Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

resetting idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 06:26 PM
jbob
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default resetting idle

so I finally got my fuel line job done and the car is running.

now just trying to get my head around getting the idle back to normal.

i have been tweaking the tension on the throttle cable, but it behaves kind of funny. the car stumbles around 1k - havent really been able to get it to stay there. mostly it either stalls lower than 1k (to be expected) or when i got it as close to 1k as possible it turns on, hits 1k, and then pretty soon after wants to rev to about 2k.

is this all done via the cable or is there a chance my ICV is funky? I believe the hoses to the ICV are in the right ends (what would happen if that were backwards?)

I think all my vacuum tubes are right, but not 100% sure. trying to get a game plan on troubleshooting this. maybe its just all in the cable for starters.

thanks
Old 07-21-2016, 06:36 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

http://members.rennlist.org/jerseyshore944/F_IDLE.doc

This may take you there
Old 07-21-2016, 06:41 PM
jbob
Racer

ok - so also remembered that I did the basic arnworx seal kit for the throttle body and may not have gotten the idle adjust screw back into original position. for starters should i make that tighter or looser?
Old 07-21-2016, 07:10 PM
joes
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's not an idle screw that is the throttle plate stop. there isn't an idle adjustment there is a mixture adjustment on the air flow meter.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:31 PM
jbob
Racer

cool thanks guys - i think i am at least in tolerable territory. the car hangs out between 9 and 1k now, thanks you you and

outside of this, is there any reason my brakes would be suuper stiff, almost unusable, after the car as sat for 2months? any tricks for getting them back to their normal state?
Old 07-21-2016, 07:38 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

Does the brake pedal go down at all? If it feels like you're putting your foot on a concrete wall, it may be the booster. Check for vac leaks feeding the booster and also with the little plastic vacuum reservoir over by the battery. Might be the vacuum check valve or the booster itself may have failed. Or, just MAYBE you got lucky and a line fell off ...
Old 07-21-2016, 09:07 PM
jbob
Racer

yeah it feels almost like a concrete wall. i checked the vacuum hoses again. brake pedal just super stiff and not hydraulic feeling.

as for the idle, now that its cooled slightly it dies when i start it unless i goose the gas. I got it to a seemingly good place while it was warm, with the stopper screw and then loosened the screw on the mixture adjuster screw on throttle. now it stutters when it should idle and smells a little rich. would that mean tightening or loosening that throttle screw? my rpm idle seemed really nice an hour ago when i was tinkering while the thing was warm.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:10 AM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you have a vacuum leak somewhere. Are your vacuum lines original? At this point they've been baking in a hot engine bay for 30 years, leaks are to be expected.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:45 PM
jbob
Racer

yeah OEM looking vacuum hoses. the bigger hoses, venturi etc, are definitely old and gross looking/ i have toyed with the idea of buying one of the spendy silicon vacuum hose line kits on ebay or elsewhere. any recos? (this is a NA car btw. 924S)

if was going to just try to get my brakes working again in the short term, are there certain vacuum hoses i should be looking most closely at? probably not the skinny ones that go to the fuel rail? more the beefy ones?
Old 07-22-2016, 03:54 PM
jbob
Racer

yup! the line to the brake booster was completely unplugged at the venturi. thanks so much guys. REALLY sorry for what seem like idiotic rookie questions. it may seem ugly but I swear I am learning. the car is driving and the idle is a tiny bit rough but pretty decent. thrilled to have gotten through this and have nice clean new fuel lines, fuel strainer, clean injectors and have learned a bunch. now I am starting to debate over doing the silicon vacuum lines next time I feel like taking things apart again.

thanks again for suggesting fuel lines and for all the folks who helped talk me through this. big thanks!

Quick Reply: resetting idle