Starter recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 02:25 PM
Pete
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter recommendation

Hey Guys,
'86 944 that hasn't run for 10 years seems to need a new starter/solenoid. I can't get the solenoid to work or the starter motor to run on the bench with a fully charged battery. I can turn the starter gear by hand but the bendix is stuck in the withdrawn position, I see starter/solenoids for anywhere from $50 to over $500 and wonder what you all would recommend? I'm leaning to a re-manufactured Bosch for a little over $200 but I saw a comment someplace, could have been here, of someone's bad expedrience with the rebuilt Bosch. A buddy runs the local NAPA and thought I'd so see him this week, have him bench test my starter/solenoid, and to see what he has.

Thanks for any opinions,

Pete
Old 09-07-2020, 04:19 PM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 267 Posts

I'd recommend a used one until the car can prove itself worthy.
Give Plyhammer parts a call.
You'll likely also need a fuel pump to get it running.
Old 09-07-2020, 04:28 PM
Pete
Instructor

Thanks Gage. Already have a new fuel pump and filter, tank to pump and pump to filter hoses, have fuel to fuel rail, new battery, 4 brake calipers rebuilt, brakes flushed and bled, coolant drained and replaced, trans-axle oil drained and replaced, wanting to crank it over to build oil pressure before draining and replacing oil and filter. I'm sure the car is worthy but I need to get it running.

Thanks,
Pete
Old 09-07-2020, 06:51 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Hey Guys,
'86 944 that hasn't run for 10 years seems to need a new starter/solenoid. I can't get the solenoid to work or the starter motor to run on the bench with a fully charged battery. I can turn the starter gear by hand but the bendix is stuck in the withdrawn position, I see starter/solenoids for anywhere from $50 to over $500 and wonder what you all would recommend? I'm leaning to a re-manufactured Bosch for a little over $200 but I saw a comment someplace, could have been here, of someone's bad expedrience with the rebuilt Bosch. A buddy runs the local NAPA and thought I'd so see him this week, have him bench test my starter/solenoid, and to see what he has.

Thanks for any opinions,

Pete
Deleted

Last edited by T&T Racing; 09-07-2020 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:52 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Hey Guys,

Thanks for any opinions,

Pete
I purchased a Bosch rebuilt starter from a reliable Porsche internet seller. It is not his issue, but after 2 years the solenoid failed. The manufacturer of the solenoid is not evident, an orphan with no name. Sent an email to supplier for a heads up and he thanked me.

The starter fits a BMW and the Bosch replacement solenoid is available from FCP Euro for $58.

Last edited by T&T Racing; 09-07-2020 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:04 AM
Pete
Instructor

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
I purchased a Bosch rebuilt starter from a reliable Porsche internet seller. It is not his issue, but after 2 years the solenoid failed. The manufacturer of the solenoid is not evident, an orphan with no name. Sent an email to supplier for a heads up and he thanked me.

The starter fits a BMW and the Bosch replacement solenoid is available from FCP Euro for $58.
Thanks, that's basically what I heard
Old 09-09-2020, 10:46 PM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

You've got two threads going here Pete. I posted on your other thread.
Old 09-12-2020, 12:53 PM
Pete
Instructor

Originally Posted by michaelmount123
You've got two threads going here Pete. I posted on your other thread.
I misspelled "Recommendation" in the other thread, tried to delete it, but couldn't figure out how to do it!

Thanks,
Pete
Old 09-12-2020, 09:11 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 640 Likes on 478 Posts

I don't know if you're up for it, and it will definitely help to have 4 hands available, but in the process of (mis)diagnosing what was wrong with my car @Majestic Moose and I tore mine apart, cleaned it, and got it put back together again in under an hour (to be clear, the misdiagnosis was because of a very basic screw up on my part). What I'm getting at is that if it's just a case of lubing things up or maybe replacing a spring in the thing, it might not be all that bad to see if you can't get it working. It comes apart pretty easily and is pretty straightforward to get apart and back together. If you're convinced it's the solenoid, I can't really help, but the mechanicals are pretty straighforward and I was surprised to find that there were no bearings in there.

Good luck!
Old 09-14-2020, 10:27 AM
Pete
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zirconocene
I don't know if you're up for it, and it will definitely help to have 4 hands available, but in the process of (mis)diagnosing what was wrong with my car @Majestic Moose and I tore mine apart, cleaned it, and got it put back together again in under an hour (to be clear, the misdiagnosis was because of a very basic screw up on my part). What I'm getting at is that if it's just a case of lubing things up or maybe replacing a spring in the thing, it might not be all that bad to see if you can't get it working. It comes apart pretty easily and is pretty straightforward to get apart and back together. If you're convinced it's the solenoid, I can't really help, but the mechanicals are pretty straighforward and I was surprised to find that there were no bearings in there.

Good luck!
Thanks for your comments. I removed the starter and bench tested it and the solenoid and starter motor were frozen up solid. As a check I had O''Reilly test it and they came up with the same result. I had tried to disassemble it myself but the Philips head screws were also frozen up so I got a remanufactured unit at O'Reilly's (Bosch, remanufactured in Mexico) so the starter is all taken care of now.
Thanks,
'Pete

Quick Reply: Starter recommendation