924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

924s - do they have removeable plate for rear 6.5" speaker

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 09:22 AM
cmoore
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 924s - do they have removeable plate for rear 6.5" speaker

I have done plenty of searches, but so often what comes back in those searches is 944 info. And that info implies that a lot of the 944's have a 4x6 rear speaker, but have a removeable plate (maybe for the optional 10 speaker system) that would allow install of a 6.5" round speaker. Is this also true of the 924s? I am trying to stay relatively stock, but as 30 yr old speakers just making popping and clicking noise in between occasionally playing music. I know there are a lot of other threads advising to abandon the rears anyway, opting for a trunk sub, and maybe eventually I will go that way, but would like to hear the stereo first as intended. And if I have to remove rear windows to do it, I want to have speakers on hand so that my windowless time is limited, and not waiting for speakers to arrive in 3-4 days shipping. So has anyone actually replaced the rears on a 87/88 924 and observed if this rear plate exists. (and no, I'd rather not cut sheet metal - if i wanted to go that route, I would just plan to put speakers elsewhere)

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-09-2020, 01:53 PM
Holytin
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cmoore
I have done plenty of searches, but so often what comes back in those searches is 944 info. And that info implies that a lot of the 944's have a 4x6 rear speaker, but have a removeable plate (maybe for the optional 10 speaker system) that would allow install of a 6.5" round speaker. Is this also true of the 924s? I am trying to stay relatively stock, but as 30 yr old speakers just making popping and clicking noise in between occasionally playing music. I know there are a lot of other threads advising to abandon the rears anyway, opting for a trunk sub, and maybe eventually I will go that way, but would like to hear the stereo first as intended. And if I have to remove rear windows to do it, I want to have speakers on hand so that my windowless time is limited, and not waiting for speakers to arrive in 3-4 days shipping. So has anyone actually replaced the rears on a 87/88 924 and observed if this rear plate exists. (and no, I'd rather not cut sheet metal - if i wanted to go that route, I would just plan to put speakers elsewhere)

Thanks in advance.
No rear plate what I remember. Installed Polks instead and they sound fairly reasonable. You are correct - need to remove the rear glass to remove the side panels. Wear leather gloves when reinstalling the glass since I broke mine..
Old 10-10-2020, 12:03 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

nope.

924S has same cabin internals as early 944. better stereo was in the 951, S2's and later. use string to reinstall back window- much easier for seal.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:19 PM
cmoore
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thanks, I guess 4x6 it is

Quick Reply: 924s - do they have removeable plate for rear 6.5" speaker