Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on 924S Purchase: fix or part out?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 02:07 PM
JonT
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW way back when I had a nearly-new 1988 924S in for some other service they came back out in like 5 minutes and said my oil cooler failed and was allowing oil/coolant mixing. Obviously they knew to look for that issue (still under warranty) so it must have been common.
Jon (yeah I'm old enough to have bought one new)
Old 07-18-2017, 01:38 PM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This weekend, I installed the oil cooler housing with a brand new cooler , gaskets etc. My OPRV turned out to have come apart when taking it out. So, it was, in fact, the updated version and not the old one that I thought previously.

I also bolted down the head. After backing out the studs to the correct height, they are no longer recessed a couple threads down inside the nuts but now peep out above them like they are supposed to.

I am waiting to put the cam cover assembly on until the new motor mount I ordered comes in and I put that on. It seems like the mount will be easier to put on without the cam cover installed (more room). Same for the exhaust manifolds.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:30 AM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

Well, I bolted everything up, installed timing & balance shaft belts , charged battery, etc. I tried for several minutes to start the car and was starting to feel discouraged. Then, after about 30 minutes, it finally started but would not idle . So, I kept it running with my foot on the gas. I noticed LOTS of blue and white smoke smoke for the first couple of minutes then none really. Perhaps some black if I revved it a little. I noticed a hole in the lower hose of the coolant expansion tank where it rubbed the alternator. So, that leaked a little. Anyway, ran the engine a total of about 6 minutes and then shut it off.

I started getting smoke inside the console and dash area. At first, I thought it was from oil on the outside of the engine seeping through but it had a faint "electrical" smell to it. So, there could be damage from a prior battery box leak or something.

Anyway, drained the oil and I got lots of "*** Water" coming out. Alas, I think the problem has NOT been solved from changing the head gasket and oil cooler gasket. I don't think there could have been enough water left in the engine passages to water the oil down like it did. I may put dye in the coolant and new oil in and try once more to verify but I'm not holding my breath.

In hindsight, I maybe should have sent the head out to get magnafluxed. (can you do that with an aluminum head?) I checked to see if the head was warped and the PO shaved it down but may not have checked for cracks. There were none visible to the naked eye but maybe once the engine heats up the crack gets bigger. Still , for so much coolant to get transferred to the oil in only 5 minutes or so of engine running makes me thing there would be something more obvious.

This ordeal took me 30 hours total. 16 hours to tear down and 14 hours to reinstall, not counting research on how to do this. As bummed as I feel about the car, I do feel good about having tried. This was my first attempt at a head gasket and timing belt. So, it was a GREAT learning experience for me that took away much of the fear of working on a 944. There is value in that for me. That is a partial victory in my book.

Of course, I am still stuck with a sick car. No I need to decide if I want to play around with this thing and maybe get the head checked for cracks , sell the car locally, or part it.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:33 PM
Squid924
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear that you are looking at the glass as being half-full....most people would be defeated by this experience.

You could strip it back down and send the head out for pressure test or magnaflux, but only do that if you are willing to replace the head or plan on parting. Most people don't want to buy a complete car that comes in buckets of parts. It's a bit more difficult to put a car back together that someone else took apart.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:52 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd951968
Anyway, drained the oil and I got lots of "*** Water" coming out.

that's what happens when you fill the radiator with Mexican tap water.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:07 PM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by V2Rocket

that's what happens when you fill the radiator with Mexican tap water.
Ha ha. TRUTH!

Squid924- The glass is definitely half full on this one. I bought a non-running car for a low price so there was little risk. I figured worst case scenario, I cut my teeth learning how to change the head and belts and other stuff with no worries about ruining a running car.

Sure, I am a little money for new parts but I limited my purchases so it won't be too bad. I'm out some gaskets that I can't re-use but still have the belts, tension rollers and a motor mount that I can take back off and keep for later.

I will more than likely be able to recoup some/all of the money I have into the car by selling whole or parting, keep a few parts , and move on to the next project. If so, that 's a full glass.

I would have loved to have been able to save the car, though.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:57 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Squid924
these cars don't carry the value of the 944 bodied equivalent.
why not? they are exactly the same car minus a set of wheel fenders...except the 924S is not as boxy and does not look faster than it actually is like the 944 does....not attacking anyone here but the 944 really looks too fast and its just too slow...and actually the 924S may even be a tiiiiny bit faster than the 944 since its a little bit lighter.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:41 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Why not buy a known good engine for a couple hundred dollars and call it a day?

You could pull this one and play with it on the stand.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:48 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by morghen
why not? they are exactly the same car minus a set of wheel fenders...except the 924S is not as boxy and does not look faster than it actually is like the 944 does....not attacking anyone here but the 944 really looks too fast and its just too slow...and actually the 924S may even be a tiiiiny bit faster than the 944 since its a little bit lighter.
+to infinity and beyond

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder?

"Just as with art, I can't tell you why I like it, I just know that I like it."

And any other cliche I might have missed...
Old 07-26-2017, 09:45 AM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

I bought some dye to put in with straight distilled water as coolant and will try running the engine once more to see if any gets into the oil. Perhaps, the coolant I was seeing in the oil was residual left over from before?

I'm also looking over some video on engine removal for the 944 to see if it is something I'd want to take on. I was going to have to change the rod bearings on this car, anyway. I just didn't want to get into spending a lot of resources on this.

I agree with morghen in that the 924S's appearance is much more in line with its performance capabilities than the 944, who boasts broad shoulders without the muscle to back it up. There really is just "air" in those shoulder pads. ha ha. The Turbo , however brings the muscle to back it up.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:32 AM
Squid924
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by morghen
Morghen - You are preaching to the choir....I have owned my 924S for over 20 years. I am not bashing them when I compare the value to the 944, I am just stating what I see in the US market. The 924S cars tend to stay on the market longer and sell at a lower price than the 944 counterpart.

These cars are great drivers cars, and for a while they were the car to have over here in the PCA stock racing class that was based on Power to weight ratio.

Yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

I like my cars like I like my ladies - Skinny!
Old 07-26-2017, 01:26 PM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

Its funny, ever since I got the 924S last month I dug out all my magazines with 924S articles in them (funny I never paid much attention to those articles before). Many have been saying lately that the 924S is undervalued and "one to buy now".

I was planning on either selling this car after I saved it or perhaps tracking it. The 924S does present more of a challenge in finding easy-fit wheels and TRACK tires vs the 944. The narrow look was growing on me though, much like the early 911's vs the wider Carrera bodied cars. Both look great.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:43 PM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd951968
The narrow look was growing on me though, much like the early 911's vs the wider Carrera bodied cars. Both look great.
Yeap, its an aquired taste and they both look great...i've fallen in love with my 931 aldough i own a GTS + 951 wide bodied 924 turbo.

Originally Posted by Squid924
The 924S cars tend to stay on the market longer and sell at a lower price than the 944 counterpart.
Simply because you guys price your 924s and 944s so low that nobody takes them seriously...just youngsters that prefer a more aggressive look to a more elegant slim look.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:53 PM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

Update, I sold the rear wiper delete plug, as I was giving the car "one more chance" by changing the oil and putting dye in the coolant to see what happens. (Maybe) good news! There was no more apparent mixing (not dye in the oil) and the oil looks completely clear of any residual coolant. I guess the coolant I'd been seeing in the oil was residual left over from before. But, not it all looks good. Fingers crossed.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:27 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Yeah Todd!
Keep that baby alive!

Quick Reply: Advice on 924S Purchase: fix or part out?