944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Sparks under gauge cluster!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 10:12 PM
isuckwithcars
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sparks under gauge cluster!

Hey guys so I just picked up an 86 944 NA base model project that needed a few things to get back up to spec, I started by reupholstering the dashboard/center console and everything, I plugged everything in, put it all back together, turned the key to start it once again and boom! sparks under the freaking dash seeming to be coming from the gauge cluster. It sparked pretty bad and smoked pretty good too, any ideas of what it could be or what could've happened? I made sure all the connections were secure, not sure what I could've missed. I'm going to take it back apart tomorrow to look for the melted wires (I'm sure there are some), and I'll get back to you all and let you know what i found. everything else seems to be alright! If anyone has had experience with this or similar situations let me know. Take it easy on the comments, I realize I probably did something dumb, and this is my first Porsche haha. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Old 02-04-2021, 04:15 PM
isuckwithcars
3rd Gear

Default Update!!

Update on the situation. I took the gauge cluster out, looked around for any melted wires, etc, and couldn't find anything. The smoke was coming from beneath the cluster which made me think there was a possible issue with the ignition. With the cluster out i hooked up the battery, and put the key in, turned it and... nothing. Not a spark. no power to starter for sure. I believe one of the many wires within my ignition got melted due to either a bad connection or ground which cause it to arc and spark so much. Any other suggestions on what could have caused this? It was literally plug and play for everything and I don't remember messing with the ignition at all since I didn't have to. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2021, 04:40 PM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 268 Posts

The rotary dimmer switch near the ignition is a common place for smoke to leak out of.
Old 02-04-2021, 05:53 PM
924martinirossi
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing Leaking Smoke

In case you need to replace the leaking smoke, you can get it here:

http://whereisbobl.com/tiger/smoke.html.

It will also work on German cars.

I do remember when this was for sale on Ebay!

Michael

Old 02-04-2021, 07:54 PM
isuckwithcars
3rd Gear

Thats awesome, I'll definitely have to take it into considerations

Quick Reply: Sparks under gauge cluster!