Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a wire missing here?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 02:13 PM
Schmooey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is a wire missing here?

Hey friends,
I am trying to fix the driver door switch so the dome light comes on when the door is open. The passenger door operates correctly, so I'm looking at this switch. My question is if I am missing a wire here - I see only one wire on the passenger door switch, but this drivers door switch sure seems like it is missing a second wire.

If so, then I have to find a way to find it - it certainly could have dropped into the hole where the switch sits. Not sure how to fish it out, but I may have to remove the carpet in the foot well... but first things first. Thanks!
John
Old 11-07-2016, 08:07 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

See if it's easier to find the wire where it originates: where the other one is. They both are part of the same cable. It's possible it's just above the hole. A dental mirror and flashlight may work as it may fit inside the hole.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:14 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Yes, you're missing a wire. The driver and passenger switches make one circuit. So one switch has two wires, the other only one. The joys of switched ground circuits. I'll get used to them one day.

When I rebuilt my switches, I was scared to death I was going to lose one back inside the body, and looking at it, as you've seen, it's not an easy area to get to. If you have one of those magnets on a sticks, I'd try that. And fishing with something if that doesn't work.

I think I used a pair of channel locks to hold the wires on the outside while I worked on the switch. Mine wanted to slowly pull back into the hole. So if you DO find the other one, I'd suggest having a plan handy to keep them from creeping back into the hole.

Those switches, and in fact MOST of my switches, I was able to fix with some electronics cleaner and sand paper. None of mine were terrible but with these switches it just takes a light coating of corrosion to stop making contact. I think I have a rebuild thread on here, if you're interested. If not here then on another 944 forum. I'll send it to you if you want. I have one on the window switches too. And the heater resistor coils. Can't remember if I wrote others yet... LOL I've rebuilt a lot of switches on my P car...
Old 11-08-2016, 11:12 AM
Schmooey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah, well, I was worried that there was a missing wire somewhere in there. Interestingly, i used contact cleaner and sandpaper as well, and when I put it all back in, I suddenly heard the door chime when I opened the door! (I didn't even know there should be one in my car - I guess that one wire is for that.) So I got a little victory in this so far. I will try to fish the other wire out, but I may also remove the carpet on the left side drivers footwell if i can't. Not sure if this will help, but we'll see...thanks,
Old 11-08-2016, 08:38 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmmmm... I'd love to kill my chime

I can't swear to it, but I recall that pair of wires drops down from above the kick panel into the cavity.

Quick Reply: Is a wire missing here?