944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Introduction and my 944S

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2022, 09:34 AM
DonaldBuswell
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Introduction and my 944S

Hi friends, I'm over on the 928 side most of the time and discovered this 944 forum here on RL, doh, I know, silly! I found my 87 944S down abandoned at Dinsdale Pirhana's place in Port Lavaca as the owner said F it over 8 years ago, and Jeff was tired of looking at it and called me up to come haul it away. Well, you can't actually steal a car...Jeff had no mechanics lein on it so I found the owner, send him a letter offering to buy it, he accepted my offer of 200 bucks but wanted 200 more so we arranged a meet time and he showed up with Title in hand and off I went and am in my 944S rebuild.

I am a professional media blaster and own a small company specializing in this and have done several top end jobs for the 928 folks and they all are happy campers. As I remove parts I blast them and prepare them for future utilization, the Cam cover and Phone dials are all done and nearly done respectively. The car is fully complete and no hacking or modifying was done at all, it has just 64k miles, and the car is a 5 speed Guards Red w black interior, with no LSD rear end. It has spark, Leak Down test is inconclusive as the motor is cold. Motor mounts are toast, and there is evidence of a massive oil leak on the front passenger side of the motor. I am debating whether to do a full body-off like I did my 928's but space right now is very tight and limited, The battery tray is toast and the rot went and destroyed a segment of the right inner wheel well too, which I am repairing.

So, where does one go for 944 parts? On the 928 side we go to Roger and or Mark at 928sRus and 928 International, respectively and I use them both for services. Roger can get 944 parts, Mark does not deal with 944 cars. I really am liking the 944S! Back in 1988 when I was a young PFC in the Army I would scheme and dream of how to afford a 944 as it was the economical car to buy from Porsche at that time, but, $27K was a LOT back then on a PFC salary so it was out of reach.

If you want to see videos of my 944S and my work I am undertaking...dr blast on you tube is where I put my videos, videos are much more informative than pics, but, pics convey details which are needed when re-assembling a car, so I still take tons of pics with my SLR even though the iPhone 12+ max has better photographic capabilities than this SLR, crazy times indeed when that is reality.

Thanks all and looking fwd to browsing these threads here. Tschüß
Old 02-11-2022, 06:02 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 643 Likes on 480 Posts

Hi Don-

There are a few folks that are really focused on the 944, who are great about supporting the community. In no particular order: only944, 944online, Paragon, Vertex, FCPEuro, RockAuto (I'm sure you already know some of those). On the used side of things, Plyhammer's Parts and Lart's Parts seem to be popular. I have no experience but 944 Barn (?) is on facebook and has a lot of parts cars available.

MfG
The following users liked this post:
DonaldBuswell (02-11-2022)
Old 02-11-2022, 07:03 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Zirconocene
Hi Don-

There are a few folks that are really focused on the 944, who are great about supporting the community. In no particular order: only944, 944online, Paragon, Vertex, FCPEuro, RockAuto (I'm sure you already know some of those). On the used side of things, Plyhammer's Parts and Lart's Parts seem to be popular. I have no experience but 944 Barn (?) is on facebook and has a lot of parts cars available.

MfG
dcAuto Porsche for used parts, new parts, Pelican Parts, Lindsey Racing
The following users liked this post:
DonaldBuswell (02-11-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 11:06 AM
DonaldBuswell
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts

I have decided to do a Body Off on this car. Just too many little issues that need attending to to make right that would require way too much time, so, this way I will get it all clean and serviced easily, all parts will be removed, and media blasted, then painted or powdercoated much like my 928S4 as seen here. I will use this yellow stand I built for my 928 on the 944 with some slight modifications to fit the 944 Engine, TT, and Transaxle and rotating (wheels) assemblies all as one unit as I lift the body off. Here, in this photo I am assembling my 928S4. I will post and share pics and videos here as I get them.
Old 08-14-2022, 07:33 PM
austin944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Paragon Products is just down the road in Corpus Christi, and I've had good service from them. I get parts the next day via UPS.

Old 08-17-2022, 10:13 AM
walfreyydo
Burning Brakes

Received 240 Likes on 208 Posts

Just Joshin 944 parts - John Graves on facebook is another good used parts supplier. I have used Plyhammers a lot - their prices are fair but sometimes their website isnt fully up to date (an email inquiry usually works best)

Quick Reply: Introduction and my 944S