Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two small issues fixed: Creaking from the front and steering wheel shaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 10:39 AM
Justin S2
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Two small issues fixed: Creaking from the front and steering wheel shaking

I swapped over a manual rack a few years ago into my S2. After doing it, I noticed the steering wheel would shake a lot at highway speeds - I thought this was normal. Well, recently I adjusted my front wheel bearings and I noted that the collar was too tight against the bearing. After making following the shop manual and readjusting, the wheel doesn't shake anymore.

Also, I was getting a clunking/metallic spring noise when I would brake (the noise would occur when the nose would dive) or when I was going over a speedbump. I tried everything, replacing struts, removing the swaybar, double checking the torques on everything, rebuilding the front brake calipers, etc. The culprit was that my rennbay ball joints needed a little bit more grease in them! Simple fix.

I guess sometimes it makes sense to look at the simple/cheap things first! I am posting this to help out the next guy - I couldn't find a lot of information for these two issues when I searched.

Quick Reply: Two small issues fixed: Creaking from the front and steering wheel shaking