Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 OBD Project (On-Board Diagnostics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2023, 07:09 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 369 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by riouxc
Latest beta 1.0.345
I found the issue, I just pushed FocusOBD v1.0.346 to the website, that should fix it.

-Joe
Old 11-03-2023, 12:07 AM
zoom944T
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Joe, wondering what injectors you are running? Did you install the injectors in the LR kit?
thanks.
Old 11-03-2023, 12:11 AM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by zoom944T
Joe, wondering what injectors you are running? Did you install the injectors in the LR kit?
thanks.
Yes absolutely, you must use the 80lbs injectors provided in the kit. The factory injectors have a radically lower flow rate and therefore will not work with the LR MAF program. You also must install a 3bar fuel pressure regulator, or the flow rate will be lower than expected.

-Joe

Last edited by Ftech9; 11-03-2023 at 12:15 AM.
Old 11-03-2023, 09:46 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for all your hard work.

forward to finally getting my car on the road.
Old 11-03-2023, 09:47 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Default Fuel Pressure Support

Hi Everyone,

I just pushed FocusOBD v1.1.348 to the website, it now supports Autex 100psi sensors for fuel pressure measurement.

To make this work the way I did it, you will need to purchase an Autex 100psi sensor and have BAT make you a custom remote line that taps the factory pressure test port. Below are links and a picture of what these items look like:

Autex 100 PSI Pressure Transducer:
Amazon.com: AUTEX Pressure Transducer Sensor 100 Psi Pressure Sender 316 Stainless Steel Oil Pressure Transmitter 1/8" -27 NPT For Oil Fuel Air Water Pressure : Automotive Amazon.com: AUTEX Pressure Transducer Sensor 100 Psi Pressure Sender 316 Stainless Steel Oil Pressure Transmitter 1/8" -27 NPT For Oil Fuel Air Water Pressure : Automotive

BAT custom 944 Fuel Test Port to 1/8" -27 adapter
www.batinc.net

Next, a three-wire harness will need to be fabricated to connect the pigtail included with the Autex sensor to the OBD+ modules "AUX" port. I will add a pigtail connector for the OBD+ "AUX" connection to the website early next week. I am still working on a "clean" installation method, however, pictured below is a quick and dirty installation on my 1985.5 944 NA, the turbo 944 will be similar:

The only thing left to do is download the latest FocusOBD software and enable the Autex Fuel pressure sender in the "Settings" tab. You can also change the pressure units to PSI, BAR or Pa. Like nearly all engine parameters, you can display, graph and data log fuel pressure in real time!

Enjoy!

-Joe

Last edited by Ftech9; 11-03-2023 at 10:09 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Ftech9:
fejjj (11-03-2023), J1NX3D (11-04-2023), Jacob AbuKhader (11-03-2023), riouxc (11-04-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 09:32 PM
Autobreza
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

@FTech9
Going slightly off topic, as we haven't heard from FTech9 on the progress of the MAF for 944 NA for quite some months.

What's the latest?
Old 11-07-2023, 06:08 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Autobreza
@FTech9
Going slightly off topic, as we haven't heard from FTech9 on the progress of the MAF for 944 NA for quite some months.

What's the latest?
We are now in full Beta testing for our 944 NA MAF kit based on the OBD+ Sport DME. I am currently recuring Beta testers, once testing is complete, I will make the kit generally available.

- Joe
The following users liked this post:
DiegoR (11-09-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 11:29 AM
PorscheFanatic202
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default FTD2XX.DLL issue

Issue: Installed the latest BETA version (1.1.348). I get this error when loading.

"Attempting to load FTD2XX.DLL from: C:\Program Files (x86)\Focus 9 Technology, LLC"
followed by
"Failed to load FTD2XX.DLL. Are the FTDI drivers installed?"

Troubleshooting: Tried installing the drivers from the settings page with no success. Ran program as Admin.

System: Windows 11 (23H2), .NET Framework 4.8 installed (couldn't reinstall as it doesn't seem possible)
Old 11-08-2023, 12:19 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by PorscheFanatic202
Issue: Installed the latest BETA version (1.1.348). I get this error when loading.

"Attempting to load FTD2XX.DLL from: C:\Program Files (x86)\Focus 9 Technology, LLC"
followed by
"Failed to load FTD2XX.DLL. Are the FTDI drivers installed?"

Troubleshooting: Tried installing the drivers from the settings page with no success. Ran program as Admin.

System: Windows 11 (23H2), .NET Framework 4.8 installed (couldn't reinstall as it doesn't seem possible)
Hello,

The "Failed to load FTD2XX.DLL" occurs because Windows has not loaded/installed the drivers for the OBD+ module. It is important to understand that the FocusOBD installer only copies the OBD+ driver to the Windows driver repository. When Windows detects the OBD+ Module has been connected via USB, it looks to see if the driver is in its repository and if so, installs the device driver automatically.

Below is the best procedure for setting up the OBD+ system for first use:

1. Do not connect the OBD+ Module to the PC.
2. Download and install the FocusOBD software
--a) Install the FTDI drivers (to the Windows driver repository) when prompted.
--b) If you choose to run the FocusOBD software after installation, the error "Failed to load FTD2XX.DLL" may occur and is expected.
3. Close the FocusOBD Software
4 Connect the USB cable to the PC and OBD+ Sport DME
--a) Allow Windows a minute to install the USB drivers from the repository.
5. Open the FocusOBD software.

Sometimes Windows gets jammed up if the FocusOBD software is trying to communicate with the OBD+ module while Windows is installing the driver. This is the reason for closing the FocusOBD software after installation. If this occurs, try reloading the OBD firmware from "i" Info tab. This clears the logjam by putting the USB interface chip in a different mode for the firmware update, then back to normal when complete.

For the .NET 4.8 installation issue, does the FocusOBD software still run, or do you get an error message?

Regards,

Joe

Last edited by Ftech9; 11-08-2023 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-08-2023, 03:26 PM
Autobreza
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Ftech9
We are now in full Beta testing for our 944 NA MAF kit based on the OBD+ Sport DME. I am currently recuring Beta testers, once testing is complete, I will make the kit generally available.

- Joe
Thanks for the update.

I can be a beta tester if needed. Located in Irvine.
1985.2 944 NA
Old 11-08-2023, 06:28 PM
PorscheFanatic202
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

The software runs just fine and I can navigate around. I was assuming the DLL error I got was related to .NET 4.8

So after installation, I need to connect the OBD module to windows and let it install drivers first to clear this error. Is this correct?
Old 11-09-2023, 11:09 AM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Out of curiosity, is needed the fuel rail pressure sensing for the MAF/Software kit you are developing? It just logs the fuel pressure or it does actually read/log and apply small changes of fueling due the fuel pressure vary? Just wanted to check the benefits.

Hope the kit develops well sorted out to buy it once is available for my 951!

Hi Everyone,

I just pushed FocusOBD v1.1.348 to the website, it now supports Autex 100psi sensors for fuel pressure measurement.

To make this work the way I did it, you will need to purchase an Autex 100psi sensor and have BAT make you a custom remote line that taps the factory pressure test port. Below are links and a picture of what these items look like:

Autex 100 PSI Pressure Transducer:
Amazon.com: AUTEX Pressure Transducer Sensor 100 Psi Pressure Sender 316 Stainless Steel Oil Pressure Transmitter 1/8" -27 NPT For Oil Fuel Air Water Pressure : Automotive

BAT custom 944 Fuel Test Port to 1/8" -27 adapter
www.batinc.net

Next, a three-wire harness will need to be fabricated to connect the pigtail included with the Autex sensor to the OBD+ modules "AUX" port. I will add a pigtail connector for the OBD+ "AUX" connection to the website early next week. I am still working on a "clean" installation method, however, pictured below is a quick and dirty installation on my 1985.5 944 NA, the turbo 944 will be similar:

The only thing left to do is download the latest FocusOBD software and enable the Autex Fuel pressure sender in the "Settings" tab. You can also change the pressure units to PSI, BAR or Pa. Like nearly all engine parameters, you can display, graph and data log fuel pressure in real time!

Enjoy!

-Joe
Old 11-10-2023, 12:11 AM
toomanylemons1
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

- Joe
Hey Joe,

I’m interested in being a beta tester. I have an 85.5 n/a, located in Huntington Beach.
Old 11-10-2023, 06:52 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by DiegoR
Out of curiosity, is needed the fuel rail pressure sensing for the MAF/Software kit you are developing? It just logs the fuel pressure, or it does actually read/log and apply small changes of fueling due the fuel pressure vary? Just wanted to check the benefits.

Hope the kit develops well sorted out to buy it once is available for my 951!
Support for fuel pressure sender is for diagnostic purposes only, it does not alter engine management in any way.

-Joe
DiegoR (11-13-2023)
Old 11-10-2023, 08:18 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Default Update on Fuel Pressure Sender Support

Hi Everyone,

In adding support to read out fuel pressure, I discovered my "new" URO brand 2.5 BAR FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) was actually defective. If you have been following my Instagram page, a while back I discovered my original FPR had a bad diaphragm and was leaking raw fuel into the intake manifold. This obviously caused a rich running condition and was easy to diagnose by graphing the NOB2 analog and digital sensors. Originally, I wanted to replace it with an OEM Bosch FPR, but they are now NLA. My next choice was a Delphi unit, however I was not a fan of the silver plating. So, against my better judgement, I went with a URO brand FPR for no other reason than the yellow chromate so it would look like the factory unit.

After installing the URO FPR, everything seemed reasonable, I was getting a nice NBO2 oscillation indicting the DME was able to regulate proper AFR (Air to Fuel Ratio) and the engine was running reasonably well. However, in reality, my new URO FPR was regulating well below where it should be. At idle, I was reading 1.71 BAR (24.8 PSI) and 2.2 BAR (31.90 PSI) at moderate to full engine load. At first, I suspected something was wrong with my fuel pressure sender setup, so I installed the NOS (New Old Stock) Bosch 3 BAR FPR off my 1986 944 Turbo. The Bosch 3 BAR FPR measured 2.49 BAR (36.1 PSI) at idle and 3.51 BAR (50.9 PSI) at moderate to full engine load. This seemed perfectly reasonable to me, so I concluded the fuel pressure measurement was correct. I then pick up the 2.5 BAR Delphi FPR I should have ordered to begin with, and sure enough, the pressure was as expected. At idle, I measured 2.0 BAR (29 PSI) and at moderate to full load I got 2.52 BAR (36.54 PSI). This is in line with the 3 BAR Bosch FPR where there was also a ~0.5 BAR difference between idle and full load pressure.

For reference, I read through the Clarks Garage fuel pressure test procedure for a baseline evaluation. The only difference is he recommends jumping the fuel pump relay for the full pressure test. Doing this was not necessary on my 944 because, with the Pump-Prime Solid-State DME relay, all I needed to do was cycle the ignition on and off until I was confidant the no-load peak regulated pressure was correct. If you get the full 2.5BAR (fuel pump running, engine not running), then you can be reasonably sure the FPR is doing its job. However, while driving, if the fuel pressure drops below 2.0 to 2.5 BAR (Idel to Full-Load), then you likely have a bad fuel pump. Or if you have a highly modified engine that requires larger injectors, it could also be the stock fuel pump and/or fuel lines can't keep up with the fuel demand.

This whole experience is a testament to the value of the NBO2 sensor. Even with significantly reduced fuel pressure, the DME was able maintain proper fuel mixture; I even passed Arizona tailpipe emissions with flying colors! Proper fuel mixture is critical to the long-term health of your engine, and the NBO2 sensor is your best defense when things start going wrong. Porsche recommends changing the NBO2 sensor every 30k miles. Past this point, the NBO2 sensor start losing its calibration and feeds bad data to the DME.

Below are some related links:

Clarks Garage (Fuel Pressure Checking):
Fuel Pressure - Checking (clarks-garage.com)

A video of the FocusOBD software graphing NBO2 analog and digital signals during a normal warmup cycle:

Video of raw fuel leaking out the vacuum port on my 1985.5 944 NA:
View this post on Instagram

Regards,

Joe Baumbach

Last edited by Ftech9; 11-10-2023 at 09:32 PM.
Tiger03447 (11-11-2023)

Quick Reply: 944 OBD Project (On-Board Diagnostics)