Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting Hatch Trim - Rubber Black on Chrome?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 01:17 PM
Benzor
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Painting Hatch Trim - Rubber Black on Chrome?

Wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to paint the hatch trim?

Mine is peeling, and looks previous owners took a try at it and failed.

It looks to be chrome or shiny smooth plastic underneath. The rubber coating comes off in chunks, but I don't really want to try to peel it all off.

Usually the recipe for painting is to rough up the surface, but doesn't look like that was done to the chrome.

Any suggestions?
Attached Images   
Old 12-18-2016, 01:32 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

could try plasti-dip...it will stick to most anything.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:26 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I did a rubber spoiler in plastidip once, it came out way better than I expected. But I think the metal trim is supposed to look like satin paint. To get the paint to stick, you need to prime it. Use a bare metal primer, or at least an etch.

Or sand it first...
Old 12-21-2016, 01:51 AM
hwyrnr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the window frame and convertible trim on a Fox body Mustang before. I sanded it down to the bare metal and primed it and painted it with rattle can from Sherwin Williams and then did a final coat with a satin trim paint from Autozone. It looked really good and close to factory. It held up really well. I did keep the car in the garage and always hand washed it.

James
Old 12-21-2016, 05:07 AM
KVDR
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

You need 'etching primer' to paint the bare aluminum, else you will not get the black paint to adhere properly.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:13 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KVDR
You need 'etching primer' to paint the bare aluminum, else you will not get the black paint to adhere properly.
I had to paint the window frames on my house, which has '80's aluminum windows. I dreaded doing it because I figured they needed to be etched, or use an etching primer. I went to Sherwin-Williams and bought "All-Surface Enamel". Scrubbed the frames with ScotchBrite to clean and remove rotten paint, and used this enamel directly. It sticks amazingly well with no primer or etching. Two weeks after applying I had the house stucco'd and they taped to the painted frames, then pulled the tape without any concern for the paint. It only pulled the paint in one area, and it appeared to be because I didn't get all the old paint off.

Quick Reply: Painting Hatch Trim - Rubber Black on Chrome?