Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What spacers to use on my 944?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 04:33 PM
fristajlo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What spacers to use on my 944?

Hi guys!
New here on this great forum! Been lurking for some time before I finally bought my own 944 85.5 N/A. It's a bit of a project, but it was priced accordingly
I'm planning to replace the origina wheels for a bit bigger ones. As I'm new to Porsche and to spacers generally, I thought I could ask for some pointers here. I've used the search function but didn't find what I'm looking for. I have the early offset, 23, and I've found a set of Azev wheels that would look great on my car. The fronts are 8x17" 225/45 and the rear ones are 9,5x17" 255/40. Offset is 50 on both. How should I think when choosing spacers for this setup? I have a very hard time figuring this out with regards to any clearance issues because of the wider tires. But I would like to have the wheels a bit further out than the originals too. I'm guessing the best way is to buy the wheels in question and try them on, but the car is stored quite far away from where I live.
Any tips and suggestions are more than welcome!
Old 08-26-2016, 09:44 PM
bumflick
Racer

Default Spacers

I just went through this on my 86 951.

short answer, 3/4 inch on the rear. I converted my front hubs to late offset, so can't help there.

I'm running 275/40-17, so a bit wider than you. No rubbing inside or outside. And from a look, or 'stance' perspective, they could be pushed out another 3mm closer to the fender and still not rub, but I'm fine with the look as is.

Note: you may need longer wheel studs in order for wheel and spacer to bolt up. I did. Van has a cool video of how to swap the studs.

Malcolm
Old 08-27-2016, 03:43 AM
924srr27l
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fristajlo
Hi guys!
New here on this great forum! Been lurking for some time before I finally bought my own 944 85.5 N/A. It's a bit of a project, but it was priced accordingly
I'm planning to replace the origina wheels for a bit bigger ones. As I'm new to Porsche and to spacers generally, I thought I could ask for some pointers here. I've used the search function but didn't find what I'm looking for. I have the early offset, 23, and I've found a set of Azev wheels that would look great on my car. The fronts are 8x17" 225/45 and the rear ones are 9,5x17" 255/40. Offset is 50 on both. How should I think when choosing spacers for this setup? I have a very hard time figuring this out with regards to any clearance issues because of the wider tires. But I would like to have the wheels a bit further out than the originals too. I'm guessing the best way is to buy the wheels in question and try them on, but the car is stored quite far away from where I live.
Any tips and suggestions are more than welcome!

Hi, what wheels are on the car now .......

Cookie Cutters 7x15 Et23 ?

R
Old 08-27-2016, 04:58 AM
fristajlo
Advanced

Bumflick, thanks! Great with the first hand experience. That would (roughly) equal 20mm. May I ask what the offset is in the new rear wheels? Yes I'm aware of the bolt issue. I think the old ones need to be replaced anyway as one broke off when removing front wheel...

924ssr, actually the wheels on the car are black Compomotive split rims. 16", 225/something.

Ps. How do I quote when replying?
Old 08-27-2016, 05:56 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fronts:
You can replace the bolts on the fronts with longer ones, machine one rear 21mm spacer to fit the front hubs and use it with your 8" ET50. The result will be a nicer looking wheel fitment.

Rears:
You could go without spacers as the wheels will poke out a very tiny amout more but if you're using 21mm spacers on the fronts better do so on the rears. You have to take care tho as using 9.5" wheels on the rears can be tricky as you're getting closer to the car body.
Do a try out for the rears with tires on and spacers on. If the wheels fit under the body you're lucky and you're going to have a properly stanced 944 if you also do the 21mm spacer on the fronts.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:33 AM
fristajlo
Advanced

Originally Posted by morghen
Fronts:
You can replace the bolts on the fronts with longer ones, machine one rear 21mm spacer to fit the front hubs and use it with your 8" ET50. The result will be a nicer looking wheel fitment.

Rears:
You could go without spacers as the wheels will poke out a very tiny amout more but if you're using 21mm spacers on the fronts better do so on the rears. You have to take care tho as using 9.5" wheels on the rears can be tricky as you're getting closer to the car body.
Do a try out for the rears with tires on and spacers on. If the wheels fit under the body you're lucky and you're going to have a properly stanced 944 if you also do the 21mm spacer on the fronts.
Thanks Morghen, about as clarifying as it can be! At the rear, would I need spacers that bolts on to the existing bolts? I know it's no big deal to replace bolts for longer in the front, unsure about rear. I could use the front spacer just to test out the rear fitment as you say.
And its 20mm per wheel, right? Many companies in Germany sells spacers measured per axle, can be confusing
Old 08-27-2016, 08:28 AM
fristajlo
Advanced

This is how the wheels look on the current owners car. He has the later offset on his car. Does it look great or does it look great
Old 08-30-2016, 04:13 AM
Ish_944
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I also have an early car with
front: 8x16" ET 23 with 23mm spacer (per side)
rear: 9x16" ET 11 with no spacer

The rears sit close to the body on the outside. So to have the same placement you'd need a ~30mm spacer there I reckon. And freakin long studs...
Old 08-30-2016, 04:55 AM
fristajlo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ish_944
I also have an early car with
front: 8x16" ET 23 with 23mm spacer (per side)
rear: 9x16" ET 11 with no spacer

The rears sit close to the body on the outside. So to have the same placement you'd need a ~30mm spacer there I reckon. And freakin long studs...
Thanks! My plan is to get spacers for the front, will try the wheels on at the back to see if needed. Or if they fit altogether... I really hope they do fit because I have bought the wheels now.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:54 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have a set of early spacers on ebay right now- factory 85 rear hubcentric i believe they are 21mm

Quick Reply: What spacers to use on my 944?