944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

rear hatch motor question

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 09:36 PM
neversinksmith
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default rear hatch motor question

i just disassembled the two rear hatch latches and cleaned greased installed and adjusted. they both work perfect and hatch pops open w key no problem. i replaced the cable from hatch release motor, rear hatch motor and mechanism work fine w the button also.

heres my question;

is the arm on the motor that pulls the end of the cable supposed to spin around and around in a circle when the button is held down? it would make more sense that there would be a micro switch that stopped it after it allowed the latches to reset to the closed position.
my point is if i release the button the moment the trunk hatch pops, then the latches are still in the open position and the rear hatch cant latch when i try to close it. i have to then hold the motor button down for a second until the arm comes around a bit so the latches are closed again.

sorry if im not being clear this is kind of hard to describe
the cable is also adjusted out as long as it can be

Last edited by neversinksmith; 12-26-2020 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:32 PM
neversinksmith
Instructor

after some more hard found research i found out that the motor should only make one revolution and come to rest at the same spot it started. mine spins until i release the button and stops whenever i release the button. is this a wiring issue or a bad motor issue?
Old 02-27-2022, 09:19 AM
Mattman928
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure if you solved this, but if its similar to the 928 motor, there is a 1 amp fuse in the panel that is part of the braking circuit for these motors. There is a powered circuit and a braking circuit. If the fuse is blown then the motor will stop one you release the button.

Originally Posted by neversinksmith
after some more hard found research i found out that the motor should only make one revolution and come to rest at the same spot it started. mine spins until i release the button and stops whenever i release the button. is this a wiring issue or a bad motor issue?
Old 02-27-2022, 10:47 AM
neversinksmith
Instructor

Thanks. Should have let viewers know I solved the issue. One of the contact arms in the motor had broken off. Got a new motor and shes good to go
Old 02-27-2022, 07:40 PM
armyprsdoc
Track Day

I have the same issue. Thanks for posting. I'll get a new motor sometime.
Old 02-27-2022, 08:10 PM
neversinksmith
Instructor

Originally Posted by armyprsdoc
I have the same issue. Thanks for posting. I'll get a new motor sometime.
dont forget to check fuse also as stated above. The wiper will work but not “park” if that fuse is blown
Old 02-27-2022, 08:32 PM
Mattman928
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

On the 928, which I believe is similar to the 944 motor, if the fuse is blown, the motor will only run when the button is pulled and held. The breaking circuit is an active circuit, if the fuse is blown the. The motor will stop as soon as the button is releases and so t make the full cycle
Old 02-27-2022, 08:52 PM
neversinksmith
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mattman928
On the 928, which I believe is similar to the 944 motor, if the fuse is blown, the motor will only run when the button is pulled and held. The breaking circuit is an active circuit, if the fuse is blown the. The motor will stop as soon as the button is releases and so t make the full cycle
correct.
Same w 944
Old 06-11-2022, 05:30 PM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Having this same issue. Motor cycles open but not closed. My car is an '88 Turbo S but I can't seem to locate the 1 amp fuse. Any advice?

Quick Reply: rear hatch motor question