in the hand and doesn't look too bad. I put a junked Porsche 4 spoke wheel with the leather removed in the wife's 88 VW Cabriolet to replace her sun damaged wheel. The Porsche logo on the horn pad always gets second looks You might try pulling the leather off and cleaning up your wheel with mineral spirits or stronger acetone (lacquer thinner) used carefully if needed. Used wheels with good leather pop up now and then. I re-stitched one once myself after viewing a YOUTUBE video and know of one gentleman on another board who was recovering them at reasonable cost.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:52 PM
Funn944
Pro

I've had it in the car for 14 years. It's in as good shape now as when I put it in. It's very comfortable in my hands, a touch smaller diameter than the original. Yes, they had the install kit here as well. At that time they also had a black with red trim and stitching. I think the wheel was about $50. And I can get the instrument cluster out without having to remove the wheel. The horn button in the center was clear so I embedded a small Porsche crest inside it. None of the stitching has pulled or come loose
Old 07-16-2016, 11:32 PM
Peter Corrigan
8th Gear

Originally Posted by MistaX
+1 for a Momo, I love the Prototipo.

Smaller in diameter than a stock wheel.
Definitely goes with the stock interior of the 944. My wheel is currently the original however a piece of it I have to tape up because it cracked. I occasionally hurt my hand on the broken piece sticking out when Im turning into a spot (no power steering problems haha). I will definitely be getting a new wheel. How was the installation? Difficult?
Old 07-16-2016, 11:37 PM
eurojulien
Advanced

My favorite wheel for the 944 is the Momo competition... but they don't offer it in 330mm so I went Mod 78 with a matching shift boot:
Name:  122A8EF0-7A8F-4841-95E1-DD2A8655C761_zps8mbu0rsx.jpg
Views: 1127
Size:  130.9 KB
Old 07-16-2016, 11:43 PM
MistaX
Instructor

Originally Posted by Peter Corrigan
Definitely goes with the stock interior of the 944. My wheel is currently the original however a piece of it I have to tape up because it cracked. I occasionally hurt my hand on the broken piece sticking out when Im turning into a spot (no power steering problems haha). I will definitely be getting a new wheel. How was the installation? Difficult?
Probably one of the easiest things to do on the car. One nut holds the old wheel on. Same nut holds the new hub on, and 6 visible allen screws hold the wheel on the hub. Wiring for the horn button is easy too. One wire.

"Hardest" part is getting the wheel alignment right, which took a couple drives around the block. Once it's dead on, mark the nut & hub with a paint mark and it's a non-issue if you take the wheel off in the future for maintenance and whatnot.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:52 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the momo Race, competition, and mod 78 in that order for my top 3. Smaller is better imho, the factory wheel is a bit too big. I'll be putting a momo Race in my 951 eventually.

Funn944, what kind of shifter is that? I've been looking for a short little stubby shifter for a while and I experimented with a cut down factory lever for a while, but the car it was in has been down for some time.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:02 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Another Momo vote

Old 07-17-2016, 02:36 PM
Funn944
Pro

It's a stock shifter lever, just cut down for length, and the adapter to make the lever round instead of flat. I also have the short shift kit on the trans. This combo makes for a very short crisp throw (especially if you do the mod to fix the worn pin), but it is a bit harder to get it into reverse. I intend to do the thrust bearing mod on the sides of the rod going back to the tranny.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel recommendations?