Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

European delivery

Old 02-14-2012, 01:40 PM
FullTwist
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default European delivery

Was planning to order a 991 for Euro delivery in July. Went last night to the USA car configurator to print off my order ready to visit the dealer and the European delivery option has disappeared. It was there on Sunday night for of course I have been over my build many times! Was the $0 cost an error I wonder?
Old 02-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I think at least one other poster doing European delivery checked with PCNA about the cost and the $0 figure was not an error. But you're right, I couldn't find the option listed now on the configurator either. Hopefully your dealer will know what's going on.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

I think they're still futzing with the configurator, so options will come and go. I truly doubt thst ED will remain as a zero cost option for us. It's too easy for Porsche to make a couple of bucks on that to just sign it away. It's not like they can't sell cars.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:47 PM
air-cooled
Track Day

The European Delivery Program is now Free for Porsche customers. Customer charges are limited to only a few small extras,i.e.- Navigation installation on PCM, extended insurance, etc. The Dealership will cover customer costs- ( a flat fee of $2,995.00 will be charged to the dealership per customer). In return the dealership will receive additional allocation in the next allocation period after delivery.
Cross Delivery otion offered at no charge, i.e 991 and 981 customers can take delivery in Leipzig and Cayenne and Panamera delivery in Zuffenhausen.
Two weeks Winter Tire Rental included at no charge October to March.
Details should be coming online on the Porsche Website under Events and Racing Travel Programs
Old 02-14-2012, 03:06 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by air-cooled
The European Delivery Program is now Free for Porsche customers. Customer charges are limited to only a few small extras,i.e.- Navigation installation on PCM, extended insurance, etc. The Dealership will cover customer costs- ( a flat fee of $2,995.00 will be charged to the dealership per customer). In return the dealership will receive additional allocation in the next allocation period after delivery.
Cross Delivery otion offered at no charge, i.e 991 and 981 customers can take delivery in Leipzig and Cayenne and Panamera delivery in Zuffenhausen.
Two weeks Winter Tire Rental included at no charge October to March.
Details should be coming online on the Porsche Website under Events and Racing Travel Programs
Thanks, that's really useful. Effectively the car isn't coming out of the dealer's allocation as they get a replacement car.

This is now worth something and, though I won't use it this time around, may take advantage off in the future.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:42 PM
Configur8rs
Track Day

I spoke with dealer today and he said that PCNA were coming out with new Euro delivery information later this week, and he'd get back to me with what he finds out.

One thing that may be changing is how VAT is handled, but other than that he did not have details about what was up for grabs.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:42 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i spoke with jamie @ European Delivery <European.Delivery@porsche.us>

he was very helpful with the details,

they are also working on flight arrangements with lufthansa and hotel arrangements as well....
Old 02-14-2012, 05:42 PM
Configur8rs
Track Day

I just spoke with dealer and he said that Porsche was looking at dropping the VAT requirement. Has anyone heard this? It would be nice not to tie up that 19% for a few weeks.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:11 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Configur8or
I just spoke with dealer and he said that Porsche was looking at dropping the VAT requirement. Has anyone heard this? It would be nice not to tie up that 19% for a few weeks.
In the past (well since '99 at least) Porsche has been taking a $10K VAT deposit, not the full 19%, and returning it with interest. Even at "only" $10K, however, your point is well taken.....
Old 02-14-2012, 06:39 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default The European Delivery Program still has room for improvement!

The Dealership will cover customer costs- ( a flat fee of $2,995.00 will be charged to the dealership per customer). In return the dealership will receive additional allocation in the next allocation period after delivery.
This is new information and obviously you are privy to some dealer insider knowledge, which is both useful & telling. My issue with this new PAG program is that it doesn't go far enough. And more importantly, that it is not giving us the monetary advantage (savings) that the German government & taxpayers intended by giving a tax break to German auto manufacturers for each car sold via the European Delivery program in Germany!

For you to understand my point, let me explain how the European Delivery Program started. It was the brainchild in the mid-1950's of West German economic planners that were desperately trying to come up with new ways to help West German economic recovery after WWII. Not only did West Germany needed to find new overseas clients for its re-emerging auto industry, but Germans wanted to encourage international travel to visit the 'Homeland'. The principal purpose for the latter was reaping the financial benefits of tourism. Hard to imagine now, but in the early 1950's most Americans perception of Germany was as a devastated country of bombed-out ruins and an impoverished 'volk'. By the mid-fifties, the rebuilding of Germans cities was greatly completed and Germans were trying to compete with the flourishing Post-War tourism being experienced by France, Italy and Britain. But equally important, Germans hoped that their personal one-to-one inter-action with foreigners, especially with the prosperous Americans tourists, would gather the goodwill to help it politically back in the US with continued funding of America's expensive defense commitment to its 'new' West German ally. As a result, the West German government gave its auto manufacturers a direct monetary incentive for each German car sold and delivered to a non-resident foreigner within the borders of Germany. The ED program was a great success and became part of what became known as the Wirtschaftswunder, or German Economic Miracle, which characterized the successful era of Chancellor Konrad Adenauer and that of his savvy Economic Minister at the time, Ludwig Erhard.

In the early days, no auto maker made better use of marketing the benefits & savings of the European Delivery Program than Porsche. Starting in the mid-1950's, Bill Sholar (founder of PCA) with the help of Max Hoffman (Porsche's US importer) put together what became known as 'Treffens' for Americans going to Zuffenhausen for picking up their Porsches at the factory. Up to fifty and more 356s were delivered at a time in those early days on these PCA sponsored trips!

As the German car industry matured & prospered, and the Cold War ended & Germany was reunified, the favorable tax treatments perhaps were no longer as important. However, it is my contention that they still exist in some form and account for why both BMW and Mercedes are still offering substantial savings to its customers on their European Delivery programs! There is no savings to the auto manufacturer for European Delivery...only additional expenses. So to offer ED for 'free', or to even offer a discount on the price of the vehicle itself, is highly disadventageous to the firm from a strict monetary perspective. That is unless it's heavily subsidize by the German government. Then it all makes sense!

Until this recent announcement by PAG to provide us with a 'no-cost' European Delivery program, Porsche was actively discouraging its international customers from taking delivery in Europe by charging an additional cost for ED. I am grateful for this new program is 'free'. But I would really appreciate if Porsche, like their competitors BMW and Mercedes, actually passes along whatever tax benefits they are still receiving from the German government to incentivize these ED sales. After all, that money from the German taxpayers was intended to do two things - for us to buy additional German cars while at the same time generate tourism for Germany. No one that has ever done European Delivery ever forgets that incredible experience. It uniquely forms a bond between customer, manufacturer and the host country than can never be duplicated by purchasing the same vehicle at your local US dealer! BMW today has one of the most active ED programs in the business and it generates an impressive volume of 'additional sales' for BMW at their Munich 'Welt'. There is a great opportunity for Porsche here too...if they dare to exploit it intelligently!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 02-15-2012, 03:10 PM
air-cooled
Track Day

Just privy to the bulletins that come across my desk daily, this program was announced on 02/01 so other dealers should also be aware of details. I agree with, still room for improvement, but, also feel this is a big move in the right direction. When Porsche gets to the volume that BMW/Mercedes does on Tourist Delivery I cant imagine what the comments on the values of the mass produced vehicles will be. We enjoy our product and want the exclusivity but want to own them like heavily incentivized BMW/Mercedes products. Possibly after nearly 30 years with the product I've been brainwashed and accept the fees needed to operate Tourist Delivery Centers with English Speaking translators, Insurance Coverage, etc. VAT Tax deposit will be at the Dealer descretion, and should the car not return the dealership is charged the full 19% VAT. And finally I've never had anyone who could not meet or beat the Lufthansa rates with a little effort on their own. These discouonted rates are nothing new to the program but have yet to see if they have changed.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:28 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
And more importantly, that it is not giving us the monetary advantage (savings) that the German government & taxpayers intended by giving a tax break to German auto manufacturers for each car sold via the European Delivery program in Germany!
The intent of the German government and the taxpayers with the tax break probably had less to do with giving us the monetary advantage, and more to do with boosting exports. Sorry, I understand what you are saying -- just messing with you.

Anyone know if a walk-through of Porsche Classic restoration work shop is
part of the new tweaked program? Fingers crossed.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:58 PM
Jsonorous
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This drives me INSANE! I spent $2250 last year to pick up my Cayenne S in Leipzig.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:00 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Possibly after nearly 30 years with the product I've been brainwashed and accept the fees needed to operate Tourist Delivery Centers with English Speaking translators
30 years? Then you must remember when Porsche actually gave us a discount on European Delivery. I did a European Delivery 944 in 1982 and a 944 Turbo in 1986 and got a discount on both. Keep in mind that factory delivery is an everyday occurrence at the Porsche factory. Many German customers order their cars from their neighborhood Porsche dealer but take delivery at the factory. So they are already set up for factory delivery domestically and most of the staff that works in that department is multi-lingual. So the additional volume of car sales generated by a more advantageous European Delivery Program for US buyers would not necessarily add to staffing or facility expenses to PAG since they already have that 'cost' fixed in place. But I do agree that the insurance, registration and forwarding logistics (an independent agent accepts cars at various locations in Europe and gets them to port) does add to the expense of the program over regular stateside dealer delivery! But my point is that the German government is 'paying' for it and then some - so why not pass the savings on to us and generate more sales and visits to the 'Fatherland'!

Originally Posted by fbroen
The intent of the German government and the taxpayers with the tax break probably had less to do with giving us the monetary advantage, and more to do with boosting exports. Sorry, I understand what you are saying -- just messing with you.
Correct. I am thoroughly messed with.

Back on topic, I am quite supportive of the new program, just wish it could be improved. But as it stands, it does have some very innovative and useful characteristics. Let me point out one in particular: the winter tire rental which is included at no extra cost. Let me quote from what I posted on this topic over at the gt3 forum several days ago:

"The inclusion of winter tires is an innovative and desirable addition to any European Delivery program. BMW, which has had the most successful ED program in recent years, started a 'winter' tire rental program in 2007, shortly after I picked up my 650i Convertible in Munich. As the attached photo demonstrates, I could have used them on my November pick-up. The sudden snow near the German Alps forced me to drastically change my vacation plans and head to France instead (Sacrebleu!). But I know of friends that had to park their ED BMW's in Austria and continue their European trip via train due to winter snow!

The winter tires is not only an added convenience for its ED customers, but perhaps a necessity because of changing rules about winter tires in Germany and liability issues for the manufacturer. Germany has one of the strictest rules regarding use of proper tires for winter driving. European Delivery of summer performance tires in late fall and winter became an increasing liability for companies like BMW, as it also forced most of their ED customers to violate German laws for use of appropriate winter tires for that season. This 'liability' would be compounded if any of these ED cars became involved in an accident on a public road due to inclement winter weather while driving with summer tires as delivered by the manufacturer a week or two before.

Porsche, by not currently giving a discount on ED like their competitors, is willing to absorb the cost of this winter tires rental to comply with this new 'best practice' and comply with recommended tires for use in winter by German authorities I miss the nice discounts I got on my previous two Porsches purchased via European Delivery. But this winter tire offer is a welcomed addition to any 'smart' European Delivery program and Porsche should be commended for implementing it!"

Saludos,
Eduardo (z356), Carmel
Old 02-24-2012, 02:42 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

If you have a little time, go read my article on Euro Delivery that was published in Porsche Panorama in 2008. http://coochas.com/porsche/Resources...roDelivery.pdf

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: European delivery