Don't hate me, I got a GTR

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 10:26 AM
naka
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't hate me, I got a GTR

I swear, I'm not a troll.

My dream car has always been a GT3. And I always drool whenever I see one.

Always wanted one. But I couldn't afford it. So I first owned a Civic, then an S2000. As work improved, I moved up the ladder to an M3 (E36 and E46), and when finally I am ready to make the jump, I made the MISTAKE to start researching.

I know. There is NOTHING wrong about a GT3. I can't criticize it, as it is the car I wanted.

But truth of the matter is, I was in the market for a fast street sports car. With emphasis on "STREET".

So in that regard, I cannot even start comparing the two. Let's face it. The GT3 RS is a TRACK car. Street legal, but a track car non the less.

The GTR is a street car. A fast GT. Not a TRACK car by any means, but a street car.

I did not need a dual purpose car. I already have a track car (stripped, fully caged E36 M3). I needed a fast street car.

The GT3 RS is not really a street car. Big wing, bright colored wheels, look-at-me decals, bucket seats, roll bar, super stiff adjustable suspension.....etc. Come on! Porsche designed that car for the track. Not really for the street.

The thing that got me is that "There is something intrinsically wrong with the 911"

Lightweight. More wing than KFC. Semi-slick R-compound rubber. Tires wider than Rosie O'Donnell. And a $65,000 racing engine...

But a 2-ton STREET car on narrower street tires is faster around a track. A track. Its home turf. A street car beating a track car.

How can this be?!!!

I feel offended by it. How can Porsche let this happen? How can they stubbornly stick to a 1950's design?

It's so sad. Really. Because I really like the GT3. But for the money, I needed a street car that goes fast. Not a track car that can be driven on the street.

The turbo was an option, but more money, and same compromises. Lighter, more rubber, same power, fancy engine, but still a compromise of a car.

Yes, the 911 is more attractive. But have you ever dated a super hot woman that rocks in the private quarters but it can be a "B" if you don't say the right thing (or fail to say anything at all)?

Well, I have. And let me tell you. There are only so many nights you can wake up to next to a super model. It eventually gets old.

The GTR is just different. Like dating an Asian, Indian or Hispanic girl. Not for everybody. But more exclusive. A different kind of beauty. And if they are always sweet and would cook and do laundry for you too, then they instantly become keeper material.

I love the racing heritage and all that. But that's an argument my grandpa would use.

Besides, Nissan is owned by Renault. A company that has DOMINATED Formula 1, the pinnacle of motorsport and automotive engineering excellence for more than 20 years. A category of racing that Porsche could not even afford to participate in (it's been almost 30 years since they participated last).

Renault/Infinitiy/Nissan are the engine suppliers for the current F1 World Chamipions (Red Bull Racing). So, despite making "cheap cars", they have the engineering know-how to make a car go fast.

Porsche does too. So it's a shame they don't put it to good use and build a proper Cayman with 911 power.

Sorry for my rant. I just needed to vent to Porsche. For not building the car I wanted. So I chose to vote with my wallet.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

oh boy, here it comes.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:37 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess you should this post to PCNA, not Rennlist. At best, you will get very interesting replays, if any.

Enjoy the GTR.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:40 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

inner beauty
Old 03-27-2012, 10:44 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,591 Likes on 737 Posts

Don't hate you but you are so wrong.

GTR most uncomfortable car. Had it replaced with an old CL65, faster then GTR on the street..

The retarded midget in the GTR gearbox is so annoying I could not stand driving it for more then a week. Clunky POS.

RS is much more comfortable on the street then GTR.

GTR on track everything is overheating after 5 laps.
That does not matter as you don't track, I just wonder why you want to be so uncomfortable bouncing around on the street?

Nice car for the money when they were 75K, but now no longer.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by naka
... of course you're not.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by naka

My dream car has always been a GT3. And I always drool whenever I see one.

Always wanted one. But I couldn't afford it. So I first owned a Civic, then an S2000. As work improved, I moved up the ladder to an M3 (E36 and E46), and when finally I am ready to make the jump, I made the MISTAKE to start researching.

I know. There is NOTHING wrong about a GT3. I can't criticize it, as it is the car I wanted.

But truth of the matter is, I was in the market for a fast street sports car. With emphasis on "STREET".

So in that regard, I cannot even start comparing the two. Let's face it. The GT3 RS is a TRACK car. Street legal, but a track car non the less.

The GTR is a street car. A fast GT. Not a TRACK car by any means, but a street car.

I did not need a dual purpose car. I already have a track car (stripped, fully caged E36 M3). I needed a fast street car.

The GT3 RS is not really a street car. Big wing, bright colored wheels, look-at-me decals, bucket seats, roll bar, super stiff adjustable suspension.....etc. Come on! Porsche designed that car for the track. Not really for the street.

The thing that got me is that "There is something intrinsically wrong with the 911"

Lightweight. More wing than KFC. Semi-slick R-compound rubber. Tires wider than Rosie O'Donnell. And a $65,000 racing engine...

But a 2-ton STREET car on narrower street tires is faster around a track. A track. Its home turf. A street car beating a track car.

How can this be?!!!

I feel offended by it. How can Porsche let this happen? How can they stubbornly stick to a 1950's design?

It's so sad. Really. Because I really like the GT3. But for the money, I needed a street car that goes fast. Not a track car that can be driven on the street.

The turbo was an option, but more money, and same compromises. Lighter, more rubber, same power, fancy engine, but still a compromise of a car.

Yes, the 911 is more attractive. But have you ever dated a super hot woman that rocks in the private quarters but it can be a "B" if you don't say the right thing (or fail to say anything at all)?

Well, I have. And let me tell you. There are only so many nights you can wake up to next to a super model. It eventually gets old.

The GTR is just different. Like dating an Asian, Indian or Hispanic girl. Not for everybody. But more exclusive. A different kind of beauty. And if they are always sweet and would cook and do laundry for you too, then they instantly become keeper material.

I love the racing heritage and all that. But that's an argument my grandpa would use.

Besides, Nissan is owned by Renault. A company that has DOMINATED Formula 1, the pinnacle of motorsport and automotive engineering excellence for more than 20 years. A category of racing that Porsche could not even afford to participate in (it's been almost 30 years since they participated last).

Renault/Infinitiy/Nissan are the engine suppliers for the current F1 World Chamipions (Red Bull Racing). So, despite making "cheap cars", they have the engineering know-how to make a car go fast.

Porsche does too. So it's a shame they don't put it to good use and build a proper Cayman with 911 power.

Sorry for my rant. I just needed to vent to Porsche. For not building the car I wanted. So I chose to vote with my wallet.

Blah.....Blah.....Blah......Did you say something
Old 03-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As long as you always park next to a new Cammaro, your car will look beautiful. Next to anything else, not so much. Enjoy the performance though, and I understand your situation, I couldn't afford a Porsche for a long time either.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:05 AM
tripleblack
Racer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance
Old 03-27-2012, 11:09 AM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 64 Posts

I was "kind of" agreeing with you up until you criticized Porsche for the RS being slower than GTR on track. You completely missed the point....

It's 2 things really. A) your GTR wouldn't last more than 5 hard laps before going into safe mode, and B) it's about the character and experience the RS gives you. GTR is a video game.

You should a lot of ignorance in your post. True car enthusiast would get it....
Old 03-27-2012, 11:10 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Blah.....Blah.....Blah......Did you say something
Clicked "Like"
Old 03-27-2012, 11:10 AM
naka
Track Day

Originally Posted by Hoosier_Daddy
... of course you're not.
I'm sorry if I came out as one. Didn't mean to.

I just wanted to see if you guys, GT3 owners feels the same way. As if the GT3 could be better than what it is now.

Of course all cars can be better. But what I'm referring to, is to the intentional engineering compromise that Porsche sticks to, I'm assuming just based on marketing forces, rather than pure engineering design.

Again, I apologize if I offended anybody. It is not my intention. It was just meant to be a healthy conversation between a lifetime Porsche admirer and car enthusiast to a Porsche owner and hopefully unbiassed car enthusiast.

I admit that I may be making a mistake, as this decision has been long coming for the past 5 months. In fact, I was about to send a check to buy the RS that was stolen from a forum member in California. But the car was stolen the night before. Call it as you will. Fate works in strange ways.

But there is only one way to find out, isn't it? Even Darth Vader came back to the good size of the force before he died. So don't give up on me yet. It's only a 3 year lease.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:11 AM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at a GTR for the street and ended up buying a BMW 550i M-Sport with Dinan S2 package. Much more comfortable and plenty fast. When I need my sports car fix, I take the GT3 to the track. In any event the GTR is a special car in its own way....enjoy it.

Go find a GTR forum and rant about how sad the GT3 is over there....I'm sure they'd love to join in.....

Personally, I wouldn't trade you for either of my cars.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:21 AM
RAPID
Racer

Don't hate you! Enjoy the GTR and maybe see you back in 3 years...
Old 03-27-2012, 11:31 AM
naka
Track Day

Originally Posted by The Greek
I was "kind of" agreeing with you up until you criticized Porsche for the RS being slower than GTR on track. You completely missed the point....

It's 2 things really. A) your GTR wouldn't last more than 5 hard laps before going into safe mode, and B) it's about the character and experience the RS gives you. GTR is a video game.

You should a lot of ignorance in your post. True car enthusiast would get it....

I guess I misspoke. So please give me the opportunity to clarify.

I wasn't criticizing the RS for being slower. Because we all well know it is a hell of a fast car. Few people can drive the car at its true capabilities. Even experienced track junkies can't (Instructed a few share of them on regular GT3's and so far I haven't seen a single one, even instructors, driving it at its edge. So I'm still waiting for a ride with Seth). And even though it's been driven at 7/10th, it is still as fast as explosive diarrhea.

What I was remarking, is that how come a heavy pig "street" GT be just as fast, without all the aero, and special rubber. It seems as if it defies logic. But not really. It is just good engineering. It is something Porsche excels at, but refuses to use to its full potential.

Yes, I know the the GTR wouldn't last long on the track. As it wasn't designed for it. Even my E46 M3 wouldn't last long on the track without overheating. Again, it is a street car. Not a track car.

And about the "video game" statement, I don't really know. I haven't had the opportunity to run it on the track yet. But Jeremy Clarkson and Chris Harris (big Porsche aficionado) seem to differ with you. And they've driven both in anger.

Quick Reply: Don't hate me, I got a GTR