944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Extremely tempted by 83 944...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 09:29 PM
BenPatient
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extremely tempted by 83 944...

I have been looking around on the 944 market, and today i saw an 83 944 for 2700 obo...

It's silver, repainted (but well painted) with 17" 993 cup rims and a flawless exterior. Black interior with 911 seats installed and a couple of interior problems, like the passenger door only opens from the inside, the power windows have some issues, it's a bit loud on the start-up, rattly interior and a bit loud....

the engine is smooth in delivery and the transmission (5-spd) is pretty great as far as i can tell...

It's had the belts done in the last year and the water pump replaced along with the alternator and a couple of other things.

The brake calipers are rusted, but the discs are in what appears to be good shape and there are new pads on it.

The 255/45/17 unidirectionals on the back have good tread left, which is good because they're like 200 bucks a piece not installed.

Anyway, my biggest "question" is about something that seems to be alignment...at about 55-65 the steering wheel shudders quite a bit. After that speed, it begins to back off the shuddering until it all but stops at considerable speed...

the car did not pull to the left or right as far as i could tell, however....

is there any sort of known issue on the early 944s that would lead you all to believe that this was a more serious problem than an alignment would fix???

I'm buying this car because i've been dying to join the porsche fold for years, and the 944 is about the cheapest way into the family....it's not my main car, and would probably only come out 1 or 2 times a week until the summer...the sunroof (which is i think a targa-like thing because it just pops off and goes in the back?) doesn't leak, and the guy said that if you keep the car clean, it doesn't leak in the back through the seal...but it does when the spoiler drain holes get clogged...

I guess i'm just looking for someone with experience to tell me that this is a good deal that i should jump on...
Old 02-01-2004, 10:15 AM
Gerald Allgire
Instructor

Sounds like the front tires may be out of balance, or you might have a rotor with too much run-out. I had this on my 84. I replaced the front rotors, $59, and it went away.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:48 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dunno -- sounds like this car has alot of problems, but nothing that can't be fixed if you're willing to get your hands dirty. Depending on the area, you often see pre-85.5 under $3K (often being a couple of times a month), so I wouldn't be in a rush. You'll want to get a PPI done anyways, so you could get a mechanic's opinion then.

The big pluses are the wheels and the tires -- but are they real Cup 2 wheels? If so, they must have spacers on to fit older 944s. Either way, the clean wheels are worth around $600. What brand tires?
Old 02-13-2004, 11:35 PM
divezic
7th Gear

Your front-end shudder is a common 944 problem. The earlier (Pre 85.5 year models) 944s had a stamped steel A-arm which seems to have something to do with the shudder. Not all of 'em have it but I've seen a lot of posts here and Pelican Parts with it. And my '84 has it 68-75 mph.

I would think that those 45 profile 17 inch tires are exacerbating the problem too. The suspension is set up for 215/60/15 tires with a 15x7" rim. The 255/45/17 is a lot of mass, real wide, and very stiff.

What I'm going to try is

1-replace the entire front suspension with new parts (A-arms, tie rods, bushings, ball joints, bearings, shocks) because mine are really worn out.
2-new rims that I am sure are round.
3-new tires with a good balance job
4-4 wheel alignment

If this doesn't fix it then I'm going to try to install a steering stabilizer to dampen out the resonance to a speed where the amplitude is not noticable.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:51 AM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only way you will come out on this car. is, if he gives you the car and about $5,000. Butttttt!!!!!!! I actually think it would be fun to see how good you can that car, for as little money as you can get by with. I would offer in the $1,500 or a little lower range.

Bill Seifert

P.S. I know were there is a real nice one, only probs, cracked leather seats, and one small ding. $2,500.

1983 944 Race Car
1987 944S Race Car under const.

Quick Reply: Extremely tempted by 83 944...