Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 03:16 PM
nihil
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Steering wheel recommendations?

Didn't find much in a search. My stock steering wheel is pretty well done for. Even with a cover on it, when the outside temps are hot it leeches black tarlike goop all over my fingers.

I'm not looking for a stock replacement since they're all going to be of a similar vintage and prone to similar age related issues. I'm also not looking for anything fancy:

- Simple, not blingy
- Needs horn button, street driven
- Thick rimmed (I have large hands)
- Basic black leather/suede/alcantara(/foam composite maybe?) cover.
- Stock'ish diameter
- Stock'ish longitudinal position.
- Flat bottom would be nice as I'm rather tall.

Solid mount vs. quick release doesn't matter if one or the other meets the criteria above.

Your thoughts?
Old 07-12-2016, 04:03 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I suggest going to the Momo website and seeing the variety, fit and quality of their wheels. I've had 2 and love them both. They also come with squared-off bottoms.
Attached Images   
Old 07-12-2016, 04:20 PM
nihil
Instructor

I did browse their site, and I have liked every Momo wheel I've had my hands on, but they do lack info about adapters and spacing.

If I'm not mistaken a stock wheel is 365mm in diameter no? Something like the RET36BK2S would be ideal if it had a flat bottom. Not a major deal breaker, as I'd rather bang my knees than stare at a blingy boy-racer looking wheel every time I get in the car, but I'm open to other makes if they have a simple center with flat bottom.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:36 PM
MistaX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for a Momo, I love the Prototipo.
Name:  0wEaKtv.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  205.8 KB

Smaller in diameter than a stock wheel.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:26 PM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
I suggest going to the Momo website and seeing the variety, fit and quality of their wheels. I've had 2 and love them both. They also come with squared-off bottoms.
I have a Momo wheel very similar to your second picture in my 944, I am very pleased with it. I kind of wish I could get it in a little larger diameter as I have manual steering, but it's not too bad as is.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:27 PM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MistaX
+1 for a Momo, I love the Prototipo.

Smaller in diameter than a stock wheel.
I think the Prototipo is hands-down the best looking wheel for the early square dash interior. Very nice!
Old 07-12-2016, 09:01 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I love the original stock wheels from Porsche and they ARE available from time to time, sometimes rather cheaply. My preference for the 4 spoke Sport Wheel from Porsche is at the top.

Second is the 3 spoke wheel with raised hub.

If aftermarket, I simply LOVE the above pictured Prototipo and have driven sports cars with them in. I will say they are not quite as solid feeling as those from Porsche, but MOMO is at the top of their game and have avid followers world wide. These wheels can be VERY expensive if they are one of the special editions or have a known image surrounding a particular model such as McQueen and the 917.

Best wishes with your decisions. As with all things regarding our cars, taste and aesthetic appeal is so subjective and individual. Do what your heart leads you and your checkbook allows.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:56 PM
nihil
Instructor

I think I'll have to do without a flat bottom. The only appealing one that lines up is the Model88, but it's not properly round and I think that would annoy me:

The Prototipo is just classic. It's really difficult to find something not to like about it:

However the Model78(suede) and MonteCarlo(leather) are both solid lookers with the same layout and may go better with the later interior in my `87:

I think at the moment the MonteCarlo is at the top of the list. All four of them are available in 350mm, so relatively close to stock.

While searching I found that some folks complained about aftermarket steering wheels being set back too close to the washer stalk. Have any of you experienced this with your Momo?
Old 07-12-2016, 11:01 PM
rlets
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have the Momo Monte Carlo.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:04 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought a wheel from Renown USA.

The quality is fantastic for the money and you can get a Porsche logo horn button if you want. You also have your choice of leather (regular, suede, perforated). I almost went with perforated but chose suede instead due to my car being a track car. Mounts using the MOMO hub adapter.

I would definitely buy another one from them if I had another car that needed a new steering wheel. Plus it's good to support small businesses

Check them out:
http://www.renownusa.com/
Old 07-12-2016, 11:41 PM
nihil
Instructor

Originally Posted by rlets
I have the Momo Monte Carlo
That might have been the tipping point. Looks good and nice open view of the gauge cluster.

Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese
I bought a wheel from Renown USA.

The quality is fantastic for the money and you can get a Porsche logo horn button if you want. You also have your choice of leather (regular, suede, perforated). I almost went with perforated but chose suede instead due to my car being a track car. Mounts using the MOMO hub adapter.

I would definitely buy another one from them if I had another car that needed a new steering wheel. Plus it's good to support small businesses

Check them out:
http://www.renownusa.com/
Player 2 has entered the game... Never heard of them, but I'll give their stuff a look. How long have you had yours? How has it held up in that time?
Old 07-13-2016, 12:00 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I nearly forgot about the Prototipo I had in a '63 Ford 289 HP that was pretty much more race car than street. It was a stick on the floor so none of the shifting gave a problem on the steering stalk. It just kept banging my knuckles against the steel dash top.

It did sit very far back against the gauges in that particular car and I had several adapters I changed out before it got to a comfortable position.

I think there are a lot of trial and error fitments no matter what kind of car you buy an aftermarket wheel for; it's just the nature of the beast
Old 07-13-2016, 12:05 AM
lfisher
Advanced

Really like my Momo wheel. The car came with a factory leather extended hub wheel, but am trying to keep it like new and using the Momo in it's place.
(pardon the mess, am installing a couple tweeters behind the center speaker grill)

/Users/ltfisher/Desktop/untitled folder/1IMG_3323.JPG

Using a hub extension on the Momo as well. Gives lots of knee room and places the wheel in a more comfortable position for me. The factory extended hub spoiled me. I really like it.

/Users/ltfisher/Desktop/untitled folder/2IMG_3317.JPG
/Users/ltfisher/Desktop/untitled folder/3IMG_3321.JPG
/Users/ltfisher/Desktop/untitled folder/4IMG_3322.JPG

Last edited by lfisher; 07-13-2016 at 12:08 AM. Reason: no pictures posted
Old 07-13-2016, 12:13 AM
lfisher
Advanced

Let me try this again: Here is my Momo.<br/>

Side views to show the extended hub

Old 07-13-2016, 07:33 AM
MistaX
Instructor

I bet this would look pretty sweet in a 85.5+

Can't find any pics of one in a 944, but there's this:

Close enough.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel recommendations?